Clueless Sailors? - Page 14 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

148Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 144 Old 10-25-2016

Re: Clueless Sailors?

In Nanaimo in 2 days ,there have been 3 teenagers hit while running crosswalks on a red light in the dark,only one killed so two survive to become sailors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 144 Old 10-26-2016
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Very, very simply, under power it is much the same as in a car: give way to the vessel to your right, like you would at a 4 way stop sign. The overtaking vessel (the one passing) always has the burden, under sail or power.
Starboard tack (a boat is on the starboard tack when the boom is out to port or if no boom, the wind from the starboard side) is the privileged vessel much of the time.
There's a lot more to it, but as I said, very simply these are the basics. However, please remember that the other guy may be even more clueless than you, so just as in a car, drive defensively in your boat!
I'd suggest you pickup a copy of Royce's Sailing Illustrated, by far the best all around book on sailing, in a fun format. No heavy reading here.
Thanks for that Capta. I tell people " if on port, you must abort" At least for me this works well enough to remember. Also the vessel to windward is burdened, correct? And an overtaking vessel is burdened, I think. But I don't rely on any of them.

I've been able to yell a hello to other sailboats passing many times and I actually got into a shouting match with a power boat that nearly ran me down last week, but those are just anecdotes. I have noticed other sailboats out in the channel apparently unconcerned that a huge fast ship was bearing down on them.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #133 of 144 Old 10-26-2016

Sal Paradise,

The vessel to windward is burdened only if both vessels are on the same tack.
seaner97 and jwing like this.

post #134 of 144 Old 11-03-2016
Dirt Free

Sharon and I spent the day doing a walking tour of Charleston NC, a beautiful city. On three separate occasions we were almost taken out by cyclists running red lights while we were crossing on a green .... one swore at us for getting in his way. If they had license numbers we would have called the cops.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #135 of 144 Old 11-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Sharon and I spent the day doing a walking tour of Charleston NC, a beautiful city. On three separate occasions we were almost taken out by cyclists running red lights while we were crossing on a green .... one swore at us for getting in his way. If they had license numbers we would have called the cops.
Another reason cyclists need to be tagged.
post #136 of 144 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
3. If they are sailing to windward with a big genny, look for eyes. No eye contact, forget the rule book or honk early. They don't see you and aren't looking.
I'm restricted to internet sailing for a while (no boat yet), but the "honk early" quote caught my attention. Other than docking safely, my biggest concern will be making sure I will correctly perceive which vessel is stand on and which is give way. Having lived for decades close to the water in the Southern Maryland / Washington, D.C. area, I don't recall ever hearing the audible signals my safe boating course taught, except for commercial vessels. I've never heard them on the local lakes here in Georgia.

Whenever I get started, my plan if there's any doubt at all will be to signal my intention and get out of the way.
post #137 of 144 Old 1 Week Ago
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTerrapin View Post
I'm restricted to internet sailing for a while (no boat yet), but the "honk early" quote caught my attention. Other than docking safely, my biggest concern will be making sure I will correctly perceive which vessel is stand on and which is give way. Having lived for decades close to the water in the Southern Maryland / Washington, D.C. area, I don't recall ever hearing the audible signals my safe boating course taught, except for commercial vessels. I've never heard them on the local lakes here in Georgia.

Whenever I get started, my plan if there's any doubt at all will be to signal my intention and get out of the way.
It's always a good thing to be able to say .........
Yes, your honour I did make the required signals.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #138 of 144 Old 1 Week Ago

Dock

Yep, unless it's a commercial vessel in a harbour I've never heard a boat beeping a horn.

Maybe in some USA inland waterways but not outside.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #139 of 144 Old 1 Week Ago

This thread (plus hundreds of posts in other threads) has really boosted my confidence. Now I know.

In Atlanta, drivers will come to a complete stop on a busy through street and frantically waive out someone stopped at a stop sign. Then itís a game of chicken. Running red lights is common, drifting across lanes in turns, riding the gore for 100 yards to bypass stopped traffic, speed limits are optional (high and low), and definitely no turn signals. Seems like the waters are no different.

With the tips on this forum and my book learning, I figure Iíll at least be in the top 50% of safe and basically competent sailors the first time I hit the water!

Yíall are really helping me have a great time vicariously sharing your adventures and learning doís and donítís.

By the way, Iíll sound the signals even if just to set an example. Right before I crash into the dock. [emoji6]

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MarkofSeaLife and Minnesail like this.

Regards,
GT
post #140 of 144 Old 1 Week Ago

So youíre sailing down a channel on port tack. To leeward is another boat on port tack making the same vog so staying right off your starboard beam. As you are going along a dredger sets up putting his massive steel poles down and a barge comes in. The barge is to windward of the dredger. To Windward of that thereís no water. Although you are in the channel the dredger obstructs the port side and you are aimed to hit him. You call the vessel to starboard but no response. You give 5 blasts but no response.
What do you do?

P.S.- we avoided collusion. Will tell how later.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in