Difficult docking - Page 3 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 67 Old 04-20-2019 Thread Starter
Remember you're a womble

Re: Difficult docking

Yeah, 3-4kts currents. Problem is figuring out when they might be, there are no current stations, and it's a large tidal basin so peak currents do not coincide with the tide tables, according to that, I came in just before high tide which should have seen little/no current, but it was shooting through.
Arcb likes this.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 67 Old 04-20-2019 Thread Starter
Remember you're a womble

Oh and not really any room to practice in the basin, and outside you're in 3m swells a lot of the time. Going to be an interesting place to sail compared to Sidney for sure. I miss my mooring already
Arcb likes this.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 67 Old 04-20-2019
Master Mariner

It's going to be different every time, but once you understand the principle, the combinations don't matter. Relax, you'll get it just fine.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #24 of 67 Old 04-20-2019

It depends on where the Tide Station is. You could begin to set up your own current table, if none is available.

if you were at max current, at the time of High Tide at the Tide Station, that would be a Start. It would indicate that wherever you are there's roughly a 3 hour difference from slack current at your location from the tidal station high or low tide.
post #25 of 67 Old 04-20-2019 Thread Starter
Remember you're a womble

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
It's going to be different every time, but once you understand the principle, the combinations don't matter. Relax, you'll get it just fine.
Oh I understand the principles, and in practice I've usually been pretty decent but this one has me scratching my head. I'm sure I'll figure it out, just whether the boat can take that sort of a beating until I do

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

post #26 of 67 Old 04-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
Going to be an interesting place to sail compared to Sidney for sure. I miss my mooring already
This is you permanent berth? That sucks. It will definitely put a damper on just going out for a few hours sail when time allows.
post #27 of 67 Old 04-20-2019 Thread Starter
Remember you're a womble

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMarks View Post
This is you permanent berth? That sucks. It will definitely put a damper on just going out for a few hours sail when time allows.
Yes, it wasn't the spot I thought I was getting, but it's also a 5 minute walk to the boat from home vs a 1 hour drive to the mooring, plus a dinghy ride.
MarkofSeaLife and Minnesail like this.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

post #28 of 67 Old 04-21-2019
Administrator

Dock

I can't open the photo either and I will report it to the technical mob.

First time docking is very difficult, but if this is your permanent berth you will sort it out so it's dead easy.

The trick will be to find a windless and current free time to practise and try some tricks. Then formulate some plants to try with increasing current.

All I know is that I can teach my boat tricks... I just need to start slowly

mbianka likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #29 of 67 Old 04-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
Yes, it wasn't the spot I thought I was getting, but it's also a 5 minute walk to the boat from home vs a 1 hour drive to the mooring, plus a dinghy ride.
My best advice is to find out what kind of Scotch your Dock Master prefers and gently ply him with it. It’s cheaper by the case.

You got a suck berth, seriously. There is no way to align yourself, to get some kind of perspective on the docking operation. The best tactic is to find a way to improve the berth. Even if you have to pay more for a bigger one. Pay rent or pay for repairs, it’s just money.

Best of luck. My first few dockings with our big boat were really bad, one ended in an intentional grounding. No joke, I stuck her nose in the bank until I could calm down and reassess. That was a bad marina to berth in, I got the Owner to give me an end slip.

44’ boat, + 5’ bow sprit, full keel, barn door rudder, motor boat prop (at the time), IOW would not back for beans. And I was suppose to dock alongside between 2 other boats with about 10’ clearance each end.

But also changing to a proper sailboat prop made a big difference in backing ability. Surprising how many sailboats don’t have a sailboat prop.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Last edited by hpeer; 04-21-2019 at 08:10 AM.
post #30 of 67 Old 04-21-2019
Learning the HARD way...

TL,DR;

Here is the pic;

Assuming that the OP meant to dock on the inside of the pier, I would have rigged for port side to the dock and backed in to the desired spot with fenders out. I would have at least one fender rigged at deck height, so that if I were blown into the boat tied at the dock, we would both be protected.

[EDIT] I would have executed the 180º turn where the arrow indicating the current directon is drawn.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 04-21-2019 at 10:23 AM. Reason: clarity / detail

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in