sailing with a partially furled headsail - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 Old 06-08-2016

Re: sailing with a partially furled headsail

People tend to attend to halyard tension with their mains but less with their jibs when cruising. Found before using the roller furler a bit more tension on halyard helps. Once headsail is even partially furled adding tension is more difficult. Guess the sail itself when even a little furled adds friction.
Also find adjusting hydraulic backstay is best done before furling for same reason.
After these two adjustments find you get a better flatter shape with no wrinkles. Also less head stay sag which noticeable helps.
Also note sails are build for a particular wind speed range. There is no getting around that. We are noticeably faster with solent then genny above 15kts. even if genny rolled to present same area. We are noticeably faster with two sails up and the boat's sailplan in balance ( neutral helm). Tendency to sail just main or just jib ( except DDW- then faster with twin headsails and no main) should be avoided even if it's "easier". Also think it's harder on the boat and AP when not in balance.
For most boats "flat is fast". Usually faster after reefed and properly trimmed. This may be different if you have rule cheating overhangs.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 06-08-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 Old 06-08-2016

Final thought. Was taught a light air trick. Most furling foils are not round. You can take a turn then a fraction to adjust angle of attack of the foil. Also get a smoother presentation on the leeward side of the foil. For us given way sails roll up it works on port tack only and is worth sometimes as much as a 1/10 of a knot as air stays attached in that key spot. Losing that small bit of sail doesn't seem to matter.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #13 of 37 Old 06-08-2016

In general I agree, but since OP didn't state what model of furler you never know... our new to us boat had a Hood 810 Seafurl continuous line furler that was really only designed to furl the whole sail, not reef it partially... probably not many of those out there these days but worth checking particular model to be sure they refer to it as a "reefing" system as well as "furling" system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I doubt any furler or any genoa cant be successfully partially furled. The technology has been popular for 30 years. So unless your furler and sails are over 30 years old you will not have a problem.

Hailey, Idaho & Bellingham, WA
Sailing blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 37 Old 06-08-2016

This is an excellent point... when changing from a larger to smaller headsail most everyone will also adjust their jib sheet angle, when furling part of their furling headsail in many (well at least speaking for myself) forget to adjust sheet angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
A part of getting a good furl that will still have good shape is the angle of the jib sheet and the tension on the sheet. Get those right and you get a pretty good sail shape if the sail isnt blown out and you have a foam luff.

Hailey, Idaho & Bellingham, WA
Sailing blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 37 Old 06-08-2016

I was surprised at how relatively inexpensive the garhauer adjustable jib car system is. Its a very nice addition to our sail handling setup
post #16 of 37 Old 06-08-2016

Quote:
The speed was measured by gps. All the current prediction tables said I was at slack (lower Chesapeake).
The boat is a 1985 Endeavour 42. 38'LWL weighing 33,000lbs.
Healed over a lot more than we prefer so we shortened again and slowed to 7 knots.

Addendum: healing way over increases our waterline quite a bit. LOA is 42' and I suspect with the curve of the hull our healed waterline is around 45'. Someday, I should measure it! No way do we surf that boat, especially in 3' head seas.
For future reference your hull speed is 8.26 and a bunch of other numbers. I don't know where you were getting the 7.5 anyway, a good way to tell how fast you're really going is how far back the crest of the 2nd wave is from the bow. Lets say you're sailing along and the crest is like 30' from the bow you'd be going 7.5 knot give of take a bunch of numbers after the decimal. On my boat as a general rule I like to see the crest at about the 3rd stanchion I know I'm doing better than six.
post #17 of 37 Old 06-09-2016
Full time cruiser

We sail with a furled jib a lot - depends on the wind and direction -- when we sailed across the Atlantic we had 30-35k of wind for 3 days in 3-4m seas - we reefed the jib way down to a handkerchief along with our inmast furling main -- we balanced out the boat nicely and took pressure off the autopilot and still were well over 5k and not pounding in the big seas and sailing smoothly

we have a saying aboard SoulMates -- reef often reef early - and it works for us - we are not the best sailors around but we take care of our boat and she gets us around
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
Wintering over in Israel
post #18 of 37 Old 06-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckfd View Post
For future reference your hull speed is 8.26 and a bunch of other numbers. I don't know where you were getting the 7.5 anyway.
Oooops, the LWL, according to the Endeavour Owners database is 33'4". Sorry about that. Not sure where I got 38.
post #19 of 37 Old 06-09-2016

Quote:
Oooops, the LWL, according to the Endeavour Owners database is 33'4". Sorry about that. Not sure where I got 38.
Doesn't matter if your delicate flower packs in all the crap mine does I'm sure you have close to the 38' LWL. ;-)
But over ten foot over hangs sound like she (your boat) has some sexy lines think you can post a picture (of the boat)?

√LWL x 1.34 = hull speed or √bow to crest of wake x 1.34 = speed over water , if anybody is wondering how to figure how fast you're going or dead reckon with a compass dividers and a texas instrument...
post #20 of 37 Old 06-09-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck5499 View Post
We sail with a furled jib a lot - depends on the wind and direction -- when we sailed across the Atlantic we had 30-35k of wind for 3 days in 3-4m seas - we reefed the jib way down to a handkerchief along with our inmast furling main -- we balanced out the boat nicely and took pressure off the autopilot and still were well over 5k and not pounding in the big seas and sailing smoothly

we have a saying aboard SoulMates -- reef often reef early - and it works for us - we are not the best sailors around but we take care of our boat and she gets us around
Wise advice!

If I get anywhere near hull speed while solo sailing I reef!

Being at sea on long passages is not about time its about reducing breakages.

I have a total lack of respect for people who skite: we were doing 14 knots!
A) they were not. It was a flash on the screen. 14 knots is 336 miles per day. They were NOT doing that.
B) vastly over hull speed they were surfing down a wave.
C) consequential damage at that speed to autopilot, rudder, rig, and China down below is HUGE.

so if you want to impress me tell me you did an ocean at 5 knots.
To be a God my book say: "we would have loved being out there longer!"
That impressive
chuck5499, zeehag, capta and 2 others like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in