Red right return . - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Red right return .

I think i'm about to get flamed for this but here goes , mswesti and I were sitting on the boat enjoying the Monday morning with some coffee . She asks me , when we are entering the jetty returning to the marina the red light at the mouth of the jetty is on the right so why is the Port light on the left side of the boat ? Is there something I need to know or was she just yanking my chain ?
Mark .

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Red right return .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwesti View Post
I think i'm about to get flamed for this but here goes , mswesti and I were sitting on the boat enjoying the Monday morning with some coffee . She asks me , when we are entering the jetty returning to the marina the red light at the mouth of the jetty is on the right so why is the Port light on the left side of the boat ? Is there something I need to know or was she just yanking my chain ?
Mark .
Red right return is not the rule everywhere in the world.
Down here it's red to starboard downstream, green to starboard upstream
capta and Markwesti like this.

Cheers, Uncle Bob the 1st from Sydney Aust.
post #3 of 20 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dock

She ain't dumb.

ILIA and ILIB

So half the world gets it right sometimes.

I'm the rest of the world on entering harbour you keep the red on the red.

😁
Markwesti likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #4 of 20 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Mark .
that's simple. the port light is on the left side of the boat because because the green in on the other.
Markwesti likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #5 of 20 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
that's simple. the port light is on the left side of the boat because because the green in on the other.
I taught myself how to remember the side the Port light was on . Port wine "LEFT" me with a hangover .
Slayer likes this.

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
post #6 of 20 Old 3 Weeks Ago

All depends on how you look at it. The red buoy/light(s) is on the port side leaving. It's the opposite when you return. Guess who ever set up the convention was more interested in not causing confusion leaving the harbor. Inland rules are different
jephotog likes this.
post #7 of 20 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Red right return is a simple poem to remember how to get home. It is not an official rule just a rhyme, and according to the world traveling sailors here it is not even "the rule" outside the US.

I think the green light on the right is like a green light on the road. If you see green you are the boat to the right and therefore have the green light=stand on vessel.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
I taught myself how to remember the side the Port light was on . Port wine "LEFT" me with a hangover .
College girlfriend step father was a big sailor. Took me on my first overnight sailing trip to Santa Cruz Island. His license plate had PRTSTBD, which his wife said stood for "Pretty Stupid."
Minnesail likes this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #9 of 20 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Mark .
Well Mark, the lights act like magnets; you can't have the red sidelight on the same side as the light on the jetty or the boat wouldn't be able to make it into the marina. The same goes with the green lights as well. Now, when you're leaving harbor it's backwards, but that's to help propel the boat outwards.
post #10 of 20 Old 2 Weeks Ago

If you are on a starboard tack approaching a vessel on a port tack, you will see a green aviation light and at least in the US, green means you have the right o way over the port tack vessel.
davidpm and Markwesti like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in