SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

AIS on Navionics Boating App?!

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Minnewaska 
#1 ·
Did ya'll see the AIS is available through the Navionics app now?! AIS in the Navionics Boating App

This is a feature that was historically only available to pretty high end equipment. I could definitely see this being a huge help in low vis areas. Has anyone tried this yet?

#2 ·
You do understand that this requires connection to a wifi-capable AIS transponder? The app itself doesn't give you AIS capability, it only connects and shows AIS data produced from a separate AIS transponder.

Navionics is late to this game - other navigation apps have had this functionality for many years now.

Mark

#3 ·
Hello,

I use the Navionics boating app on my phone. I have a B&G plotter and AIS receive on my VHF. I was surprised to see the AIS targets appear on the boating app. It's pretty cool but I still prefer the display on my real plotter.

Barry

#9 ·
Barry,

I with you about Navionics . Have had it from it’s first iteration and update as they have kept adding to it. Sometimes more info than I use , but that’s better than the alternatives.

I have AIS B so I don’t use that feature,

Reactions: SailNDive
#10 ·
All super helpful replies. Thank you!
Yes I agree about the crowdsourced data. It's good to have that extra layer of data since, no matter how big a charting company is, there is no way to chart all of the ocean continually (since the bottom contours change in addition to there just being a LOT to chart).

#11 ·
If you look on the official government charts, there is a reference to the last survey done. Usually the chart has several sections, with various dates. Several years old would be very recent. Decades is not uncommon. I recall there are places on the Bay here that are a century old, iirc. However, not everywhere shoals. Our bottoms are mud, sand and rock, so they likely remain fairly stable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.