Path used to compute bearing and distance by GPS? - Page 5 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 49 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Path used to compute bearing and distance by GPS?

Our autopilot will follow the GPS track itself and it's glorious, when the wind actually allows it. That happened once.
SanderO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Did the connection. Now flying ny Grenada. Sure it’s great circle. In the boat not so much. Not a difficult concept

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #43 of 49 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Suggest you pick up a copy of Cornells Blue Planet Odyssey. Nearly all routes appear to be great circles.

You plan for the most efficient route, and then play the cards you are dealt. Track does not necessarily equal route. Plan the route, execute to the best of your ability, the result is your track, where you are at any given time is your position.

During your route planning phase, you should be able to observe whether the route is straight or curvy.

Unless some one else is doing your route planning navigation for you, like a third party weather router, but even if that is the case, I would still want to have an idea of where my ideal route should be.

Last edited by Arcb; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:08 AM.

post #44 of 49 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Think you’re correct but OPs original question remains. How?
Do you want to see a math formula? Just my opinion, but I have no interest in that kind of minutia. Its like, do I care how my car's ECU computes the pulse duration of the fuel injector. Nope. I know what the variables are, but the calculations, who cares. Since GPS does not use a simple sphere, its going to be some ridiculous Greek that you cant just punch into a calculator anyway.
post #45 of 49 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Suggest you pick up a copy of Cornells Blue Planet Odyssey. Nearly all routes appear to be great circles.

You plan for the most efficient route, and then play the cards you are dealt. Track does not necessarily equal route. Plan the route, execute to the best of your ability, the result is your track, where you are at any given time is your position.

During your route planning phase, you should be able to observe whether the route is straight or curvy.

Unless some one else is doing your route planning navigation for you, like a third party weather router, but even if that is the case, I would still want to have an idea of where my ideal route should be.
YES on a long offshore passage conditions may dictate a LONGER sail because it's faster... better winds!

Getting from here to there especially for long distances in the multiple hundreds of miles or thousands is a process informed by MULTIPLE factors... the shortest path is not the only input and it's rarely achievable.

I'd rather sail a more comfy course than a shorter one can get beat up!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #46 of 49 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Yep, I am very familiar with weather routing. I won't go into details, but I am.

It is somewhat of a red herring in a discussion about differentiating between great circles and rhumb lines. There is absolutely no reason due to weather that somebody couldn't drop a waypoint a thousand miles a way and observe the shape of the line generated by their chartplotter. No reason. It can be done from your desk at home or from the boat on the hard, you don't even have to be going any where to do it.
SanderO likes this.
post #47 of 49 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Yep, I am very familiar with weather routing. I won't go into details, but I am.

It is somewhat of a red herring in a discussion about differentiating between great circles and rhumb lines. There is absolutely no reason due to weather that somebody couldn't drop a waypoint a thousand miles a way and observe the shape of the line generated by their chartplotter. No reason. It can be done from your desk at home or from the boat on the hard, you don't even have to be going any where to do it.
For sure... but what should be of more concern is making the passage not the theoretical geometry of how a GPS works..which is nice to know...

A few years back my deceased best friend did a sailing What If program which you entered the boats polars... the weather prediction between start and destination including Gulf Stream info and it "sailed" a theoretical passage, tacks, gybes and so on... creating a route.

post #48 of 49 Old 3 Weeks Ago

We’ve kicked some interesting points around. The OPs sole theoretical question was whether or not our GPS routing considered the fact that the earth is not a perfect sphere. They also acknowledged the difference was virtually inconsequential, which is true.

It’s a sailing forum. I don’t care what route you put in, you’re very unlikely to stay on it.
SanderO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #49 of 49 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
We’ve kicked some interesting points around. The OPs sole theoretical question was whether or not our GPS routing considered the fact that the earth is not a perfect sphere. They also acknowledged the difference was virtually inconsequential, which is true.

It’s a sailing forum. I don’t care what route you put in, you’re very unlikely to stay on it.
This is sooooooooo true and why the whole nonsense about using routes when sailing is kinda insane.

I've always had more than enough time to enter a waypoint on the fly.... see if I can sail it and if not figure out which tack to sail and so on.

It's not terribly hard to estimate time to get to a destination if you are familiar with your vessels performance, the current situation and the winds.... all of which you should be or you have no business operating the boat. Few to no sailors will follow a schedule because if getting there on time mattered... you wouldn't be sailing.

Loved reading the thread...

Tags
bearings , gps , navigation software

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in