Help! Depending on your help. - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-27-2017 Thread Starter

Help! Depending on your help.

Dear Sailors!

I have a request; I need your help!

My name is Marc, I am a 21-year-old from Switzerland who would like to learn how to sail and practise Spanish at the same time.

My target is South America.

If you had two months to spend whereever you wanted to, to fill with the abovementioned - where would you go?

Thank you very much for any response in advance!

Cheers, Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-27-2017

The only place I have been is Costa Rica, for a family vacation, but all four of us, including our teenagers, loved it and plan to return. People all over the country made
us feel welcome. We could usually find someone, even in small towns, who spoke English, but all of us expanded our Spanish skills. Costa Ricans appreciated when we tried our limited Spanish and were patient in helping us. The food was great and the water good.

We loved the beaches. Tourist services were good. We did two different rain forest canopy zipline tours and they were well built and safe. I was told that they are inspected by the government as amusement rides.

I did not sail there but found this sailing school on line.

http://costaricasailing.com/aboutus/

Be aware of the type of training you get, that it will be accepted by your charter operators back home, or wherever you intend to charter. I received my bareboat skippers certification from Canada, according to Canadian Yachting Association standards. It has been accepted by USA charter operators but I have heard that some European operators require British or French training.

Other people on here will likely know more about this.

Last edited by midwesterner; 06-27-2017 at 01:15 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-27-2017

Re: Help! Depending on your help.

Sailing in a Spanish speaking country?

Miami.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat

post #4 of 14 Old 11-30-2017

Argentina. They have have the most developed sailing tradition in South America, lots of sailing clubs, chandleries and schools. It's quite cheap to live there. You can sail year-round in the estuary of the Rio de la Plata (although the winter can be quite windy and chilly). Plus it's a wonderful country to travel in- nice people, great food and charming cities and towns.
RichH, bigdogandy, -OvO- and 1 others like this.

Vindö 50
post #5 of 14 Old 11-30-2017
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Argentina. They have have the most developed sailing tradition in South America, lots of sailing clubs, chandleries and schools. It's quite cheap to live there. You can sail year-round in the estuary of the Rio de la Plata (although the winter can be quite windy and chilly). Plus it's a wonderful country to travel in- nice people, great food and charming cities and towns.
Is Argentina Spanish speaking or Portuguese?
post #6 of 14 Old 11-30-2017
Master Mariner

Gee, what's wrong with Spain? It's close, no visa required, inexpensive compared to your home, and has lots of sailing? I'd certainly start there, rather than fork out for trans-Atlantic round trip airfare to a place I'm not sure I'd even like.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 14 Old 11-30-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
Is Argentina Spanish speaking or Portuguese?
Are you serious?

Vindö 50
post #8 of 14 Old 11-30-2017
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Are you serious?
I try not to be too serious, but that was an honest question.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-30-2017

Well, Google notwithstanding...
Argentina is a Spanish-speaking country, although there is a fairly large English-speaking community. There are also enclaves that speak Welsh (in Patagonia), German, Italian and a smattering of other languages. But, by a large margin- they speak Spanish.
Portuguese is spoken in Brazil.

Vindö 50
post #10 of 14 Old 11-30-2017
Administrator

Ian may have temporarily forgotten about the The Treaty of Tordesillas that resulted from the 1493 Papal decree, and that this treaty signed at Tordesillas on June 7, 1494, and authenticated at Setúbal, Portugal, divided the newly discovered lands outside Europe between the Portuguese Empire and the Crown of Castile, along a meridian 370 leagues[note 1] west of the Cape Verde islands, off the west coast of Africa. This line of demarcation was about halfway between the Cape Verde islands (already Portuguese) and the islands entered by Christopher Columbus on his first voyage (claimed for Castile and León), named in the treaty as Cipangu and Antilia (Cuba and Hispaniola).

The lands to the east would belong to Portugal and the lands to the west to Castile. The treaty was signed by Spain, 2 July 1494 and by Portugal, 5 September 1494. The other side of the world was divided a few decades later by the Treaty of Zaragoza, signed on 22 April 1529, which specified the antimeridian to the line of demarcation specified in the Treaty of Tordesillas. Originals of both treaties are kept at the Archivo General de Indias in Spain and at the Arquivo Nacional da Torre do Tombo in Portugal.[8]

This treaty would be observed fairly well by Spain and Portugal, despite considerable ignorance as to the geography of the New World; however, it omitted all of the other European powers. Those countries generally ignored the treaty, particularly those that became Protestant after the Protestant Reformation.

I am glad that, we could clear that up. Now back to the show already in progress......(By the way, this is a 5 month old question from a one time poster.- Jus' say'n)

Jeff
copacabana likes this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 11-30-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in