Small Craft Warning - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 04-26-2019
Sailnet Vendor

Dock
Re: Small Craft Warning

Or maybe an off the shelf storm jib that clips over your forestay. They're not terribly convenient, but they don't cost as much as a custom alternative.
Attached Thumbnails
WL-storm-jib-HR-2.jpg  

Judy B
San Francisco Bay and Delta
F24 Trimaran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 04-26-2019
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnwReacher View Post
So, something of a cross-post here from another thread - similar question (two actually), but different angle:

I've found I like sailing in heavier weather (and my wife does, too), and have been working to learn more about it over the last few seasons. I should add I'm in the PNW, on a 27' masthead sloop, so heavy weather for us is about the bottom end of a USCG small craft warning (21-33 kts)....
I have no answers to your questions, I just wanted to point out to those reading and who are new to sailing that a Small Craft Advisory (actually issued by NOAA, not the USCG) varies around the U.S. It is based on the local conditions and not any fixed wind and/or wave height.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnwReacher View Post
3 points, fully battened, although the previous owner fixed the boom at the top of its slider, so the center of effort is quite high (boom is fixed a solid 7' off the cockpit sole).

And Yes - should have clarified I was including working with the traveler as part of active sheeting.
Sounds good - the traveler is your best friend when it gets gusty. Any idea why your boom is fixed so high? Don't know what kind of boat you have but the designer had it sliding for a reason. You might get some help by un-fixing it and moving the sail down a bit if it is higher than designed.

A sailmaker should be able to work with you to make your roller furling genoa perform well when partly furled. Good luff pad makes a lot of difference and some are better than others when the sail is not furled. I have a thick Dyneema rope in the front of the cruising jib that really screws up airflow when it is not reefed. Would do it differently on a new sail I think.

post #14 of 14 Old 04-28-2019
Catalina 400 MKII

It looks like you've gotten good advice here. I particularly liked the idea of going to a 90 - 100% furling jib. I do have one thing to add to the discussion: inspect the heck out of your standing and running rigging. You do not say how old the boat is, but the standing rigging is under tremendous loads in heavy weather. If you know that you spend a lot of time in stressful conditions, you might replace at the earlier end of it's expected life, say at 10 years instead of 15 years.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in