Stay out of Georgia - Page 13 - SailNet Community
There's This Place... Articles on Destinations for Cruising, by Cruisers, for Cruisers...

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 127 Old 05-15-2013
first sailed january 2008

Re: Stay out of Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
This post is about as useless as sucking farts out of a dead horse.
I liked it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 127 Old 05-06-2014

I can't believe I read all 13 pages of this.
post #123 of 127 Old 01-01-2015

What's worked for me is to offer the cop, thug, or concerned citizen a beer and 99% of the time all was well.
HumanErrer likes this.

post #124 of 127 Old 01-10-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameBoat View Post
Georgia has many beautiful anchorages and historical areas. We anchored off St. Marys - a beautiful town with nice people. Then the state DNR came by and told us that as liveaboards we could only remain in the state for 30 days per calendar year. We felt like trolls living under a bridge somewhere! So we were kicked out of the state. Plan accordingly.
I know it is the same in Fla and probably most other states. Just like a motor vehicle, if the vehicle or boat is not registered in the state it is in, it must be registered or taxed there in some fashion. Fla calls it a "use tax".
A lot of college students get their cars caught by this one if they go to an out of state college.
Prepare to pay anywhere outside your home state if you are leaving your boat for an extended period.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #125 of 127 Old 01-10-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma0 View Post
I don't care for dogs on boats; reckon it's bit cruel to them. Prefer cats or terriers, which are death on rats.
You have rats on your boat ? Tell them a story, they'll leave

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #126 of 127 Old 01-15-2019

Here in Washington you only have so much time before you're required to register your boat here.

Walt Elliott
Kingston WA
Puget Sound
Cal-29
post #127 of 127 Old 01-17-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

"A lot of college students get their cars caught by this one if they go to an out of state college."
At the traditional private campuses, where the cars are parked on campus on private property, I've never heard of that being an issue. Of course in recent times college "residency" as a matter of voting rights and other things has changed in various states, but then you've also got varying state laws that require local registration and taxes after 90 contiguous days, OR 183 days in any calendar year, OR...a rash of other options.
Not surprising that as more students want to have their "residency" at their college address, the states would pursue their taxes as well.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in