Looking for a Tartan 28 - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 06-11-2019
Senior Member
 
krisscross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,088
Thanks: 40
Thanked 219 Times in 218 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: Looking for a Tartan 28

He likely drifted into the surf zone and breaking waves capsized him. Give the old dude some credit, he logged lots of sea miles.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
krisscross is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Looking for a Tartan 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
While the Tartan 28 is a great boat, there are lots of other choices in that size range that would fit your needs. Don't restrict yourself so much.
Hi JimsCAL,

The other boats on my A list are Islander 28, CAL 28-2 and Islander Bahama 30 (or the mark II). Do you have any other suggestions? Catalina’s are decent but I want something with a little more performance.
Thanks,

Ed
ewalls99 is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago
ASA and PSIA Instructor
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 4,039
Thanks: 14
Thanked 52 Times in 50 Posts
Rep Power: 20
 
Re: Looking for a Tartan 28

The J-28c is a sweet pocket cruiser, the best design of that size bunch...although both the the Cal and Tartan are very desirable boats.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Certified...in several regards...
sailingfool is offline  
 
post #14 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Looking for a Tartan 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
The J-28c is a sweet pocket cruiser, the best design of that size bunch...although both the the Cal and Tartan are very desirable boats.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Hi Sailingfool, Thanks. I’ll take a look at the J-28c. Always thought of them as primarily for racing, but liked them.
ewalls99 is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
JimsCAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Glen Cove, NY
Posts: 4,440
Thanks: 5
Thanked 202 Times in 194 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Re: Looking for a Tartan 28

There are two Cal 28-2s in my club. Nice boat - little brother to my 33-2. The J/28 is also a good choice. Others are the Laser 28 and C&C 30-2. Issue with all these are that there are not a lot around compared Catalinas, Hunters or Benes.
JimsCAL is online now  
post #16 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
chef2sail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,898
Thanks: 76
Thanked 175 Times in 167 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Looking for a Tartan 28

My first keelboat was an Islander 28. Sailed very similar to a Trtan 28 that my friend in the next slip had. Being made in California there. Probably many out where your from and with more choices you’ll probably have a better chance of finding one close to you in good condition.

They were made solid, had a distinct look with lots of teak below and cane fronts on the cubbies. Engines were atomic 4 gas but the universal diesel was a common refit as it fit right in the engine bed and mated with the tranny with virtually no alterations.

Plenty of room below and a safe cockpit. Good choice.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___________________________
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
chef2sail is online now  
post #17 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,093
Thanks: 3
Thanked 50 Times in 49 Posts
Rep Power: 19
 
Re: Looking for a Tartan 28

Tartan built a good quality boat. If you cannot find one and want to shop for others in the top 10 or 20%, consider an Ericson. Their 28+ and their 30+ are fine boats. Any of these will have much stronger hull/ deck joints and generally better engineering than the cheaper ones. Sabre would be another good choice.
A Yamaha 30 would also impress you with its design quality and sailing ability.

Happy hunting!

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon
olson34 is online now  
post #18 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Looking for a Tartan 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
Tartan built a good quality boat. If you cannot find one and want to shop for others in the top 10 or 20%, consider an Ericson. Their 28+ and their 30+ are fine boats. Any of these will have much stronger hull/ deck joints and generally better engineering than the cheaper ones. Sabre would be another good choice.
A Yamaha 30 would also impress you with its design quality and sailing ability.

Happy hunting!
Thanks for the suggestions. I have thought about the Ericsson 28+ and the Sabres. I’ll add the 30+ to my list.
ewalls99 is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Looking for a Tartan 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
There are two Cal 28-2s in my club. Nice boat - little brother to my 33-2. The J/28 is also a good choice. Others are the Laser 28 and C&C 30-2. Issue with all these are that there are not a lot around compared Catalinas, Hunters or Benes.
Thanks. I’ll keep an eye out for the Laser 28 and C&C 30-2.
ewalls99 is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Looking for a Tartan 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
My first keelboat was an Islander 28. Sailed very similar to a Trtan 28 that my friend in the next slip had. Being made in California there. Probably many out where your from and with more choices you’ll probably have a better chance of finding one close to you in good condition.

They were made solid, had a distinct look with lots of teak below and cane fronts on the cubbies. Engines were atomic 4 gas but the universal diesel was a common refit as it fit right in the engine bed and mated with the tranny with virtually no alterations.

Plenty of room below and a safe cockpit. Good choice.
Hi chef2sail, I appreciate the input on the Islander 28. There are more of them in California and several appear to be well maintained.
ewalls99 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome