Cape May to Block Island advice needed - Page 3 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 48 Old 06-24-2019

Re: Cape May to Block Island advice needed

More I think about you would suggest going inside. Say that given the boat youíre on. This trip has a huge variation in how much time it takes. Examples
When we took delivery on our current boat left Norfolk in high 20s low 30s. Strung together two consecutive >200m days. Even had high teens low twenties going up Naragansett bay. All wind behind the mast. Went outside and was there before we left.
Another time (coming back from Annapolis) predictions were for pop up T storms for next 3 days. Although we saw big wind with the storms but in between there was nothing and had to power. Took 4 days. Anchored without going all the in to harbors several times to wait things out. Used ny or conn. side depending on wind/ direction during the storms.
Another time with one crew powered around the clock averaged just 6 kts for the trip.
Folks have been mentioning a time frame of around 2 days (~40h). Think thatís wrong. Think on your boat 4 days going inside would be reasonable and thatís in best conditions given the need for sleep.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 Old 06-24-2019

I go up the east river a couple times a year. Traffic is not a big deal, just stay out of the way of the big ships, the little ferries will avoid you. A couple of things:
1) There's a lot of current in the east river. You need to plan your timing to be going at slack or with the current (unless motoring against up to 6 kts of current is your idea of fun).
2) The wind is crazy unpredictable, there are lots of eddies, and yes you may need to dodge a tug & barge or two. Do not try to sail, and do not use the autopilot.
3) (Bonus) Sometimes they'll close the East River (or part of it) for UN dignitaries. Might want to check the notice to mariners.
fallard likes this.
post #23 of 48 Old 06-24-2019

A number of posts ago the OP said he was going outside and we havenít heard from him since. Hope he reports in within the next 24 hours so we can find out how it went.

BI might be a challenge this week, but is seems there is always room for one more. The Harbormaster will do what he can.

Iím with the majority opinion here: I didnít go to BI last year until Labor Day when the harbor empties out and the Town moorings are available and discounted to $25.

post #24 of 48 Old 06-25-2019

I didn't realize that this was Race Week in BI, I would have avoided that like the plague. ;-)
oysterman23 and mbianka like this.
post #25 of 48 Old 06-27-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
Checked my log from when I went directly from Cape May past Montauk to Fishers Island Sound. That is the same distance as going to Block Island. We motored the whole way with a crew of 3 under reasonable conditionsójust not for sailing. Cape May inlet to East Harbor, Fishers Island = 36 hours at 2200rpm in our 35 ft boat. Chefís 39 hour estimate is realistic, but we were not exactly pushing it at the end of a 1700 mile delivery trip.

The OPís might reasonable assume a 39 hour transit on the outside in his CD 30, but I would be concerned if he is single handing and trying to stay alert for that amount of time. We did not see a lot of ship traffic, but it only takes one missed contact to end the cruise.
========================================
like to thanks for all the excellent advice, finally have to accept as "Clint Eastwood reminds us, A Man has to know his limitations"
Yes at my age and single handing seems unwise, with much regret decided to break the trip, yesterday arrived at Sandy Hook and plan to just hugh the Long Island coast to Montauk,still have to go across the bottleneck here at the entrance of NY but at least those monsters have to decrease their speed!!!
thanks all again
outbound, mbianka and tempest like this.
post #26 of 48 Old 06-28-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest View Post
I didn't realize that this was Race Week in BI, I would have avoided that like the plague. ;-)
=================================
hi
Tempest
do you know how long this Race week last?
thanks
post #27 of 48 Old 06-28-2019

Race week ended today.

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 48 Old 06-28-2019

Race week, Ended today, but then next week is 4th of July week. It's just a busy place, in the summer. If you like crowds, it's a party. Hopefully you can find a town mooring, or a good anchor. Call the harbormaster Steve Land after 2 p.m. ? they may have private moorings available for a night. ( I think you only get one night, then you'd have to move to anchor or a town mooring if available. ( green balls)

I think, some of the local mainland folks, sail or motor ahead of the 4th of July weekend , take the ferry home and ferry back for the weekend. At $40.00/ night, it's still cheaper than renting a house.
post #29 of 48 Old 06-28-2019 Thread Starter

thanks
do you think might ease the congestion of transients, planning to live Sandy Hook on Monday arriving at BI on Tuesday
post #30 of 48 Old 06-28-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest View Post
Race week, Ended today, but then next week is 4th of July week. It's just a busy place, in the summer. If you like crowds, it's a party. Hopefully you can find a town mooring, or a good anchor. Call the harbormaster Steve Land after 2 p.m. ? they may have private moorings available for a night. ( I think you only get one night, then you'd have to move to anchor or a town mooring if available. ( green balls)

I think, some of the local mainland folks, sail or motor ahead of the 4th of July weekend , take the ferry home and ferry back for the weekend. At $40.00/ night, it's still cheaper than renting a house.
==============================================
thank you,did not see your reply earlier,am a little anxious getting there and "not having room at the inn",seen pictures showing a carpet of anchored boats,I suppose there is always room for one more?
David
fallard likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Davil For This Useful Post:
fallard (06-29-2019)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in