Anchor Retrieval Line - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeOReilly
  • 1 Post By Capt Len

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-23-2017 Thread Starter

Anchor Retrieval Line

I have seen many posts on anchoring but wonder if there are many suggestions for rigging a retrieval line in anticipation of the anchor anchor/rode getting fouled in a rocky or otherwise challenging bottom.

Years back I would use a separate line from the back of the anchor to a floating buoy, but had to ward off others so as not to have my anchor pulled up. Such a system also seems to take up a lot of otherwise useful anchorage area.

I now have an all chain rode, and use a retrieval line longer than the depth of the water, one end fastened to the back of the anchor, the other end clipped part way up the anchor rode. Letting out sufficient rode results in the retrieval line laying on the sea bed.

Are there better or other processed utilized by cruising skippers?

Resolve78
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-23-2017

Re: Anchor Retrieval Line

Agree that while buoying the anchor helps others to know where your hook is, it also reduces swinging space for others. And, unless you match the depth, or use shock cord, the float probably isn't really above the hook anyhow.

Your system sounds like a reasonable compromise if fouling your anchor is a regular occurrence. Btw.. curious about how often that retrieval line was truly needed?

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 7 Old 05-23-2017
Old soul

When I've rigged a trip line I run it from the back of the anchor, up to a floating buoy. On the buoy I hang a block. The trip line runs through the block, with a weight on the other side. This keeps the buoy always above the anchor, and doesn't allow it to wonder or sink.

I dislike the use of anchor buoys in general b/c it hogs anchor space and creates the risk of someone accidentally pulling up your anchor. I only use this system in the rare occasions when I have serious concern there is a significant risk of anchor fouling.

I've heard of some folks running a trip line along the rode back to the boat. I've never tried this method. I fear it could lead to rode entanglement, but I might give it a try.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-23-2017

Years of anchoring over old logging cables and stuff. For anchors like CQR's where all the business is at one end of a shaft. Pull fouled hook taut. Drop a short loop (shackled)of chain on a retrival line. Chain loop falls over the shank. Slack anchor line loose and take up slack on retriever which should pull on the upset hooky end of shank .Sometimes getting to windward of fouled anchor before hauling on the retriever can help if weather permits.
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-23-2017
Learning the HARD way...

I did this for several years until the float died, and the retrieval line chafed through.

You can read more about it here; https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...oday-35-a.html

This year I need a new float and retrieval line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
MikeOReilly (05-23-2017)
post #6 of 7 Old 05-23-2017

Where do you attach the tripping line to the anchor? (Yes, I'm smarter than this. I've tested different locations.)

I have use the "tripping eye" location on certain anchors and it still hauls the cable or log up with it. Other anchors come with smarter locations. Some, you better add your own, cus' what is supplied just don't work.

-----

There is only one place where I have learned to use a tripping line. It is at the mouth of a wetland area where I like to kayak, and the tide brings logs and tree limbs by. There is a lot of tide and a lot of junk in the water in the spring, and I foul ~ 1 per 3-4 visits in that season. No big deal. But that is the only place. It is desolate then, so the float and space are non-issues. Anywhere else, or even there in summer, never.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #7 of 7 Old 05-24-2017
snake charmer, cat herder

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i have watched as many with trip lines become unanchored by passers by with no knowledge or concern for others. i donot use a trip line. i use brute force and muscles. works for an old woman who refers to remain securely hooked.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in