The reality of responsibility - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 05-26-2019 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

The reality of responsibility

My wife picked this off another forum and I think it clearly shows the level of ignorance among our community.
"If you were in Stamford yesterday in you Pearson 26, I'm sorry. I truly could not stop, towing two 150 ft scows full of scrap metal. I had made two security calls moments before we met. One on 16, the other on 13. I also gave a hard to not hear whistle signal about 3-5 minutes prior.
Your best option was the one you took. A little scratched paint on that fender of the hurricane gate was definitely the lesser of two evils.
Just know, i didn't enjoy it any more than you did. Despite your angry shouts, we did in fact "belong there".
Pro tip: at high tide, expect commercial traffic in both branches of the river/harbor.
Glad you lived to sail another day. If we meet somewhere when I'm out pleasure boating, drinks are on me.
P.S. We have most of it video recorded on hard drive."
I don't think I can add much other than to say when I was in the position of this towmaster, I was much less of a gentleman. After all, the ignoramus on the Pearson was risking my license and livelihood (food & clothes for my kids, college education money, etc.), not just his apparently worthless to him, life!
PatMc57 likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-26-2019

Re: The reality of responsibility

"Don't worry. They'll get out of the way. I learned that driving the Saratoga."
post #3 of 21 Old 05-26-2019 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanM26 View Post
"Don't worry. They'll get out of the way. I learned that driving the Saratoga."
Oh, really?
JimMcGee likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old 05-26-2019
Dirt Free

My home slip is right next to the very narrow harbour entrance. On numerous occasions I've heard sailing instructos tell the kids ... " Don't worry about power boats you have right of way".
SanderO and mbianka like this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #5 of 21 Old 05-26-2019

I heard that they add 'except that Mr boatpoker, stay out of his way'.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Oh, really?
Per Captain Ron, yes, really.
post #7 of 21 Old 05-27-2019
1968 Columbia 50

Capta, when I was reading this on that forum, I could not believe what I was reading, seriously who really thinks they can tangle with a tow master in a narrow channel, all while not heeding horns and securite calls? Even ignoring the rules of navigation..hypothetically..you would think that anyone with even half a bucket of common sense would know better.

I am glad though, that for all the comments I saw on that post, everyone was in support of the tow master, and some even called for releasing the video, which he could not do(legality and difficulty of retrieving the video).

I have heard that about Mr. Boatpoker, even in our harbors here in Michigan, everyone keep a vigilant eye out for him should he ever make his way in our direction....

S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
post #8 of 21 Old 05-27-2019 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
Capta, when I was reading this on that forum, I could not believe what I was reading, seriously who really thinks they can tangle with a tow master in a narrow channel, all while not heeding horns and securite calls? Even ignoring the rules of navigation..hypothetically..you would think that anyone with even half a bucket of common sense would know better.
I can't count the number of times I've had to do a 180 when towing the water barge from Rosie Roads to St. T. because some idiot was about to run over the tow line, even in daylight, never mind nights when properly lit.
Or going up or down the ICW between Miami and Ft Lauderdale with a barge that just barely fits through the bridge fenders and having the jet skiers play "chicken" with the barge, or sailboats trying to beat us to the opening.
They are risking the lives of everyone onboard, and don't seem to grasp the shape of the barge's bow means there is no escape at all if they mistime things. Whistle, radio calls and waving arms are all absolutely useless, and they are risking a manslaughter charge for me, because US civil courts just don't understand why the tug can't just stop and wait for those fools, even with a following current.
As I said above, I was less gentlemanly than the captain who wrote the piece and sometimes I wished Darwin's theory proved again, so I nor none of my colleagues would ever go through the stress of encountering that same idiot again.
MarkofSeaLife and oysterman23 like this.

post #9 of 21 Old 05-27-2019
cdy

"Don't worry about power boats you have right of way"

"but I had the right of way" on your tombstone is not a good thing - learn that quick riding a moto.
wymbly1971 and DinghyRace like this.
post #10 of 21 Old 05-27-2019

Dock

It is the responsibility of every captain to drive at the speed that is safe in the circumstances.

The Tug captain is obviously incapable of avoiding a Sunday sailor who makes a mistake, maybe while yelling at his 3 young children.

No. The tug captain can not just kill the kids.

He thus needs further training to be able to be safe in all circumstances.

A tug captain should be one of the world's most able watermen.

Mark
Morild likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in