Autoroute on Navionics - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Autoroute on Navionics

Who else is using the autoroute feature on Navionics on their cell phones?

I have been playing with it on my S8 and it is pretty amazing. You enter in your vessels parameters. Has a search function to find start and end location. Let it do its thing. Within about 60 seconds it generates a detailed route based on your vessels parameters. The only thing left for you to do is fly the route to make sure it hasn't done anything wonky.

I have been playing with some pretty complex routes, like 100 miles down the Florida Gulf ICW and it seems to pretty consistently generate an efficient useable route.a route like this would probably take me about 12 hours of study and manually entering way points. And this is all with my cell phone which I can keep powered up for quite a while with a 20000 mah battery and about 5 watts of solar.

Here are some screen shots I took of a 90 mile route from Cape Haze Florida to Everglades City. It takes me down the Florida ICW and into the 10000 islands.

I think my old Garmin GPSmap60csx will be retired to back up status.
Attached Thumbnails
20191114_174850.jpg   20191114_174905.jpg   20191114_174916.jpg  
BarryL and SanderO like this.

Last edited by Arcb; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Autoroute on Navionics

Works well, but you have to watchout for how close they bring you to reefs, rocks and other bad things. There doesn't seem to be a way to say that you want to stay a certain safe distance from known danger.
Arcb likes this.
post #3 of 24 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dock

I navigate off my laptop but I also have an ipad with navionics on it and I've played with the auto-routing feature a few times. It's pretty good. Excellent, really.

But still the thing I hate about the mobile apps is they are too dumbed down. I much prefer OpenCpn on Windows.
SanderO, CVAT and Arcb like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:55 PM.

post #4 of 24 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Good point on safe distances. All it asked for were my beam, draft, height, length, speed and propulsion method, nothing about safe clearing distances.

I haven't played with OpenCPN much. But comparing it to my GPSmap 60, its a big improvement. On the Garmin I can generate the route at home on my laptop and then upload it to the GPS via Base Camp, or enter each waypoint individually with no key board on the unit itself. Navionics creates the route for me.
post #5 of 24 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I have navionics on a tablet and have it running when i am moving. I like it.
I also like that it is different than garmin on my plotters..and a tad different than the chart books.
I dont auto route anything. I just kinda pick and go. And i change my mind often.
I can see it useful for broad planning purposes but you would have to really zoom in, so, to me, im doing the routing anyway.
My navionics does display tides at different locations. Have no idea if it includes that in the auto routing or not. Can be a big deal in some areas
The distance measuring pins are nice for planning
Arcb likes this.
post #6 of 24 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Good point on safe distances. All it asked for were my beam, draft, height, length, speed and propulsion method, nothing about safe clearing distances.

I haven't played with OpenCPN much. But comparing it to my GPSmap 60, its a big improvement. On the Garmin I can generate the route at home on my laptop and then upload it to the GPS via Base Camp, or enter each waypoint individually with no key board on the unit itself. Navionics creates the route for me.
I really like how easy it is to move anywhere on the route. Drag the line to port or starboard and it recalculates to show the best approach and path. It's not perfect, and the route needs to be fully inspected before following it, but seems like a good start to planning any route.

The other nice thing is the warnings whenever you come close to a bridge or overhead cable to verify height. It's nice to be alerted to this warning way before you spend too much time figuring out a proper path.
Arcb likes this.
post #7 of 24 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorsone View Post
I really like how easy it is to move anywhere on the route. Drag the line to port or starboard and it recalculates to show the best approach and path. It's not perfect, and the route needs to be fully inspected before following it, but seems like a good start to planning any route.

The other nice thing is the warnings whenever you come close to a bridge or overhead cable to verify height. It's nice to be alerted to this warning way before you spend too much time figuring out a proper path.
I use the auto route occasionally in Navionics one my Raymarine MFD and I Pad but mainly lay my route manually due to the closeness it could get to shoals sometimes.

I personally like the Navionics as it shows great current vectors as well as peak and lack of current vectors according to time. Invaluable in sailing in areas with reversing current . With that you can adjust the average speed of the boat when plotting the route.

A course into the current will have a different end time than one with all current with you or half time with you. Navionics can show that to you.

The other point is that the course does not equal anything but a straight rumb line, but wind direction can / will change that. Again something you can adjust for on a manual mode.
Arcb likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #8 of 24 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Hey,

I run Navionics on my Iphone, Ipad, and B&G Vulcan 7. I find the autorouting is really great and I use it frequently. It can save a lot of planning time. I like that I can sit at home with my Ipad and plan a route. On the boat the route gets automatically transferred to the Vulcan 7.

I don't believe that the autorouting takes currents into account. I use it more of a guide than a route to faithfully follow.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

post #9 of 24 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post

I don't believe that the autorouting takes currents into account. I use it more of a guide than a route to faithfully follow.

I only have it on my phone, but was hoping from the last post that there was a way to get currents to factor in the routing. I just played with it more and can't see anywhere to set that up.
post #10 of 24 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorsone View Post
I only have it on my phone, but was hoping from the last post that there was a way to get currents to factor in the routing. I just played with it more and can't see anywhere to set that up.
Speaking of currents on plotters... how reliable/precise are they... magnitude, location, duration and direction? Where does the current data come from? Aren't currents affected by the moon? Is this considered in the software?

It seems to me that current (at least in LIS) on plotters I have used is rather "gross". It is useful bit not precise.

One day there will be real time data and plotters will receive this data by radio signal from buoys perhaps or from a satellites.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in