sailing with a partially furled headsail - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 06-08-2016 Thread Starter

sailing with a partially furled headsail

i recently and clumsily hijacked a thread:
(starting from post #25 if you don't get straight to it)

Single Handing a 27' as a first boat? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

I'm looking for opinions regarding using a partially furled headsail...

how bad is it for the sail and/or furler?
recommended furlers for using a sail partially?
modifications to a sail to allow better use partially furled?
additions/ideas about deploying a storm sail (or other smaller sail) from a forestay that has a furler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 06-08-2016

Re: sailing with a partially furled headsail

You have a nice boat.

Depends on type of Furler and sail. Harken and similar with a single line to drum can be partially furled. Some are permeant others like mine can change. I have a split drum which comes off. A blade (smaller sail which doesn't furl) and a laminate again doesn't furl.
Most of the time I use the cruising sail which furls, it is made to furl, its a cruising Dacron sail, it will stretch but is still pretty good.

As a beginner in a 27 don't worry about blowing a furled jib. Furl or reef early.

I prefer to reef the main first. The full jib works better. But I can take advantage of its quick to fur and unfurl when wind is changing.
It makes life easy. I wouldn't go back
post #3 of 37 Old 06-08-2016

Most of today's roller furlers that I'm familiar with will reef a headsail. What happens as the sail reefs, if you think about the sail shape it's a little "baggier" in the middle. So when you reef, the shape will be effected. It will be better at the top and bottom, and kinda bagged out in the middle.

Various sailmakers solve this problem different ways by building some bulk into the sail, particularly in the middle part. For example, sewing in a piece of rope that builds bulk in the middle part. This helps a bit; however, most jibs designed this way are only designed to reef a bit, not a ton. So maybe from a 130% (this is the amount of overlap beyond the triangle formed by the forestay and mast) to maybe 100% (no overlap). Beyond that, this fix still tends to bag out in the middle.

So beyond that, it's time to change headsails. Most people I know who cruise, don't do that often. For instance, in some places seasonal winds are stronger, so they put on a smaller sail during the windy season, and put a bigger one on during the less windy season and live with the limitations. Obviously, changing a headsail on a furler is harder than just winding a bit of it up.

post #4 of 37 Old 06-08-2016

I have a 130 genoa with a foam luff (Mack Sails) that I have rolled WAY down and still had good shape. We were beating into 25+ winds and 3' chop. The boat has a 7.5 hull speed and we were doing 8.5 with the genoa rolled to about 90. It was smooth and nicely shaped.
A part of getting a good furl that will still have good shape is the angle of the jib sheet and the tension on the sheet. Get those right and you get a pretty good sail shape if the sail isnt blown out and you have a foam luff.
post #5 of 37 Old 06-08-2016

Dock

I doubt any furler or any genoa cant be successfully partially furled. The technology has been popular for 30 years. So unless your furler and sails are over 30 years old you will not have a problem.

Furlers are magic. In heavy winds I often jut have a foot or 2 of genoa out. just a smidgeon to keep the bow steady and counter the main trying to turn the boat up.

Play with it and have fun.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
bacinmass (10-25-2016)
post #6 of 37 Old 06-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
I have a 130 genoa with a foam luff (Mack Sails) that I have rolled WAY down and still had good shape. We were beating into 25+ winds and 3' chop. The boat has a 7.5 hull speed and we were doing 8.5 with the genoa rolled to about 90. It was smooth and nicely shaped.
A part of getting a good furl that will still have good shape is the angle of the jib sheet and the tension on the sheet. Get those right and you get a pretty good sail shape if the sail isnt blown out and you have a foam luff.
xy what kind of boat do have, is it a cat? If not something with a 30' waterline that planes up wind I gotta get me one of dem! But I fear you have the brother of my knot meter (a known liar)not to be trusted at any speed...
post #7 of 37 Old 06-08-2016

The speed was measured by gps. All the current prediction tables said I was at slack (lower Chesapeake).
The boat is a 1985 Endeavour 42. 38'LWL (correction; 33'4" LWL) weighing 33,000lbs.
Healed over a lot more than we prefer so we shortened again and slowed to 7 knots.

Addendum: healing way over increases our waterline quite a bit. LOA is 42' and I suspect with the curve of the hull our healed waterline is around 45'. Someday, I should measure it! No way do we surf that boat, especially in 3' head seas.

Last edited by xort; 06-09-2016 at 06:55 AM.
post #8 of 37 Old 06-08-2016

Depends on the boat too. A small West Wight Potter 19 won't sail well with only the head sail for example. You can sail with the partially furled headsail, and a reefed main,(or just the main) but not just the headsail.

This is not specifically an answer to your question, but its a point that needed to be made.
post #9 of 37 Old 06-08-2016
Master Mariner

I hate what I imagine it is doing to our Yankee jib when I sail with it partially furled. It seems to be putting all kinds of stress on areas of the sail that shouldn't be stressed that way. We also begin shortening sail with the main, so it's got to be around 35 knots before we begin shortening the jib, so perhaps that has something to do with my feelings about the stresses.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #10 of 37 Old 06-08-2016

A properly selected full sail will always be the better choice, esp for beating, but as generally agreed to above today's furlers are fine for 'reefing'.

Our 130 genoa has marks on the foot and leech at the 100% mark, with tack & head reinforcement there to help support the loads in those areas when partially furled.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in