Rigging whistles at what wind velocity? - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 10-13-2017 Thread Starter
not so Junior Member....

Rigging whistles at what wind velocity?

Hello all
My boat does not have an anemometer nor do I have a handheld.
I am constantly amazed at the disparities between most wind readings noted at NWS Nooa or the "local" weather reports to the degree that I can reasonably add 10mph to nearly anything they say and be closer to conditions I actually experience on the boat.
Nowadays Ill check the local stations on Windfinder or Wyndys and these generally are much closer or spot on.

Today I ended up double reefed, with my jib adjusted for different tacks. The rigging was whistling like crazy and I had a great time snug and well mannered and topping out the hull speed on most tacks. So my question is at roughly what wind velocity do you notice your rigging starting to whistle or "whine"
Im thinking it was 26-30 mph....Despite the fact I sail on the south shore of Long Island, NY where good winds are common this time of year, I seldom experience the whine so wanted to hear from others with real equipment....Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-14-2017

Re: Rigging whistles at what wind velocity?

This will vary considerably, depending on the rig tension, configuration, shroud and stay makeup etc. so will be different from boat to boat.

Our Dyneema backstay (when new and still having the original surface texture) throbbed like crazy in 18-20 apparent, after a few years of wear doesn't seem to do so anymore.

I remember spending 20 minutes on a chartered boat trying to find the pump or motor that was 'still running' after we tied up and shut down only to find it was the rig vibrating in the 20 knots of wind we had at the time.
capta, baywater and CVAT like this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
baywater (10-16-2017)
post #3 of 20 Old 10-14-2017 Thread Starter
not so Junior Member....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
This will vary considerably, depending on the rig tension, configuration, shroud and stay makeup etc. so will be different from boat to boat.

Our Dyneema backstay (when new and still having the original surface texture) throbbed like crazy in 18-20 apparent, after a few years of wear doesn't seem to do so anymore.

I remember spending 20 minutes on a chartered boat trying to find the pump or motor that was 'still running' after we tied up and shut down only to find it was the rig vibrating in the 20 knots of wind we had at the time.
Hi faster.
That's interesting to hear about the "motor" I recall something from long ago on a 37'Post sportfisherman my dad had where the aerial would develop a hum but I dont recall the wind speed

post #4 of 20 Old 10-16-2017

Whitecaps start at 12 and rigging whistles at 18.
post #5 of 20 Old 10-16-2017

Each piece of rigging will have its own harmonic, based on weight, length, tension and diameter, and angle to the wind (maybe more things). There is no one whistle speed. The best you can do is try to note when a line starts making noise and have an accurate reference or actual wind speed to calibrate against. Or just say its around 20ish.
The Following User Says Thank You to CrispyCringle For This Useful Post:
baywater (10-16-2017)
post #6 of 20 Old 02-23-2018

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/pqr/info/pdf/wind.pdf

The above gives visual clues for estimating wind speed, sort of a NOAA Beufort scale.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-23-2018

We have a Davis hand held 'Wind Wizard'. It isn't particularly convenient to use but it didn't cost much and it is accurate. I only drag it out once in a while when I'm really curious about the wind speed.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-23-2018

You can also get smart phone based wind apps that work pretty well. The free ones based on wind noise arn't much, but others, like Vaavud, can be good. But I've been sailing long enough I just feel it and look around. But an app like this can help you get calibrated.
baywater likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #9 of 20 Old 02-24-2018

Determining wind speed from the deck can be easily accomplished by suspending a one meter length of 3/8 ss chain from your left hand. Observing the deflection gives not only direction relative to your bow (assume limited vis due to sea spray or rain if you are in BC) but calculated wind speed from the angle of deflection.Calibrating takes some practice but is the mark of an experienced sailor. No batteries required.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #10 of 20 Old 02-24-2018

Dock

Whistling starts at *exactly* Force 6.5 when at 120 degrees and stops in *exactly* 6,500 nautical miles when you reach Australia from Galapagos.

I kid you not.

It drove me up the fricken walls.

The south Pacific tropical Trade Route is meant to be Force 4 12 to 16 knots but it was never less that top of 5 or mostly 6 up near 7 and often 7. Or it was in the year I did it.

6 = 22 to 27
7= 28 to 34

After a week or two of constant noise - not a whistle but a quiet roar - I wondered if it would ever stop. Drove me nutzo.

Great sailing. But..... nutzo.

If you ever wonder why I am like I am now you know.

NUTZO!

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in