Is Florida all its cracked up to be? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
There's This Place... Articles on Destinations for Cruising, by Cruisers, for Cruisers...

140Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 182 Old 01-25-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Re: Is Florida all its cracked up to be?

I think there are a number of factors: sailing, seasons, services, and governance (you thought I was going for alliteration didn't you?).

In my opinion estuaries and archipelagos offer the best sailing. In the US that means Maine, Long Island Sound, Chesapeake Bay, the Florida Keys, and the straits of the Pacific Northwest. The Bahamas are wonderful as is the Eastern Caribbean. The Solent is grand. I can't speak to the South Pacific but the stories are wonderful. I have had the good fortune to sail in some other wonderful places although a disturbing number of them have been cold. *grin*

Sometimes seasons and sailing seem to be at odds. If you bundle up just a bit you can sail year round in the PNW. LIS and the Chesapeake really need heat to sail year round but anyone can get 3+ seasons. Both have the odd benefit for those so inclined of four or five months per year with no competition for some glorious anchorages. Maine is a two-and-a-half season sailing ground for all but the hardiest souls. The rest of my list are year round sailing.

You always have to watch out for cyclonic weather in choosing your sailing grounds.

Services are in direct conflict with privacy and isolation. You can get what you want anywhere but time and cost go up. The Florida Keys are a good example of that. So are the Bahamas.

Governance is important, at least to me. The Florida legislature continues to be responsive to homeowners who don't want boats in "their" view. Personally I don't want to spend money I don't have to in that State. Other states (Maryland, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and California come to mind) do silly things but none have gotten so personal (to me) as Florida.

There is no yard stick for these matters. Some people may like "out and back" sailing. Average temperature may mean more to some than others, or be weighted more or less heavily than sailing. We all have to make our own choices. We should not apply our own criteria to the choices other people make.

By way of example, Gary and I look at the same facts, weigh them according to what is important to us, and come to different conclusions. He thinks the Florida Keys can't be beat. You would have to pry me away from the Chesapeake with a crowbar (except for crossing oceans - I love that). Same data, different results. We aren't talking about science here - it is sociology. Gary is still my friend and I respect him and his choices, preferably from my cockpit at anchor in an unnamed creek on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 182 Old 01-25-2016

Avoid Miami like the plague.... Im a naitive...I grew up in Miami..It's gotten to crowded. Its very culturally diverse and thats a sword that cuts both ways... In some respects its great..the food, the music, the culture... and others not so great... The middle to lower Keys are great...Plenty of places to anchor out... good fishing, nice people...gets a bit busy in tourist season.. I live in Ft. Lauderdale now. The sailing in this city is limited to the Ocean as we have no large bays here and dockage can be expensive.

Florida's west coast is really nice...we are considering relocating to the Punta Gorda area. However, Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, and Port Charlotte are all fantastic..the weather is a bit cooler in winter than in South Florida...there's no Gulf Stream to regulate the temperatures.. AND dont forget..Florida has no state income tax.

As I cast off for that very first time,
The "rope" in my hand has now become "line".
And hauling the sails to the top of the mast,
That "rope", now a "halyard" holds strong, taught and fast.
Then sailing in brisk winds full force on a beat.
The sails are trimmed in by that "rope" that's a "sheet".
And now at my anchorage with sails safely stowed,
I trust in that "rope" that now serves as a "rode".
Through all my life I will never lose hope,
Of a reason or time to play with a rope.
post #33 of 182 Old 01-25-2016

To put things in perspective - would you rather be doing this:

Or this:

No question in my mind at all. The top video was me blowing the first day's snow from my driveway, which took three hours. The bottom photo was typical of any day of the week sitting in the cockpit in the shade of the Bimini and enjoying a cold brewski.

All the best,

Gary

post #34 of 182 Old 01-25-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
To put things in perspective - would you rather be doing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef4eHsrNEbE

Or this:

No question in my mind at all. The top video was me blowing the first day's snow from my driveway, which took three hours. The bottom photo was typical of any day of the week sitting in the cockpit in the shade of the Bimini and enjoying a cold brewski.

All the best,

Gary

No doubt in my mind which one... maybe others need 4 more feet of snow before it dawns on them.
post #35 of 182 Old 01-25-2016

Just is if you take all the effort and money to get south aren't there so many places
More beautiful
Less crowded
Less polluted
Less expensive
Less big brother
More exotic and interesting
More pleasant as regards weather and people
Not as flat and unappealing inland
Not arguing changes in latitude changes in attitude but rather the joy of cruising from island to island culture to culture. Every day in low 80s, minimal humidity and constant trades. So nice to get inside the reef and be the only one there if you want to.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #36 of 182 Old 01-25-2016

Outbound, you forgot to name those places within easy reach of the East Coast of the US.

Gary
post #37 of 182 Old 01-25-2016

post #38 of 182 Old 01-25-2016
Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
That about sums up this weeks weather!! Good one Gary
post #39 of 182 Old 01-25-2016

Gary I've always liked Florida ever since reading MacDonald. But Travis McGee is dead and gone. There are still many wonderful places in Florida and could see my self living in the south west coastal section without trouble even as the kinky true Florida disappears along with the other regional quirks that made this country so interesting. I'm still mobile enough and able to cruise internationally. Until I can't FLA is pretty much off the list. Perhaps a stop off in lauderdale and the keys doing the gentlemans way south but for present that's it.

From New England to get to Florida you either do the ditch or go outside against prevailings. I'm airdraft of 64' and draw 6.5' so the inter coastal is not a stress free trip. After Beaufort sc seems much better to just go outside. Even if it is a benign trip its very time consuming as I have not the desire to travel the ICW at night. I hate having the engine on so not a ICW fan. Going outside down the coast can be difficult as well passing some of the most dangerous capes in this country.

With less time, less engine hours, and less stress I can get to BVIs in 8-12 days. Then work down the island chain never seeing an ugly sight and enjoying some of the best sailing there is. Sure the way home is a different story and depending on the hand dealt may see the keys and east coast. Wife wants to see south coast of Cuba. If we do that probably will stop off in Florida.

Gary think Florida is a great sailing state with many different environments please don't take my comments the wrong way. May end up living on a Grand Banks as your neighbor in a few years so want to be friends.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #40 of 182 Old 01-25-2016

I grew up in FL. I've lived elsewhere as well, most recently in the Boston area. I'm back in FL for a reason. You can sail year-round, the cost of living is less than other places with good sailing. The food is great. The Keys are right there.

I never understood the hatred of Florida I've encountered around the country.

I used to live aboard in Biscayne Bay. Good luck finding another place as nice to live aboard in the continental US. Remember: there's no income tax here. The cost of living is even lower than you suspect once you factor that in. Waterfront housing with dockage is cheaper than crappy inland apartment living in Boston.

If enough sane people move here, we might even be able to fix that crazy legislature.

Docking is $10-$12/ft per month in most places, moorings are cheaper. There are still free anchorages in some places.

I never, ever, want to shovel snow again.
guitarguy56 likes this.

1975 Tartan 30 Competition Rig

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in