Cape May to Block Island advice needed - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 48 Old 06-23-2019

Re: Cape May to Block Island advice needed

When we were in Barrington RI only went to block on weekdays when school was still in session . Then it was a lovely place to go. So agree with Don on that to some extent. They have awesome fish tacos at the dinghy landing area from new harbor to the beach. Some decent restaurants in old harbor. A bike rental is worth it to get some exercise and time off the boat. On transit mode itís a stop to get fuel/food. Anchor near the big tugboat. Whole place is loose mud and poor holding like the chessie. Only use chain. Donít back down. Wait until anchor has time to settle through the goop.
As said above you could spend a lifetime exploring L.I. Sound. But you save a day( even with no stops) and often a lot of fuel going on the out side. Also itís much less stressful in decent weather when youíre the only sailor aboard.
Are you on a leisurely cruise or just want to get north (or south)? If the later go on the outside.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 Old 06-23-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest View Post
Chef, I'm sure 39 miles to block, was a typo :-) Or, I'd be there every week. ;-) As far as the Staten Island Ferry goes, If you keep to Brooklyn side of the river, and duck behind Governors Island, and use Buttermilk channel, the S.I. ferry is not a concern. There's plenty of other ferry traffic, in lower Manhattan though, but the big yellow bus isn't a problem, unless of course, you need to get up close and personal with the Statue of Liberty.
Lol yes me too. I meant 39 hours.

Yes you can avoid the ferry if you do Buttermilk, but I assumed if you were doing that 1 time up the East River you spoke about, youíd want to go past the Statue of Liberty vs cruise ships and gravel barges on the Buttermilk Channel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #13 of 48 Old 06-23-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Understood! ;-) Do you skip the Abacos and the Bahamas too? Just a plug for my home waters. The Atlantic Highlands in New Jersey is a boater friendly stop, frequented by many transients. Easy in and out without local knowledge. In the Spring and Fall, there are more Canadian Flagged vessels than geese in port.
No inlet to worry about and the outer harbor is plenty deep. Cruiser friendly town, with everything you need within walking distance. You can get launch service at anchor now for $25/day, or dinghy in. Moorings are $55.00/night. Seastreak, to NYC is right there.
I agree. I understand why many LRC donít stop in along the Jersey Shore. It doesnít fit in with their itinerary and consequently most donít really know the beauty and neat little towns.

There are many and I dare say most who read these threads who donít do LRC and they should also know the inside passage is not a negative one at all and may meet their needs for vacation and also the type of boats they have. It is also a good way to build up experience for later LRC.

Altlantic Highlands is a nice place. We usually stop there. Since we have a good dinghy we anchor at the end of the protective mooring field. It is a perfect place where you can economically visit NYC from. The Streak will take you to the Financial District and you can take a free bus to the Freedom Tower and 911 Memorial area.

Barnegat is a quintessentially laid back beach town with great seafood, fishing boats for day trip, and a picturesque anchorage behind the lighthouse with a coool ocean breeze most days. The inlet can be dangerous but is doable in most conditions.

Atlantic City is not for everyone, but the Famoius White House subs, Docs Oyster House and the Borgota Restaurants are great places. Easy inlet too.

Cape May is the gem. Great restaurants great shopping, great beaches.

My wife was able to get her coastal cruising experience from these trips so eventually she was willing to make the 39 hour overnight straight to Block or Montauk and even the Delaware at night to catch the current.

I have given advice to many SN who have similar sized and smaller 35 footers like mine how to enjoy the NJ Coast as well as inside passage. In their and my case, the journey is the point vs the destination and it can be a good confidence builder in taking the next step to longer ocean cruising.

Donít overlook the beauty and sailability of NJ. It requires other skills and has many attractions. Itís shore towns are better maintained than most states as are its beaches and boardwalks.
oysterman23 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner

post #14 of 48 Old 06-23-2019

Chef agree there are many wonderful places to sail and NJ shore is one of them but still contend if youíre trying to go from A to B just like LI sound which I think the world of its fly over country.
For many years kept a boat in Plymouth MA. Itís a truly great harbor and town. Still if I was trying to make time getting from south of the CC canal heading to the maritimes even I would bypass my home town. Takes to long to get in and out. Itís a great harbor of refuge though.
SanderO and chef2sail like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #15 of 48 Old 06-23-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
When we were in Barrington RI only went to block on weekdays when school was still in session . Then it was a lovely place to go.
Are you on a leisurely cruise or just want to get north (or south)? If the later go on the outside.
==========================================
Hi
single handed geriatric sailor trying to reduce the stress level as much as possible.
I have been out of cruising and sailing for almost 18 years, now on Martha Lei a 30 Cape Dory MKII.
This is more likely the last shot at longer range cruising and want to make the most without unduly risk.
So far have rounded Cape Hatteras and reached Cape May with a crew, now on my own, the risk of busy sea lanes is there but possible manageable if alert.
post #16 of 48 Old 06-23-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
==========================================
Hi
single handed geriatric sailor trying to reduce the stress level as much as possible.
I have been out of cruising and sailing for almost 18 years, now on Martha Lei a 30 Cape Dory MKII.
This is more likely the last shot at longer range cruising and want to make the most without unduly risk.
So far have rounded Cape Hatteras and reached Cape May with a crew, now on my own, the risk of busy sea lanes is there but possible manageable if alert.
Checked my log from when I went directly from Cape May past Montauk to Fishers Island Sound. That is the same distance as going to Block Island. We motored the whole way with a crew of 3 under reasonable conditionsójust not for sailing. Cape May inlet to East Harbor, Fishers Island = 36 hours at 2200rpm in our 35 ft boat. Chefís 39 hour estimate is realistic, but we were not exactly pushing it at the end of a 1700 mile delivery trip.

The OPís might reasonable assume a 39 hour transit on the outside in his CD 30, but I would be concerned if he is single handing and trying to stay alert for that amount of time. We did not see a lot of ship traffic, but it only takes one missed contact to end the cruise.
post #17 of 48 Old 06-24-2019

Given a very reasonable concern about getting a sleep break in you have several choices
CM to Atlantic highlands ( easy to get in during daylight even if youíve never been there before).
Then decide outside or inside. Wouldnít worry much about timing the Race at the end of the Sound as Stonington/ Fisher island sound area are nicer than Block if you go inside. Stonington is a great spot. Only downside is youíre going to pay for a mooring. You still need to time hell gate regardless of size of boat or number of crew. If you go up the Sound the Connecticut side is nicer imho and everything is cheaper as well. You didnít say if youíre time constrainted. Are you?
Outside is pure sailing and quicker. Virtually no traffic compared to inside to the point of being able to catnap in the cockpit with the AIS zone alarm on.
However in your boat given its days work ( probably under 150m realistically) thereís much to be said for going inside. Basically youíll have multiple places to take a break. Going outside you have two long legs and no easy harbors of refuge.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #18 of 48 Old 06-24-2019

Quote:
.....You might want to try to plan your arrival at block in Daylight, if you've never been there. It's a somewhat narrow entrance that takes you close to the beach. Then of course finding a suitable anchorage or a mooring ball is challenging this time of year. if you get there early a.m. you might catch someone leaving a mooring........
Block Island Race week starts today. It will be crowded.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #19 of 48 Old 06-24-2019

Been to BI scores of times.... don't go anymore because in season it's way too crowded. Summer crowds on boats or beaches, bike paths or BI have no appeal. Shoulder season is the only time I would consider a visit. Great Salt Pond is full of boats dragging.
mbianka likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 06-25-2019 at 06:14 AM.
post #20 of 48 Old 06-24-2019

Agree that Race week to Labor Day is overcrowded on Block. The place has many good memories of when my family took our boat there, when I was a kid. Very different back then. The Oar did not serve sushi! 🙂

I still try to get there, with my Father, on one night during the summer, when he travels up from FL. Heís in his 80s and Iíll keep trying so long as he can pull it off. I will only go, if wind is forecast <15 kts, for fear of folks dragging around me. Iím happy to take the 50ft hole, in the designated anchorage, which is always the last to fill. Or it has a mega yacht or two and their pro crew know what theyíre doing. Mid week is better than weekends. Another tip is to call the harbor master on ch12 and ask to go on the waiting list for a private mooring. They charge the same and will let you know around 3pm, if one is free for the night.

If Iím going for it, I keep the Point Judith Refuge as my bailout. If Iím not happy with being able to anchor, its 90 mins away and always has ample room. A long dinghy ride into the Matunuck Oyster Bar is a pretty nice consolation. You can tie up at their working dock. The refuge itself is nothing to write home about. Itís just a layover/backup plan.
SanderO and oysterman23 like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in