Clueless Sailors? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 135 Old 08-07-2016

Re: Clueless Sailors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Does one of those rules explain why so many bareboat skippers down here shake their fist and yell "Starboard" at me when they are so obviously motorsailing (the jib furled and the main luffing) while I am actually sailing, on a port tack?

Lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 135 Old 08-08-2016
al brazzi

My experience is that the most chance or collision in a racing scenario anyway is staging for the start, the start itself, then marks. anything else is way too avoidable and just a training exercise. I can make a container ship blow his horn anytime I want without even being in danger but of course he doesn't know that or he wouldnt be blowing his horn.
post #23 of 135 Old 08-08-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by albrazzi View Post
I can make a container ship blow his horn anytime I want without even being in danger but of course he doesn't know that or he wouldnt be blowing his horn.
Is this some new kind of game in your area? I can't believe you actually posted this statement. Please tell me I am completely misunderstanding what you posted, because it sounds an awful lot like train surfing or base jumping, to me.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #24 of 135 Old 08-08-2016
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Is this some new kind of game in your area? I can't believe you actually posted this statement. Please tell me I am completely misunderstanding what you posted, because it sounds an awful lot like train surfing or base jumping, to me.
No not at all. There's one area where the shipping lane turns where we exit a small boat channel when sailing out if you meet with the big guys there's a (potential) collision course. I think they see enough small Boats there to be pretty horn happy but by all means keep it safe out there.
post #25 of 135 Old 08-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
Yeah, when people stop observing those rules, everything breaks down. It's almost as bad when I'm on port, I adjust course to pass 50' off of the starboard boat's stern, then he starts making radical evasive maneuvers and I have no idea what he's doing. He's probably used to people not respecting his right of way, or maybe my zone of comfort is different from racing (where I might pass 5' off of someone's stern), but the stand-on vessels have to do their part too.
Yeah, I've had this happen. Remember one time I could see if everyone just held their course (including me) we'd pass no problem. As they cross my bow and I'm going to pass about 3 boat lengths behind them, some woman starts screaming and waving her arms as if to tell me to GET AWAY FROM US. Funny thing was I don't think anyone on board even noticed me until then.

And as I have pounded it into the Admiral's head: POWs have no rights.
Port
Overtaking
Windward.

I've taught her to analyze the situation in that order to figure out who has ROW (yes I *know* there's no such thing as ROW. For the benefit of the ROW POLICE!)

CS 36M DIANTHUS
post #26 of 135 Old 08-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by albrazzi View Post
My experience is that the most chance or collision in a racing scenario anyway is staging for the start, the start itself, then marks. anything else is way too avoidable and just a training exercise. I can make a container ship blow his horn anytime I want without even being in danger but of course he doesn't know that or he wouldnt be blowing his horn.

Where I do the beer can racing, we use the channel marks on our side of the river. Don't actually cross the channel but they might not know this. So, to ease the pilots mind, I'll hail them on 13 and tell them to not mind me, I WILL (tack/gybe) around the mark and stay out of their way.
Funny thing is I have a crew that thinks I like to talk on the radio. It's not that, I want the ship to realize I am completely aware of them and where they are going and I will not impede them in any way. Because A) they're working and B) it will make for a bad time if something happens, for both of us!

Don't want them to think I'm some stupid blowboater about to claim rights on them.
baywater likes this.

CS 36M DIANTHUS
post #27 of 135 Old 08-08-2016
Above 5 knots

Dock

I've read through this thread, and best I can tell is several of you skippers are part of the problem (I'm just hoping I'm not one of them).

This has forced me to go through an RE-read the rules myself...
Always a worthwhile read:
Navigation Rules - Amalgamated

It always bugs me when talking when sailboats meet, when people say "Right of Way," versus "Stand On." There is no "Right of Way."

By the way, not to be confused with these rules of racing (US): http://www.sailing.org/documents/racingrules/index.php
nolatom and jwing like this.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!

Last edited by SailingUphill; 08-08-2016 at 11:46 AM.
post #28 of 135 Old 08-08-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

I agree with that last sentence. I also agree that if you're the "stand-on" vessel, and you begin avoidance maneuvers too early, that you're often just confusing the give-way vessel.
If I'm the stand-on vessel, I hold my course until I'm certain that the other guy is not adhering to the rules.

And no, that doesn't always mean dodging out of the way at the last moment. There are plenty of ways to know if a skipper is oblivious or willfully ignorant, giving you plenty of time to maneuver.
SailingUphill and jwing like this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #29 of 135 Old 08-08-2016

I don't think this collision had anything to do with navigation rules, and everything to do with complete inattention by both boats. I know Lake Champlain well, having been on it all my life, and there's not enough boat traffic in most areas for anyone to really be concerned with navigation rules. I know where this incident occurred and I am sure that neither boat saw the other one until it was too late. I stay away from the few crowded bays and harbors, and maybe (maybe) once a season I have to adjust course because of another boat.

I am not sure I'd own a boat if I had to deal with some of the navigational nightmares discussed in this thread. That does not sound fun at all.
post #30 of 135 Old 08-08-2016
Dirt Free

I have on several occasions heard sailing instructors at my yacht club tell the kids. "don't worry about the power boats (in the narrow channel) you have right of way.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in