SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Clueless Sailors? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/261033-clueless-sailors.html)

sailingfool 08-06-2016 12:51 PM

Clueless Sailors?

This posting about an unfortunate injury
https://www.sailnet.com/forums/news-f...rgh-press.html gives me occasion to vent the lack of rule knowledge shown in crossing incidents that I experienced in our last two outings.

In both incidents we we sailing closehauled on starboard, and watched the approach of a port-tack sailboat broad-reaching towards us.

The first incident, the port tack boat held a steady course, about two boat lengths prior to a collision, we luffed head to wind to allow him to pass. I hailed him just to observe that he was a giveway vessel. He responded "no I'm not, I am sailing downwind." ?

The second incident, the port tack vessel made several minor course changes to his starboard which only served to keep him in front of us. Again, about two boat lengths prior to a collision, we luffed head to wind to allow him to pass.

In case is may be useful to anyone, what a sailing skipper needs to know is simple:
1. on overtaking boat is giveway.
2 different tacks, the port boat is giveway to starboard.
3. same tacks, the windward boat is giveway to leeward
4. the giveway vessel needs to make an early and obvious change in course or speed or both so as to remove the risk of collision.

eherlihy 08-06-2016 01:16 PM

Re: Clueless Sailors?

I'll add that in my experience while two guys in a 28' fiberglass runabout trolling a fishing line DO NOT QUALIFY as a vessel engaged in fishing, they probably don't know this, and will consider themselves to be the stand on vessel.

Glad you made it home safely!

chip 08-06-2016 01:57 PM

Yeah, when people stop observing those rules, everything breaks down. It's almost as bad when I'm on port, I adjust course to pass 50' off of the starboard boat's stern, then he starts making radical evasive maneuvers and I have no idea what he's doing. He's probably used to people not respecting his right of way, or maybe my zone of comfort is different from racing (where I might pass 5' off of someone's stern), but the stand-on vessels have to do their part too.

Ajax_MD 08-06-2016 10:22 PM

Yep, power boaters do not have a monopoly on "stupid."

capta 08-06-2016 10:40 PM

Does one of those rules explain why so many bareboat skippers down here shake their fist and yell "Starboard" at me when they are so obviously motorsailing (the jib furled and the main luffing) while I am actually sailing, on a port tack?

Rhapsody-NS27 08-06-2016 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingfool (Post 3606153)

In case is may be useful to anyone, what a sailing skipper needs to know is simple:
1. on overtaking boat is giveway.
2 different tacks, the port boat is giveway to starboard.
3. same tacks, the windward boat is giveway to leeward
4. the giveway vessel needs to make an early and obvious change in course or speed or both so as to remove the risk of collision.

Thanks.

Until I get more (ok, any) experience on the water, any useful tips is helpful.

I might just make a card to remind myself of these right-of-way rules.

aloof 08-06-2016 10:52 PM

It's hopeless. Give up. Don't even think about it. Quietly duck, go around, the idiots. Even if racing...unless the idiot improved his score with the cheating.

Turnin Turtle 08-06-2016 11:29 PM

Basic rules:

1: Don't hit the other boat.

2: If the other guy is ignoring Rule #1... Turn to avoid him.

I do a lot of rule #2.

Jammer Six 08-06-2016 11:51 PM

If you turn to port to avoid him, you're wrong.

pdqaltair 08-07-2016 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnin Turtle (Post 3606713)
Basic rules:

1: Don't hit the other boat.

2: If the other guy is ignoring Rule #1... Turn to avoid him.

I do a lot of rule #2.

3. If they are sailing to windward with a big genny, look for eyes. No eye contact, forget the rule book or honk early. They don't see you and aren't looking.