Would you... - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 06-13-2017 Thread Starter

Would you...

scream at another boat/sailor who was acting irresponsibly... read danger to others... ignoring the rules of the road? or just get out of their way?

I always do the later... but at times tell them they are asshats... thinking if no one tells them... they will definitely not think twice nor change their behavior. Why would they?

It makes no sense to report them to... who???? But heck they could have hit us if we didn't avoid them... and they weren't the only ones who did dumb...

How do you.. or do you bother with these idiots?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-13-2017

Re: Would you...

I do a lot of my sailing during the week, thus avoiding a lot of folks. I learned a long time ago that me, "advising" anyone to do anything was like herding cats and I chose to NOT do it. Jump ahead to the world of today, and I try to NOT engage with anyone...just not worth it in so many ways. Then add back in the possible "impairment" available, legally to the other "operator" and I just don't see anything good coming of this.

Reporting them does no good, the regs are written so as to be un-enforceable, and my time is better spent moving along, recovering from their stupidity and staying safe.
RichH, SanderO and Barquito like this.
post #3 of 19 Old 06-13-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

It's pointless.
You'll never convince one of these people that they've done anything wrong. Just get away from them as fast as possible and continue going about your day.
RichH and oldlaxer1 like this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

post #4 of 19 Old 06-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
scream at another boat/sailor who was acting irresponsibly... read danger to others... ignoring the rules of the road? or just get out of their way?

I always do the later... but at times tell them they are asshats... thinking if no one tells them... they will definitely not think twice nor change their behavior. Why would they?

It makes no sense to report them to... who???? But heck they could have hit us if we didn't avoid them... and they weren't the only ones who did dumb...

How do you.. or do you bother with these idiots?
Had one this Sunday...he clearly had no idea I was stand on and he was give way...he waved like we were long lost friends...I just took his stern and then returned to my original course and kept going. I may have muttered something but not loud enough to wake up the Admiral.
BarryL likes this.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #5 of 19 Old 06-13-2017
Master Mariner

It does no good to inform the jerks that they are being irresponsible jerks; I know from experience. It just makes me feel ineffective and foolish after the fact.
Mostly now it's situations where the jerks are trying to anchor way too close or pick up a mooring that is too close and they may hit me. No amount of reasoning seems to help, but an offhand request for the name of their insurance carrier as they head up into the wind to drop their anchor or pick up the mooring, often does produce the desired effect.
If they just absolutely insist on being where the two boats may collide, I will drop by in the dink and calmly inform them, as the law requires, that I am informing them that in my opinion, as master of my vessel, they have endangered both vessels with their action. Then I leave, and most often so do they, in time.
Of course, another helpful item is our 4" S/S capped rub rail that pretty much runs the length of the boat. It seems to get more menacing each time the two boats swing close together and in a while they be gone.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 19 Old 06-13-2017

For those nearly close anchoring occasions ,an obligatory 12 ft pike pole wielded by a wild haired 6'7" skipper offering to fend off so don't worry proved pretty effective over the years.
Minnesail likes this.
post #7 of 19 Old 06-13-2017

Which is why the rules of the old west were effective at reducing the number of fools who believed they were mainstream. An armed society is a polite society.
Azzarac likes this.
post #8 of 19 Old 06-14-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
Had one this Sunday...he clearly had no idea I was stand on and he was give way...he waved like we were long lost friends...I just took his stern and then returned to my original course and kept going. I may have muttered something but not loud enough to wake up the Admiral.
This past Friday I came across a group of young male adults (mid 20s) drifting with a fishing line extending from the back of their small boat in the middle of the entrance to the creek where my marina is located.

I'm glad I had enough water under the boat to get around them safely. No good saying anything as at that age they already know everything....

1973 Pearson 39 "Brandy"
post #9 of 19 Old 06-14-2017

It's not unlike finding a car in the left lane of a highway (in the US) that is driving below the speed limit, when that lane is specified for passing. They simply have no idea what the rules are.

Nevertheless, avoiding collisions is every Captain's responsibility, which is clearly the final rule. We're required to go around the morons.
RichH, ebourg and StarwindMango like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-14-2017

Many years ago, sailing in my neighborhood on starboard tack. Another boat on port with a big overlapping jib that no one is looking under headed on collision course. On board is a crew which included a very polite well spoken women who also is a great sailor who never had a harsh word for anyone. The picture of refinement.

Even though I'm on starboard, I decide it's prudent to duck the approaching boat. Our very polite, refined crew stands up on the cockpit seats and shouts out to the offending boat "starboard you b****" and then she noticed the port on the transom, and says "New York it figures!"

I don't think I've laughed harder than this ever.

No offense to you polite NY-ers. Understand that in NE, there are certain preconceived notions, probably goes back to the yankees - red sox but that's another story.

Yep, sailing confrontations evidently bring out the animal spirits even in the most passive individuals .

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in