Best Anchor for Weeds - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 09-18-2018 Thread Starter

Best Anchor for Weeds

First, staying out of the weeds is best. In many areas there are habitat preservation issues.

But sometimes they are impossible to avoid. Patches can make the anchoring experiencing a little unpredictable.

That said, I'm of the opinion that reasonably sized anchors don't drag unless there is something seriously wrong with either the rigging or the bottom. If it is soft you need a lot of fluke area. If it is hard pan weight helps, but don't expect too much. Weed, on the other hand, depends on a lot of things, including angles, sharpness, clog-resistance, and weight. Good setting technique, with minimum drag-in distance helps (less clogging).

It's also not just about getting an initial set. Can the anchor fully bury (rather unlikely, since the chain and shank are above the weeds)? What about resetting?

What have you found most effective? I have my preferences, but I don't want to go first. Not Fortress, and I hate to say it, not Rocna.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-18-2018

Re: Best Anchor for Weeds

I've had luck with my CQR in the weeds of Cuttyhunk. It's heavy, so I think that helps get it through the grass. No guarantees.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 21 Old 09-18-2018

Don't know what the best anchor is, but I regularly anchor in weeds.

My home river is knick named the Weedeau Canal (Rideau Canal), generally thick weeds often reaching right to the surface most places outside of the marked channel, so not much choice.

My Bruce with 6 ft of chain holds my 900 lb boat really well in weeds. Typically anchor in 5 ft or less water. It doesn't always set quickly, but the nice thing is, if it isn't set, you know it isn't set. Try again.
Attached Thumbnails
weeds.png  

post #4 of 21 Old 09-18-2018

Although an ancient anchor admiralty is the best for weeds.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-18-2018 Thread Starter

I'm actually asking if you have tried multiple anchors and compared results. For example, my Fortress and Rocna comments were based on multiple personal experiences.

The "admiralty is best" saw is often repeated, I don't know that there is any science behind it nor have I read any reports this decade. I suspect it may no longer be true at all. I'm also pretty sure it is academic, since it is bad at everything else. The risk of tide-swing fouling is just too great.

post #6 of 21 Old 09-18-2018

Very happy with our Mantus in weedy areas. Not so happy with our Fortress, in those conditions. The Mantus just seems to dig under the weeds while the Fortress generally got clogged by them.
oysterman23 likes this.
post #7 of 21 Old 09-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Don't know what the best anchor is, but I regularly anchor in weeds.

My home river is knick named the Weedeau Canal (Rideau Canal), generally thick weeds often reaching right to the surface most places outside of the marked channel, so not much choice.

My Bruce with 6 ft of chain holds my 900 lb boat really well in weeds. Typically anchor in 5 ft or less water. It doesn't always set quickly, but the nice thing is, if it isn't set, you know it isn't set. Try again.

I have had the same results with my bruce. I have been happy with it.
All the peer pressure seems to be on going with a new gen anchor hard to resist!!!

Bob
Arcb likes this.
post #8 of 21 Old 09-18-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I think I know how this thread is going to go. We are about to learn you need a $500 new gen anchor with 300 ft of chain to nchor a small boat in the weeds.
Actually, one of my favorites is a Northill I got on E-Bay for $20. I use 10 feet of chain, since it is a secondary. Beats NG on weeds and rock. Though they look a little like a fisherman's anchor, the fluke geometry, and hence holding in sand an mud, is more akin to a NG. They copied....

Gotcha (except you are probably right about the direction...)!
Arcb likes this.

post #9 of 21 Old 09-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Actually, one of my favorites is a Northill I got on E-Bay for $20. I use 10 feet of chain, since it is a secondary. Beats NG on weeds and rock. Though they look a little like a fisherman's anchor, the fluke geometry, and hence holding in sand an mud, is more akin to a NG. They copied....

Gotcha (except you are probably right about the direction...)!
I deleted my comment, but not quick enough

I find it interesting you with short chain too, thought I was the only one. Guess your boat is super weight sensitive like mine.
post #10 of 21 Old 09-18-2018

Most of the trials are carried by the anchor manufacturers. In Turkey nearly all Gulettes use admiralty because they generally anchor on weed ground. I know a lot of cases where admiralty was holding while modern anchors were dragging in the same weed area.
pdqaltair and Arcb like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in