OpenCPN - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 Old 08-24-2018

Re: OpenCPN

Cool, I have a Spirit 23, yours is sometimes called a Spirit 21, but you should like it. Did you do the paint?

In any case, OpenCPN takes a pretty strong PC IMO, it is really unresponsive and the raster charts do not look good. For me I got a cheap windows 10 tablet and I run PolarView on it, which works great with a USB gps, but no ActiveCaptain support.

AquaMap seems like the one of the best options for IOS ActiveCaptain support.

Edit: For inland (lakes) navigation I use Navionics Marine app on my iPhone which works well.

@lho crowdsourced boat info, https://activecaptain.garmin.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 Old 08-28-2018 Thread Starter

How do you like your Spirit 23?

I did do the paint, with the help of my girlfriend. Interesting choices of colors, right?

OpenCPN ended up working on my Galaxy Tab A, but I think you're right. It is a bit on the unresponsive side. It might be enough for my purposes though as I only plan on using it on the Great Lakes.

I looked up this ActiveCaptain. Very interesting! I'll have to try it on my tablet.
post #13 of 44 Old 08-28-2018

Run navionics on an iPad Pro in a life proof case as a backup. Good screen.readable charts. Survivable in the cockpit. Have north and South America in it and get updates down loaded when I remember (monthly) which seem accurate. Costs $27.50/ year.
Have cpn in the toughbook at the nav station as another backup. PIA. Updating slow and uses too much data so more expensive over a year than Navionics. Iím stuck with the toughbook as my SSB modem is hooked up with it but if you donít need that functionality would be a big spender and do navionics.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #14 of 44 Old 08-28-2018
Rainwatcher

Oh, god, no. Anything but Navionics (or Navimatics).

More than twenty years ago, a lighthouse was removed here on Puget Sound. About fifteen years ago, I complained to Navionics that it was still on my charts. So they removed the magenta exclamation mark, and left the line of text with the light characteristics.

After that, I'm not interested in any company that takes NOAA charts and edits them. I'm only interested in real charts.
MastUndSchotbruch and CVAT like this.

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.

Proud to live in a sanctuary city.
post #15 of 44 Old 08-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
...Have cpn in the toughbook at the nav station as another backup. PIA. Updating slow and uses too much data so more expensive over a year than Navionics. I’m stuck with the toughbook as my SSB modem is hooked up with it but if you don’t need that functionality would be a big spender and do navionics.
I'm curious what, exactly, causes OpenCPN to use so much data for you? I run it free-standing with no internet connection (except for Google Drive, where I sync up waypoints and routes that I mark when at home), so zero mobile data consumption. My charts are kept locally on an SD card, which I update on shore using the convenient ChartDownloader plugin. But I don't update everything every time. I just keep up to date on my local charts, and everything else gets an annual update (by my choice). So even on shore I don't use that much data.
MastUndSchotbruch and CVAT like this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 08-28-2018 at 09:06 PM.
post #16 of 44 Old 08-28-2018

@Jammer -six One of the reasons I love PolarView, downloads NOAA charts and will auto update them as new versions are released. Pretty reasonable at $16 a year or so (other options but to be that seems reasonable).
post #17 of 44 Old 08-28-2018
Rainwatcher

My two favorites are SeaIQ (I like it for the quilting) and my old warhorse iNavX. On iNavX, you have to load each chart, but it's not that tough, and it happily takes Canadian raster charts, which is something that SeaIQ doesn't do.

Both are less that fifty bucks, and while Canadian charts cost money, the NOAA charts are free.

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.

Proud to live in a sanctuary city.
post #18 of 44 Old 08-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschmidty View Post
@Jammer -six One of the reasons I love PolarView, downloads NOAA charts and will auto update them as new versions are released. Pretty reasonable at $16 a year or so (other options but to be that seems reasonable).
Ditto for OpenCPN, except totally free. I've used both, and their interfaces are different, but whichever you prefer.

I share the skepticism over any electronic charts that "translate" NOAA's stuff into a proprietary format. It seems like it's just begging for errors to be made. Much better to use a program/app that takes native NOAA charts and displays them unchanged. Even better if the same program can display both RNC and ENC formats, since each has its plusses and minuses.
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
The Following User Says Thank You to TakeFive For This Useful Post:
elliowb (08-29-2018)
post #19 of 44 Old 08-29-2018

The simplest solution is one of the inexpensive nav apps available for a smartphone or tablet. OpenCpn has a following and is free, but it's not plug and play. You need to deal with a few things. The more technically oriented find that a no-brainer. Others, not so much.

I've personally used: Charts and Tides, Garmin Blue and Navionics. I never had to read a single instruction for any of them to get them up and running or to quickly figure out how to use them.

For what it's worth, C&T was the cheapest and I've liked it the best. It had Active Captain interfaced offline, which was an outstanding resource, while cruising. Lost it when Garmin took over and updated the interface. Never like the Garmin Bluewhatever app, it looked like a cartoon. I used Navionics for the first time this season. It's fucntional. The auto route feature is nice for coastal hop planning, but can't be taken literally.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #20 of 44 Old 08-29-2018

I use Open CPN as my primary nav tool on a LenovoT440 laptop and have used it for a 300 plus NM crossing of the Gulf as well as a guide to Tampa Bay of which I had zero local knowledge of. It's a great tool for the price (free). I use the marine navigator app on my phone as a backup but it seems to be quite battery hungry so I have to limit the usage. I was recently sailing single handed in my local bay of which I am quite familiar and trying to thread my way through an unmarked channel using only the depth sounder and a paper chart (I had left my phone on the charger in the truck). There was a storm was brewing and I was trying to get to a protected anchorage before the storm hit. Turned out to be a white knuckle event for me. Over canvassed, tacking and trying to look at depth sounder and hold on to the paper chart was nerve racking to say the least. The $10.00 phone app on the phone would have reduced a lot of stress.
lho likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in