Narragansett sound to Sakonnet River - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska
  • 1 Post By outbound

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Narragansett sound to Sakonnet River

I'm looking for information to sail the boat from Narragansett sound east passage to the Sakonnet River, taking the northern route under the Mt. Hope Bridge then under the sakonnet river bridge. It seems I have only the two bridges which I should fit under with my 60'5" mast at high water. Are there any other bridges or information I should be aware of? Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Narragansett sound to Sakonnet River

It’s referred to as Narragansett Bay, not Sound, but you’ll be welcome either way.

There’s the Newport bridge, as well, but it’s almost 200ft clearance. The highway bridge at the northern part of the Sakonnet was lowered several years back. I know I can’t get under, so I don’t pay close attention. Just make sure you’re checking current charting. Not uncommon for the Bay to be +/- as much as a foot from standard tides too, due to wind, neap, spring, etc. Your mast might be a bit taller than published too, with antennas and the windex.

Just a lap around Aquidneck Island on the bucket list or are you making a stop or need some recommendations?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
JoeDunn (1 Week Ago)
post #3 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago

Itís a totally lovely sail. Often get good wind and no wave so you can really blast. You should have a great time. If you have time go into Bristol. The museum is a kick as is the ice cream shops in that town. Thereís an island near entrance but you can go around either side so itís not much of a detour.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
The Following User Says Thank You to outbound For This Useful Post:
JoeDunn (1 Week Ago)

post #4 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDunn View Post
I'm looking for information to sail the boat from Narragansett sound east passage to the Sakonnet River, taking the northern route under the Mt. Hope Bridge then under the sakonnet river bridge. It seems I have only the two bridges which I should fit under with my 60'5" mast at high water. Are there any other bridges or information I should be aware of? Thanks in advance...
NO Problems with up to 65'. The lowest of the bridges is the Route 24 bridge on the Sakonnet River, which has 65-feet of clearance at MHHW. Watch for BR "DGI" (Danger Gould Island) which is northwest of Gould (aka "Guano") Island. My boat's keel hit the rock which lies about 20 yards the west of the mark, when this mark was G "13". Back in the day, the channel ran between the island and what is now BR "DGI".

There can be a 3kt current going south as you pass through the remnants of the Old Stone Bridge. The current is stronger at ebb than flood.

ETA - If you have the chance to be there after dark, the view of the Mount Hope Bay Bridge at night is wonderful. There is a well known cove (I'll let others tell you the name) where you can enjoy the sunset over Prudence, and then the bridge lit up at night.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

Last edited by eherlihy; 1 Week Ago at 10:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
JoeDunn (1 Week Ago)
post #5 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Appreciate the correction Thank you.

At some point, Moving the boat from NEB over to Safe Harbor Island Marina and onto a mooring. I really like NEB but a mooring, this summer, is a little more affordable... Moreover, if I have bad weather I would take the northern route or may just go to check it out, sounds nice...
post #6 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
......There is a well known cove (I'll let others tell you the name) where you can enjoy the sunset over Prudence, and then the bridge lit up at night.
Guessing you mean Potters Cove off the northeast side of Prudence Island. Could anchor about 1000 boats on the outside of the harbor, if needed. Great layover spot. Good holding, lots of room, protected from prevailing winds. Not a good spot in strong northerlies, which are rare in the summer.
JoeDunn likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago

Store on the top of potters has very good meat.
eherlihy likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
The Following User Says Thank You to outbound For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (1 Week Ago)
post #8 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago
Learning the HARD way...

Interesting - it appears that Safe Harbor is splitting the marinas that Brewer combined into separate marinas. Brewer's Sakonnett River North & South have become Safe Harbor Portsmouth and Island Park.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in