Chain Snubber "tell tale" - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-26-2019 Thread Starter

Chain Snubber "tell tale"

Discovered a very useful technique for anchoring with all chain.

Here it is.

Get yourself a mooring compensator like this:

Rubber Mooring Snubber - Taylor Made Products 2019 Catalog

Use the appropriate size line and compesator for your boat. The line should be about min 30' long. Do an eye splice at one end. Attach your chain hook the use the small eye.

Next set up the compensator so that its 4-6 feet from the eye splice/chain hook. For safety... add a lobster float at the end so if you drop the snubber one end is float and you can retrieve it.

Drop your anchor... chain should be marked. I have marks at 50, 100 and 150 feet for 200 feet of chain. lay out the correct scope BASED on the depth... not the free board ht.

Next hook the chain hook of the snubber line to the chain at or just aft of the anchor roller.... wherever it's convenient to reach.

Lay down more chain holding on to the snubber line until the chain hook has disappeared below the water. The conpensator needs to be ABOVE the water so you can see it. Now lead the snubber line to a cleat and tie it off.

Next lay out more chain and the snubber wull be taking the anchor load.

Here's what the compensator will tell you.

Assumes decent wind force or engine in reverse... so boat is pulling after on the anchor

ANCHOR NOT SET

mooring compensator DOES NOT unwind and DOES NOT stretch... you may be dragging or the chain is in a pile at the bottom.

ANCHOR SET

Mooring compensator DOES unwind and DOES stretch. This tells you that the anchor is set and resisting (holding the boat) the force of the motor or the wind. The more it unwinds... the more it stretches... the greater the force on the anchor tackle.

The mooring compensator will tell you IF your anchor is set or if it not. PERIOD FULL STOP END OF STOREY.

NOTE: The anchor could break free in strong winds. If it does the compensator will show no stretching and no unwinding. So if it gets windy... go forward and observe the compensator as it's telling you if you are set or dragging.

This system has not failed me once in 25 years. BUT IN STRONG WINDS AND / OR CURRENTS YOU NEED TO PERIODICALLY CHECK THE COMPENSATOR.
Minnesail likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-26-2019

Re: Chain Snubber "tell tale"

Great idea! A visual drag snitch.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-26-2019
Old soul

Interesting approach. I can see and feel my snubbers stretch out under load, but I can see how the rubber link would be an easy visible marker.

I always set my anchor on straight chain only. I only add in the snubber at the end, after the anchor is set and well dug in. Not saying the other way isnít fine, but without the snubber on it is absolutely clear when the anchor is holding as the chain goes straight and hard.
SanderO, capta, flyrod and 1 others like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old 04-26-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Interesting approach. I can see and feel my snubbers stretch out under load, but I can see how the rubber link would be an easy visible marker.

I always set my anchor on straight chain only. I only add in the snubber at the end, after the anchor is set and well dug in. Not saying the other way isnít fine, but without the snubber on it is absolutely clear when the anchor is holding as the chain goes straight and hard.
Chain can go straight when the boats dragging... the bottom offers some resistance... the compensator technique assures that the rode is secured to the bottom and taking a serious load... enough to hold the boat.

If the wind is light you STILL want to load up the tackle to set it well so that when the wind DOES pipe up the anchor system is set for the higher load. I am not sure the rating of these compensators... but I am sure that you can compute the force by how much it elongates. Kinda hard to see that in a plain bare snubber line.

post #5 of 16 Old 04-26-2019
Master Mariner

It seems that every time you anchor, this snubber is wearing on the snub line in places you can't see.
Any more elasticity in our snub line would just create more movement of the boat. I can't for the life of me see any improvement on a properly sized nylon spring line with chafe gear at the boat and a proper chain hook in the chain.
KISS has always been considered a pretty good idea around boats.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 16 Old 04-26-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
It seems that every time you anchor, this snubber is wearing on the snub line in places you can't see.
Any more elasticity in our snub line would just create more movement of the boat. I can't for the life of me see any improvement on a properly sized nylon spring line with chafe gear at the boat and a proper chain hook in the chain.
KISS has always been considered a pretty good idea around boats.
Cap... this is a very simple system... no different from YOUR snubber except it includes the "tell tale" mooring compensator. There is no additional movement.. a slight twist which shortens the line a few inches. No additional chafe. In fact leading the snubber line over the bow roller reduces chafe.

I added a float which can be handy of you have to leave your anchor and dive down and retrieve it later.... it will serve as a marker buoy.

post #7 of 16 Old 04-26-2019
Master Mariner

I've seen those used on dock lines for half a century or so and didn't think them a particularly good idea for that purpose, so I can't see using one on a snub line.
I just do not see the plus.
As for anchoring, if one throws the proper amount of heavy metal in the water, a well-designed anchor like a Rocna should do its job. At least it has for us for nearly 4 years, and we only back down if Med mooring or in a flat calm, so we can lay the chain for the expected wind.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #8 of 16 Old 04-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I've seen those used on dock lines for half a century or so and didn't think them a particularly good idea for that purpose, ...
Why not? Don't you think that another inch or two of elasticity in the dock lines is a good thing, to lower the load on that hardware (cleats and stuff)?
post #9 of 16 Old 04-26-2019
Old soul

Like I said, I think itís interesting, but I have to side with Capta on this ó I donít really see the utility. I donít have any problem seeing and feeling my snubbers load up under strain.

Actually, the one benefit I could see is that it might add more elasticity to a short snubber. Perhaps in tight quarters this would be a good idea.
SanderO and Uncle Bob the 1st like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #10 of 16 Old 04-26-2019

Those things have been around eons.

On another topic...
I dont want to run snubber over bow roller...chafe can be easily dealt with.

Use the right size rope and you get enough elastisty...no snatching.
I think a lot of people oversize
Uncle Bob the 1st likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in