Clueless Sailors? - Page 12 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 135 Old 10-24-2016
Master Mariner

Re: Clueless Sailors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayDreamer41 View Post
Muskegon lake at the mouth of the channel, weaving through a bunch of small fishing boats with a 10 tonne vessel The salmon must have been running good as the fishing boats were as thick as thieves in the channel or the lake is just too rough for the smaller vessels.
In '85 I had to enter that channel and I guess the USCG is still unwilling to do their job to this day, keeping that channel clear for traffic. However, I was piloting an 80' vessel which required some speed for steerage way, and that really freaked out the fishermen as I weaved my way through their little boats, perhaps catching a few of their lines as I did so.
Just like with the fish buoys in the NE, the CG seems to bow to the will of the locals rather than doing their job of enforcing a clear channel.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 10-24-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 135 Old 10-24-2016

I know nothing about how Canada funds their roads; I know your taxes are generally higher so its possible that usage taxes actually do pay for the infrastructure and you don't need to dip into general funds to keep asphalt under your tires. I know that in the US a large portion of the funds for roads come from property, income, and sales taxes, and thus are paid by drivers and cyclists alike.

But you certainly make the transportation scene up there sound like an absolute nightmare! I don't think I'd want to drive or bike in Toronto from your description. I guess my next Canadian vacation will be to BC instead.

For an example of a city where bicycling works, I present Minneapolis. Since 2000 we have more than doubled the number trips taken by bike, to 4% of all trips. This is averaged over the year, so the seasonal numbers are probably more like 6% of trips in the summer and 2% in the winter. This is a large enough number to be noticeable in traffic patterns.

In the same time the number of bicycle–auto accidents has fallen by half. That's twice the number of bikes, half the accidents, so the rate of accidents is a quarter of what it was 16 years ago. There are three things going on behind that. 1) When biking becomes normalized as transportation, more bicyclists bike normal (less like jackasses), when they feel like they're part of traffic they bike like part of traffic. 2) More bikes mean that drivers are more used to being around bikes and are more likely to have biked themselves, so they drive better around bikes. 3) The infrastructure has gotten better, with marked lanes and separated bike paths.

To me driving somewhere is kind of like motoring there in a sailboat. Sure, you got there, but was it any fun? Whereas a nice bike ride not only gets you there, but the trip itself is sublime.
bigdogandy and seaner97 like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #113 of 135 Old 10-24-2016

My wife was an avid biker. Riding home from work (less than a mile), slowly going up a hill, on a straight stretch of road, in great light behind her, on her 'edge' of the road (no shoulder), the car behind her blew the bike right out from under her.

She went onto the hood of the car, and right side of her face smashed into the windshield. She broke her neck(!), nose and jagged glass took off quite a bit of her face(her facial tissue was on the shattered windshield that I ran by to find her in the road side ditch with paramedics).

The driver, doing 35-40 (30Limit), never saw her. He only noticed her (police report), when she smashed his windshield. The distraction was his lunch: Packaged he'd picked up locally, it was in his passenger seat. He was eating his lunch (with a plastic fork), while driving.

I've read some of these posts and I can't help but think, it's just not a level playing field out there for bikers. Cars come out ahead, way ahead.

She's lucky that she didn't have spinal injuries, head injuries. Two major plastic surgeries later, she'll never have a properly working eyelid. She was a casual helmet user and would skip it for this short ride about 50% of time.

She's back on a bike and ALWAYS wears a helmet. She'll never go on the road, with cars again. Only bike paths. She just can't get over that feeling of a car coming up behind.

Is the driver paying attention?
seaner97 and baywater like this.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.

post #114 of 135 Old 10-24-2016

Minnesail, if you don't like crazy traffic and clueless drivers, you dont want to go to Vancoucer. Forbes magazine rates it as second worst traffic in North America. Toronto is way down the list at number 6.

What is crazy about Toronto is the sailboat traffic. There are something like 20 big yacht clubs and marinas, just in the city of Toronto alone. It is a real yachting obsessed city.

Last edited by Arcb; 10-24-2016 at 06:15 PM.
post #115 of 135 Old 10-24-2016

A major cause of driver hostility is there own crappy driving ability. Drivers will hold up traffic following a bicycle when they have plenty of room to pass the bike. I almost always ride as far to the right as I can. Any driver with a modicum of control of their vehicle could safely pass me while still staying within their lane. Too many drivers simply refuse to pass a bike unless the oncoming lane is open and they can pull all the way over into that lane to pass me. I've waved cars to pass me while riding as far to the right as I can squeeze and they still won't pass. Many times have gotten tired of being tailgated, pulled into a vacant space out of the traffic lane and stopped to let the cars pass. Nothing against women drivers but it seems like it is standard with them not to pass.

Of course there are the spandex idiots who insist on riding abreast blocking traffic from passing them. Seattle seems to be the worst place for that rude behavior aided by a dumb mayor painting bike signs on what were previously open driving lanes. They've taken 4 lane roadways and painted bike lane symbols on the outermost lanes. Still would be plenty of room for a bike and car to coexist in those lanes if the idiot bikers didn't insist on riding abreast and clogging up the whole lane.

As far as stopping at road signals. It is way more safer for me not to come to a complete stop at a stop sign. In my clutzy way have fallen over at stop signs when my foot gets hung up in the clips. Also don't accelerate as fast as a car from a dead stop especially if I don't get my foot into the clips on the pedal so hold up traffic needlessly if I do stop. Traffic also moves more smoothly behind me if I cross via the cross walk at a red light rather than have to wait for met to get motivating after the light changes.

Compared to cars, bicyclist are a very small amount of the traffic on streets. Even with bike lanes and an advertising blitz to commute by bike, the bike lanes are almost always empty while the car lanes are chock a block.

I no longer ride on the highway, city streets and bike lanes are ok. Have lost a good friend and many people injured when hit by cars on the road. Not a pretty picture when you get hit by a car travelling 50mph.
post #116 of 135 Old 10-25-2016
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
A major cause of driver hostility is there own crappy driving ability. Drivers will hold up traffic following a bicycle when they have plenty of room to pass the bike. I almost always ride as far to the right as I can. Any driver with a modicum of control of their vehicle could safely pass me while still staying within their lane. Too many drivers simply refuse to pass a bike unless the oncoming lane is open and they can pull all the way over into that lane to pass me. I've waved cars to pass me while riding as far to the right as I can squeeze and they still won't pass. Many times have gotten tired of being tailgated, pulled into a vacant space out of the traffic lane and stopped to let the cars pass. Nothing against women drivers but it seems like it is standard with them not to pass.

The very first time I drove a car, when I was 16 with my dad - there was a guy walking along the shoulder in my lane and I didnt know what to do. There were cars coming the other way. As I got closer, my dad just said " move over for that guy" What about the cars coming the other way? " They will move over, son" And they did. It's called driving.

And, incredible as it seems - millions of people have never gotten that simple lesson. They have driven for 40 years never learning it and instead they hold up traffic and rail against other legal road users.
willyd and seaner97 like this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #117 of 135 Old 10-25-2016

After years of driving a motorcycle and the perspective it gives you (you can see in every car you drive by) I wouldn't ride a bicycle on the road on a bet! More than 50% of drivers are preoccupied with cel phones, calling, texting, checking emails, writing emails!

It is completely out of control, I just don't understand why one must be constantly on a phone no matter what else they are doing!

Sometimes GOD calms the storm, At other times HE calms the sailor and sometimes he makes us swim........ Anonymous

Last edited by DayDreamer41; 10-25-2016 at 10:36 AM.
post #118 of 135 Old 10-25-2016
美國佬

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
the cyclists pay none of this... They ride down the road three abreast holding up traffic when right next to them is a bile lane paid for by all the extra taxes car drivers pay. The vast (not all) majority (especially the spandex ones) leave their brains at home when they saddle up.
I don't think the reasoning that cyclists shouldn't use roads because they don't pay the taxes holds much water; how many cyclists don't own cars? I own something like four and I still ride a bike when I can. Plus, the gov't doesn't build very many roads for cyclists, and usually when they do, they take you in the least direct route possible, so cyclists "pay" by having to ride on roads designed for cars. That said, I feel the same as you about the guys dressed in clown suits that ride two and more abreast, especially where there is a perfectly good bike lane to follow.

keywords: sailing, COLREGS, gybe, hove to, right-of-way, sextant, Bowditch, barnacles
fallard, seaner97 and Minnesail like this.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #119 of 135 Old 10-25-2016
Less Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Not hardly!
If a car blows through a light a bit of metal and plastic gets trashed. If a bike does it someone usually DIES!
THAT'S why I get angry. If his mistake costs me all kinds of legal hassles and time, I have no recourse at all: he's dead. I may even go to jail, and I even didn't do anything wrong.
Nope, it is NOT perception, it is fact. Irresponsible bike riders are the ones who create the dislike for bike riders on the roads.
And as for equal rights, until the bikes get taxed for using the roads like the cars, I don't see equal rights anywhere in the picture. Bike riders are coasting for free on the roads vehicular traffic pays for.
If the car hits another car. Not if he hits a pedestrian, or a bike, or a motorcycle, etc. etc. etc.
Others mistakes cost all sorts of time, energy and money in the real world, and usually there is enough blame to go around. If you hit someone that just entered the road, even illegally, unless they came out from a bush or parked car that obstructed your view, you are partially at fault. If a kid chases a ball into the road, are you not going to brake? You squash him and you may or may not go to jail, too.
I'm all with you- irresponsible PEOPLE create the dislike for irresponsible PEOPLE. Their method of conveyance is irrelevant. My big annoyance is the idiots that bomb down a 25 mph road at 40. And pedestrians that walk in the road when there is a perfectly good sidewalk 5 feet away. And pedestrians that cross 10 feet shy of a perfectly good and well marked crosswalk. And Harleys because they're loud and noise pollution. And some of the idiot bike stuff you've described, but you're generalizing things that aren't actually bike related to bikers. And as someone else pointed out, the tax stuff is crap unless you're talking highways, and most highways funded by vehicular taxes bikes are prohibited from, anyway.
Minnesail and jwing like this.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
post #120 of 135 Old 10-25-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
And as someone else pointed out, the tax stuff is crap unless you're talking highways, and most highways funded by vehicular taxes bikes are prohibited from, anyway.
Well, in Fla there is no property tax so the road money comes from auto taxes.
In RI my daughter has a separate tax on her car just for local roads, so 'm guessing it depends on where you live.

I once had it explained to me that since motor cycles are visually diminutive, being loud is a safety factor, like it or not.

A bike doing 15 and running a red light to your right in a city, with buildings to the corner, gives you no chance to even hit the brakes. And if there are 4 (2 each way) lanes, with a truck to your right, he's either lucky or dead. There are no other options. I know, it's happened more than once to me. Hours and hours at the scene, months of courts and all that garbage and I was the innocent victim of another's stupidity. I never had a chance in hell of avoiding him!

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in