Charter Companies for Phuket - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-04-2018 Thread Starter

Charter Companies for Phuket

Looking to charter a catamaran from Phuket next March. Having trouble figuring out a good charter company. I see Sunsail and Moorings are there. Can anyone offer advice to this newbie charter gal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-04-2018
Master Mariner

Re: Charter Companies for Phuket

From what I have seen (not a bareboat charterer myself, but I sail with them daily) you can't go wrong with Sunsail or the Moorings. There are some less expensive companies out there, but it would be much more hit or miss, which might not be worth the savings if it ruined your vacation.
Just my 2 cents.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
woodburc (12-05-2018)
post #3 of 11 Old 12-04-2018 Thread Starter

Capta, Thanks for the info. Do you mind me asking what you mean by "I sail with them daily"?

post #4 of 11 Old 12-04-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodburc View Post
Capta, Thanks for the info. Do you mind me asking what you mean by "I sail with them daily"?
We operate a crewed charter business in the Windward Islands and literally sail and anchor around many bareboats daily. We also know many of the service personnel scattered throughout the islands who are on call to address any equipment problems these boats may have.
However, as I stated, I am not actually involved with any of them, nor have I sailed on a bareboat since the '80s.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
woodburc (12-05-2018)
post #5 of 11 Old 12-05-2018

The Mooring advice is probably good, if you're going in blind. I used them for years. On the upside, their fleets are usually large, so they can boat swap, if there is a problem. On the downside, there is often a problem. I'm guessing it's because they have among the lowest standards for qualification to bareboat. Some say you need no more than a heartbeat and a checkbook. We were accustom to having mechanical issues and things broken. We once had a boat that was on it's third charter, since new. We had problems with the stove, some of the electronics, one water tank was plugged and the cockpit table had a corner broken off. There was more, but I've purged it. All this in only two prior charters.

We've since found a local mom and pop (USVI/BVI) that we like a lot. We've never had a mechanical issue that caused us to lose time. They argue they're not big enough to be able to easily deal with downtime, so they make the extra effort to maintain them in the first place. There is a full set of spares and reasonable tools aboard. They also do a check sail, before you leave the harbor, to be sure everything works and you seem to know the basics. It's not a real test of your skill, just a sanity test.

I would also add that the Moorings pricing was always simple. One price for everything, typically a tad higher (not much). You brought the boat back, as is. The smaller operations seem more likely to nickle and dime. Probably so their base price looks more competitive. The only thing I dislike about the Mom and Pop operations (we've used two different ones) is they want the boat topped with fuel upon return. That's a hassle, when every bloody bareboat in the area is gunning for the fuel dock at the same time and you need to turn in by noon. I paid a $75 fee (when it was even an option) to skip that top off requirement. It's vacation, for goodness sake.

In the blind, I would go with the Moorings. If you can find an experienced local cruiser that you trust (this will be hard), it's possible a local operator will be much better.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
woodburc (12-05-2018)
post #6 of 11 Old 12-05-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info about Moorings! Do you mind sharing the mom and pop place in usvi/bvi? We hope to head there next and bareboat.

I have been in touch with Moorings, a local company, and with Boatbookings. I'm thinking about going with Boatbookings .... Has anybody had experience with them?
post #7 of 11 Old 12-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodburc View Post
Thanks for all the info about Moorings! Do you mind sharing the mom and pop place in usvi/bvi? We hope to head there next and bareboat.
CYOA Yacht Charters in St. Thomas. We depart that island ASAP and head over to St John or the BVI post haste. STT is awful, but the charter base is almost walking distance from the major airport (not quite). Not sure if they like being referred to as a Mom and Pop, but they only have a half dozen or so monohulls and about 20 catamarans.

Quote:
I have been in touch with Moorings, a local company, and with Boatbookings. I'm thinking about going with Boatbookings .... Has anybody had experience with them?
I've used Ed Hamilton & Co Yacht Charter Agents and thought they did a very good job. I believe they also cover the pacific.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-05-2018

Dock

How does Phuket Thailand convert to the USVI???

Good grief!

Or should I say FFS!!!

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #9 of 11 Old 12-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
How does Phuket Thailand convert to the USVI???

Good grief!

Or should I say FFS!!!
What's in your knickers? I used a pro/con example of a mom and pop I know in the USVI and the OP asked who they were. What's the rub?

Jeanneau 54DS

post #10 of 11 Old 12-05-2018

Grog rub....all is cool...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in