Generic Polars - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 04-01-2019 Thread Starter

Generic Polars

I have an Allmand 35 and it appears Polars were never published. Is there such a thing as a generic polar to at least use as a guideline?

Thanks
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-01-2019
Master Mariner

Re: Generic Polars

OK, I'll bite; what the heck is a Polars, generic or otherwise?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 04-01-2019 at 06:17 PM.
post #3 of 26 Old 04-01-2019

Not really. Actually, published polars for most boats will never be reached because they are calculated using very optimistic data.

However, it is easy to make your own polars if you can get boat data into a computer. OpenCPN has a polar plugin where you simply sail the boat and it collects polar data and makes it into a plot. There are phone/tablet apps that do the same.

Or just go sailing and take some general notes about wind, speed, angle, etc - then make some tuning/rigging/trim changes and see how that effects things in general.

One usually only is interested in polars for upwind work to determine optimum VMG, and most people find they understand this intuitively after sailing their boat for a while.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 Old 04-01-2019

Polars are a set of plots or tables of boat speed vs. wind angle for specific wind speeds.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

post #5 of 26 Old 04-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Polars are a set of plots or tables of boat speed vs. wind angle for specific wind speeds.

Mark
target optimal boat speeds for each wind angle drawn on a polar plot... bow being 0°, beam being 90° stern being 180° drawn for a range of wind speeds.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #6 of 26 Old 04-02-2019

There are Velocity Prediction Programs which will create polars - No idea how accurate they are.
I saved these links some time ago intending to play with VPPs to help decide on replacement sails but never got around to it.
You can download a trial VPP from Techsail ? Sailing Yacht Performance Analysis
I found this thread interesting at the time - old, so the links may not work
PCSail - Excel sheet to make VPP for Sailing yachts - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
As I said, I was looking at this some time ago, so you might Google, " Velocity Prediction Program" and see what you can discover.

"The great thing about the internet is that you can quote anyone and no one will bother to check the source" - Aristotle
post #7 of 26 Old 04-02-2019

Unless you sail in flat water, with a perfectly clean bottom, brand new sails and have perfect trim, they are totally useless. If you have all these things, they are modestly useless. Besides, getting to know how a new boat sails in various conditions is part of the mating process. Embrace it, don't overthink it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 26 Old 04-02-2019
Lake Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Unless you sail in flat water, with a perfectly clean bottom, brand new sails and have perfect trim, they are totally useless. If you have all these things, they are modestly useless. Besides, getting to know how a new boat sails in various conditions is part of the mating process. Embrace it, don't overthink it.
They are not "totally useless", seriously. You can use them as a guide when you are sailing if you see fit to do so. We use them in racing all the time. Just because you have no use for them, doesn't mean others do not.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

post #9 of 26 Old 04-02-2019
dadio917

interesting thread for me at the moment. My wife and I are getting ready for a couple 2000+ mile passages and have been updating com gear over our old SSB/pactor and intreach. Have added an iridium Go and a subscription to predictweather.com. Besides weather forecasts they run weather routes which will help us a) stay in wind and b) maybe avoid too much wind and swell, and c) avoid something worse. The idea is to run the route each day. The routing runs on their servers so the data required to transmit is small.

The routing SW uses boat polars to figure how best to point and how far the boat can get in a given time and condition. Hard to say given all the inaccuracies of weather forecasting how much decent polars add. OR how polars determined for one boat would map to another of the same make but probably set up differently. but still I've been wondering.

Predictweather lets you choose from their data base of polars, a detailed set of data one could measure, or just put in a few rough guesses at how the boat will do at a few angels to the wind in 15knts. They don't have polars for a Valiant 39 but do for a 40. What I've been playing with is derating the V40 by 10% to make up for the hull size. Their SW allows for that. I guess after a week or so at sea we'll get calibrated.

Anyways...that's why I've just discovered a use for boat polars and would love to find some data base that has a Valiant 39.

Dadio917
Valiant 39
post #10 of 26 Old 04-02-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Not really. Actually, published polars for most boats will never be reached because they are calculated using very optimistic data.

However, it is easy to make your own polars if you can get boat data into a computer. OpenCPN has a polar plugin where you simply sail the boat and it collects polar data and makes it into a plot. There are phone/tablet apps that do the same.

Or just go sailing and take some general notes about wind, speed, angle, etc - then make some tuning/rigging/trim changes and see how that effects things in general.

One usually only is interested in polars for upwind work to determine optimum VMG, and most people find they understand this intuitively after sailing their boat for a while.

Mark
Thought of that but the one thing I don't have is wind instrumentation.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in