Recommended Charts for La Paz / Gulf of CA - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kennedyy
  • 1 Post By Kennedyy
  • 1 Post By colemj

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-09-2019 Thread Starter

Recommended Charts for La Paz / Gulf of CA

Hey all,

Who makes the best charts for the La Paz area? Preferably large scale or small with large insets (but I’ll take what I can get).

I’ll be exploring the islands for a week or 2 in mid May.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-12-2019

Re: Recommended Charts for La Paz / Gulf of CA

Not charts but this was highly recommended when we were down there. Lots of local nav info.

Sea of Cortez: A Cruiser's Guidebook https://www.amazon.com/dp/0980090113..._bmbSCbMM18AR8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #3 of 8 Old 04-12-2019

I looked at a charter for this month but other plans came up. There are some options with Garmin or some other electronic means for maps with a guide book and paper harts for backup.

I was under the impression wind is light in May. I would still like to hear about your trip in May.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-12-2019 Thread Starter

[QUOTE=br3nt;2051595448]Not charts but this was highly recommended when we were down there. Lots of local nav info.

Sea of Cortez: A Cruiser's Guidebook https://www.amazon.com/dp/0980090113..._bmbSCbMM18AR8

Got that one last week it’s fantastic! Thanks for the recommend.
br3nt likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-12-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
I looked at a charter for this month but other plans came up. There are some options with Garmin or some other electronic means for maps with a guide book and paper harts for backup.

I was under the impression wind is light in May. I would still like to hear about your trip in May.
Average should be 6-7kts so I imagine we’ll get some 12kts hours and some no kts hours. The coromuel winds will hopefully be blowing late afternoons so I’m planning most routes (hence the chart search) for then.
jephotog likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-12-2019

[quote=Kennedyy;2051595456]
Quote:
Originally Posted by br3nt View Post
Not charts but this was highly recommended when we were down there. Lots of local nav info.

Got that one last week itís fantastic! Thanks for the recommend.
That's the one to get. They also have electronic versions of their charts if you want them for a computer/tablet nav app.

Mark
Kennedyy likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 Old 04-13-2019

Where will you be going? Espritu Santo? Isla San Francisco? I just came back from three weeks in the SOC ten days ago and had a blast! Will be going back down at the end of the month to San Jose del Cabo to bring the boat back so we will "pass in the night". The Coromels are mainly a southern Baja/Bahia Perla thing so I wouldn't worry too much about them. (Come to think about it, we were chased out of Isla San Francisco.) This winter, with the crazy weather up north, produced a number of Nortatas. One of which gave us a bumpy night in Ensenada Grande. We are hoping that the Pacific High will settle in during the next couple of weeks so our bash back won't be too "bashy".

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-04-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Where will you be going? Espritu Santo? Isla San Francisco? I just came back from three weeks in the SOC ten days ago and had a blast! Will be going back down at the end of the month to San Jose del Cabo to bring the boat back so we will "pass in the night". The Coromels are mainly a southern Baja/Bahia Perla thing so I wouldn't worry too much about them. (Come to think about it, we were chased out of Isla San Francisco.) This winter, with the crazy weather up north, produced a number of Nortatas. One of which gave us a bumpy night in Ensenada Grande. We are hoping that the Pacific High will settle in during the next couple of weeks so our bash back won't be too "bashy".
We likely be hitting Espiritu, Partida, San Francisco and San Jose.

I'm chartering a Nautitech 46 from the 12th till the 18th of May. 2 of my crew need to leave 3 days early so we'll be making a couple runs back and forth from the islands to the marina. Most of our time will be spent sailing and spearfishing so whatever the wind and fish are doing will dictate what parts we stick around and where we anchor at night.

That's great to hear you had so much fun down there, I'm even more excited now!

Were you chased out of San Francisco from a SW? It looks well protected from the N.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in