Possible GPS replacement.. - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 11-11-2018 Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-11-2018

Re: Possible GPS replacement..

Sounds interesting. Ive been a little concerned how dependant we have become on GPS. And like the article mentions, it is extremely easy to jam or disable during any sort of conflict or by some ill willed group.

Is there anything that cant be solved with lasers?
post #3 of 15 Old 11-11-2018
bell ringer

looks just the right size to replace a boat's compass, .................................................. .................................................. .............................. on an aircraft carrier

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old 11-11-2018
Master Mariner

And just who is going to maintain and calibrate that incredibly simple looking device?
I've been using satellite-based navigation since the very early 80's and it has yet to be turned off because of a conflict or terrorist threat, hacking or any other problem.
Perhaps Y'all who worry about a GPS failure could put that on your list of catastrophic occurrences somewhere between a meteorite sinking your boat or being in California when THE earthquake hits! lol
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 15 Old 11-12-2018
Old as Dirt!

Inertial navigation systems have been around for a very long time, in fact since WWII. It would seem to me that the latest iteration is rather more mental masturbation than not.

The simple, wise, back-ups for a GPS failure--either system wide or shipboard--are ones charts, compass, and, of course, s sextant and decent time piece. S'not complicated.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #6 of 15 Old 11-12-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post

The simple, wise, back-ups for a GPS failure--either system wide or shipboard--are ones charts, compass, and, of course, s sextant and decent time piece. S'not complicated.
A sextant is hardly a reasonable back up for electronic navigation unless on is hundreds of miles offshore, or is using a sextant on pretty much a daily basis. One does not pick up a sextant and snap a shot, reduce it and do that another two times in 10 hours accurately, without a considerable amount of practice.
In the days when that was my only form of offshore navigation, a couple of months off, cruising around an island group or the Queensland coast for instance, and it would take me several days to get the knack back, and I was pretty proficient at it. It is not at all like riding a bicycle. lol
IMO, dead reckoning is a much more useful skill, especially for coastal or interisland sailing, should electronic navigation cease to function.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 15 Old 11-12-2018

Miniaturizing an inertial guidance system would be great. That thing is not practical yet.

For those that think cyber crime and terrorism, which is on an exponential rise, is going to pass on the GPS system, I think you're out of touch. Can you imagine the power a nation would have, if they could shut it down. Particularly, if they could still use it. Or hold it ransom? Every significant nation on the earth, currently has significant cyber task forces, the US included. The criminals are now in it for the money, not just messing things up. Some of the criminals are in bed with sovereign nations, as revenue sources.

Past performance of machinery is no guarantee of future results. There are some dramatic examples of this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
CrispyCringle (11-12-2018)
post #8 of 15 Old 11-12-2018 Thread Starter

...and the Russians have been proving their capability of blocking/interfering with the encrypted version GPS signals in the latest NATO and Baltic exercises this past month..

Last edited by aa3jy; 11-12-2018 at 11:20 AM.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-12-2018

Russia blocks GPS in Northern Finland
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46178940
post #10 of 15 Old 11-12-2018
bell ringer

when GPS is getting blocked I would be much more considered than just that I don't know my position to within 8'

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in