Cape May to Block Island advice needed - Page 4 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Cape May to Block Island advice needed

If you have any chance to get a spot it would certainly be early in the week. If you can time your arrival for early morning in daylight, you might catch someone departing a town mooring. Otherwise, you can find a spot to anchor, get some sleep and then give the Harbormaster a call in the Afternoon to see if he has a private mooring to rent for a night, then you can move to that. ( Harbormaster is on ch.12)

You can always choose to Raft up at Champlin's marina. They always seem to find room for one more boat. $$ .

Solo, is tricky. You'll see people cruising the mooring field in dinghy's with radios, or phone. They'll circle around in the morning waiting for someone to leave a mooring and then tie up the dinghy and call the mother ship over ;-)

If all else fails, you can always sail over to Pt. Judith and find a spot.

As a complete alternative to Block I Sticking around and Sailing Sandy hook bay, New York harbor for a few days can also be fun. Sail up to see the Statue of Liberty.
Great Kills Harbor on Staten Island is a neat spot IMHO. you can anchor in there or obtain a guest mooring, they have a great outdoor Tiki Bar restaurant. Hike up to the Twin Lights in the Atlantic Highlands etc. The Fireworks in the Atlantic Highlands are on the 5th.

That said, if you've never been to Block Island, it's nice to do. It's still a long overnight sail, and you need to stay alert the whole time. And when you arrive, you still have some work to do to find a spot to anchor or moor. Last time there, I found a nice spot up near the north corner near the prohibited zone, in about 23 ft of water. Watch out for those mounds ( 12 ft. etc) I saw a boat drag it's anchor off that mound and when Boat US got to it, the anchor was just hanging in the water ( no scope). Make sure you set your hook well. Good Luck.

Last edited by tempest; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thank you Fallard for all the time and patience.
Have the slip here at Sandy Hook until Monday AM.enough time to avoid the weekend crowd on the water and decide on the choices you have presented.
Again, thank you very much
David
post #33 of 48 Old 2 Weeks Ago

We don't know your schedule, if you have one. But, you can always take your time getting to Block, by going up on the inside.
It's really quite easy and requires no solo overnight sails.

From the Atlantic Highlands you can head North and go up the Hudson to the East River. Really a great experience! You could stop in Manhasset Bay, and Port Washington, they have free moorings available if you call the town taxi, they will come out with Pendants.
I happen to like staying on the NY side. From Manhasset, there are several other stops along the way. I typically head for Port Jefferson. From Port Jeff, you can cross over the sound to Connecticut River and Old Saybrook, or Essex or any number of other spots. ( I like Old Saybrook) Or you can head for Plum Gut and Greenport or 3 mile harbor.

The crossing to Block from Old Saybrook is pretty Straight forward and easy, just time the Race right. You could easily spend a week cruising around Long Island Sound and then head for Block Is. after the 4th of July weekend. If you get there early a.m. Monday, the 8th or Even Sunday afternoon the 7th, you may get lucky and find a Green Ball that someone has vacated.
SanderO and chef2sail like this.

post #34 of 48 Old 2 Weeks Ago

BI is so popular for many reasons. The sail for both LI's east end and CT south shore is easy and usually off the wind. The island is only about a 10 miles sail from Montauk not similar from Watch Hill of the race... Currents run strong so that can be fun and make it a wet slog. Sailing to an offshore island is a fun thing for sure. The island itself has some appeal to summer tourists....beaches, ocean views, the light house, a quite town with some good eats.... and it's a great size to bike or hike around. For all of the above reasons it very very popular for sailors, summer renters and day trippers who get there from any one of several ferries.

Crowds in season are the reality... can't be avoided. For sailors they have not great anchoring options because despite the size of Great Salt Pond, the holding is notoriously bad and the moorings too few. Someone might consider installing more moorings for a courtesy and as a business. Why not? I am sure sailors would appreciate it and be willing to pay for a good night's rest.

Having sail the above... BI is fabulous in the shoulder and off season when you can enjoy its beauty with the crowds. Local sailors realize this after learning the hard way... maybe the only way.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
The Following User Says Thank You to SanderO For This Useful Post:
Davil (2 Weeks Ago)
post #35 of 48 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

thank you Tempest
no schedule, just the 4th kind of complicated the travel.
actually, my goal is getting past LI to find a spot to leave the boat for a few weeks, like to go home (Morehead City NC) been away for a month and check my house, spend some time with my daughter and return to continue sailing up north.
Thought Buzzards Bay might offer more variety of choices, docks or perhaps just haul out and leave her on the hard.

Last edited by Davil; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:33 AM.
post #36 of 48 Old 2 Weeks Ago

If you need a place to leave the boat... try to find a mooring in Narragansett Bay... definitely more options and better for ground transportation... not to mention things to see. And yes there are summer crowds.
tempest likes this.

post #37 of 48 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We just traveled this route. BI is a lot of hype IMHO.

Good advice from Tempest. Port Washington. - excellent free moorings and grocery store
Northport- one of my favorites
Port Jefferson- good anchorage starboard right after coming through the inlet
Greenwich- interesting
Milford- fun town
Olde Saybrook - North Cove beautiful
Fisher Island - East Harbor best...west full of snooty people
Stonington- quaint
Montauk- fun
Greenport- one of my favorites
Newport- must spend time
Cuttyhunk- perfectly serene
Martha Vineyard- yuppyville

Block Island...need a dinghy....then a cab ...for what? Everyone should go...just to say you’ve been there
SanderO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #38 of 48 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Have found you can safely anchor in BI with the same technique required in some places in the chessie. Have 200’ of chain or more. Next gen anchors will work and I use a Rocna with success. Find a spot with sufficient swing. Coming in the channel it usually means an immediate turn to port and anchoring in ~35-40’. Many boats there don’t carry enough rode so usually only larger boats are in that sector. Drop at least 2x the depth and wait. If there’s wind use your engine to stay over the drop point. Idea is to have the weight of the anchor allow it the settle through the muddy soup and get to thicker stuff. As you drift back use your engine to keep slack in the chain. If no wind and you are backing down do so slowly enough the windlass can stay ahead so there’s no tension on the chain. Leave the engine on and wait. But don’t back down. Keep little or no tension on the chain. Go put on the sail cover or have a drink but wait 15-20 minutes. Goal is to lay out the chain enough there’s no pile of chain anywhere but no big tension on it either. If you dive your chain you should see no part of your anchor.
We generally will stay on the boat for at least an hour after dropping. Will use an anchor alert program on the IPad to see if we’re dragging.
Before starting to cruise I kept my boat either in Plymouth MA or Marion MA or Barrington RI so have decades in these waters. I like BI but only on work days when school is in session.
SanderO likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #39 of 48 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Btw people keep mentioning Montauk. Personally if I’m going to blow silly money for a hamburger and a beer rather be in Sag. It’s a goof to anchor among the mega yachts in good sandy holding to port of the channel coming in. The whole area is well protected once you leave the Sound proper so no reason to get too close. Think the sound side of Long Island is way overpriced c/w the Connecticut side until you get close to NYC.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #40 of 48 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Have found you can safely anchor in BI with the same technique required in some places in the chessie. Have 200’ of chain or more. Next gen anchors will work and I use a Rocna with success. Find a spot with sufficient swing. Coming in the channel it usually means an immediate turn to port and anchoring in ~35-40’. Many boats there don’t carry enough rode so usually only larger boats are in that sector. Drop at least 2x the depth and wait. If there’s wind use your engine to stay over the drop point. Idea is to have the weight of the anchor allow it the settle through the muddy soup and get to thicker stuff. As you drift back use your engine to keep slack in the chain. If no wind and you are backing down do so slowly enough the windlass can stay ahead so there’s no tension on the chain. Leave the engine on and wait. But don’t back down. Keep little or no tension on the chain. Go put on the sail cover or have a drink but wait 15-20 minutes. Goal is to lay out the chain enough there’s no pile of chain anywhere but no big tension on it either. If you dive your chain you should see no part of your anchor.
We generally will stay on the boat for at least an hour after dropping. Will use an anchor alert program on the IPad to see if we’re dragging.
Before starting to cruise I kept my boat either in Plymouth MA or Marion MA or Barrington RI so have decades in these waters. I like BI but only on work days when school is in session.
This approach to getting the anchor to dig in rings true and matches my technique for all bottoms (more or less). I drop a bunch of chain and let the wind push the boat and slowly undo the pile and get the chain pulling in the right direction I continue to lay out chain slowly with little to know tension until I have the chain out I need. If the anchor sets the boat will usually yaw a bit back and forth. This is a sign that the anchor has set. The I add the snubber and let out more chain so the load is carried by the snubber.. which has a mooring compensator in it. When the tension increases in the chain the compensator stretches, the line around it unwinds and you can see this clean sign that the anchor is well set. As dragging anchor/snubber can't really "show" the tension without the compensator. Of course you can simply wait and see if the boat doesn't move much. After it's set backing down should dig it in a bit more... But it's not necessary if there is enough wind.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in