Catamaran Knocked Down Near St George Island - Page 4 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 33 Old 04-15-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Catamaran Knocked Down Near St George Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Jeez - that is a nasty one ss. When you see a "bow echo" like that, it's going to be especially nasty. That was what was seen on radar for the Dauphin Island Race disaster as well....

I'd never seen that before and thought it was weird - especially this far out. That should have been my first clue. Of course, for us, there was nowhere to duck in. So we just had to take it on the chin.

As I said, I had already dropped all sail and started the motor in preparation for it - and when it hit I just turned and ran with it under bare poles. It was pretty easy. Then when it started easing a bit I just slowly circled the ship about 1/2 mile away in case it was going to get worse. It didn't - just like most of these storms, it blew past after an hour or two.

We then started back toward St. Pete right after. No problems at all.

This one was again predicted days out and is another major front that's been impacting the South and now South East. Lots of tornado's, lightning and squalls. Wind gusts over land are up to 40 mph with sustained at 16 SW so expect much worse out in the Gulf. The Atlantic Coast should be getting interesting now and I would not want to be out around Cape Hatteras or the Frying Pan today.

The normal afternoon Tropical Squalls will arrive shortly too as Summer Approaches. Locals know that approaching sunset they can be a daily occurrence but rarely last longer than 15 minutes. They develop over the Gulf, Bay and/or the Wetlands around Sarasota but are still fairly predictable depending on the air/water temps and humidity.

Today's storm brought gusty winds that started yesterday and the rain has been going on since about 1 PM. We are just about 60% through the rain squalls. Next few days will be in the mid 60's instead of the mid 80's as they were last week.

It has been great fun for a few weeks since we had a British Racing Team as guests holding their Spring Regatta at the Sailing Center and the kids were all pumped by the early Spring winds of our prime sailing season. You could hear them chatting about how unbelievable it was that they were in Florida where it was nice and warm and they've got "WIND!" Nice to see them getting high 70's and low 80's with the sailing forecasts the weeks they were here a pretty solid 9 out of 10 almost every day. Hope they liked it well enough to keep coming back.

Last edited by SeaStar58; 04-15-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 04-16-2018

Good that they made it. I've pitched poled Hobie's flying a hull-fun, but dangerous.

The old saying "better safe than sorry" always holds true. Sometimes experience brings complacency.
post #33 of 33 Old 04-16-2018
smj

There have been quite a few Geminiís that have capsized, I believe I lost count at 12. With a 14í beam they are a tender catamaran and it seems many choose the Gemini as their first sailboat, maybe part of the capsize record? We owned a Gemini 3200 and were sailing down the Indian River in 25-32 apparent at about 60 degrees of the bow with full main and 90% jib. When the wind got above 30 the windward hull got light and I dumped the main. We were under control but it was definitely the most tender cat we have owned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RegisteredUser and Arcb like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in