Singlehanding a UP 36 - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Singlehanding a UP 36

I have single handed and anchored my boat for 35 years from Maine to Brazil. I don't know or care about anyone else's technique. Mine works for me... and that's all that matters. I share stuff so others can try and see if it works for them.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalerus View Post
Ask 20 different sailors about anchoring and you'll get 20 different answers.
That's complete crap!

Ask 20 sailors and you'll get 30 different answers.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #23 of 24 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n O View Post
I'm curious to hear about anyone's experience singlehanding a Union 36 or similar (Tayana 37?).

I singlehand my Catalina 27 and sail in and out of the slip like it's a dinghy. Piece of cake.
But the Union....well.... that seems a bit tricky to me.

Have you found it easy enough to manage when entering an unfamiliar marina? What about anchoring solo?

Thanks much!
The biggest problem will be the mass and unresponsive helm on a heavy displacement full keel boat. No last minute large changes in direction and possible inability to head up into a strong wind. Approachs in marinas or other close quarters will have to be thought out and executed near perfectly. You just can't turn, stop or start a Union or other boat of that type like you can a 6,000# fin keeler. No that it can't be done but the consequences are much worse if you screw up.

Anchoring is a piece of cake. Pick your spot, drop the hook, and back down to set it. It's weighing the anchor that's the challenge. There is no way you are going to move a heavy displacement boat against more than a light wind, any sea, or current without a windlass and all chain rode. A manual windlass will work but the take up is awfully slow and chains you to the foredeck to haul in any rode. Electric windlasses are almost a necessity to be able to motor up to the anchor when you are single handing. My procedure is to set the autopilot to run up the rode with the engine at idle than go forward and use the windlass to haul in the slack rode. If all goes well, can stow the anchor then go back to the cockpit and set sail. In crowded anchorages, the auto pilot and electric windlass combination is almost a necessity. Remote controls for the windlass and/or autopilot would be nice but have never gotten around to setting them up.
Cap'n O likes this.

post #24 of 24 Old 2 Weeks Ago

You do not usually have to motor up to the anchor if you have all chain and a windlass. You take in chain so that the catanary is pulled into a straight line... the chain will then sag into a catanary and as it does it pulls the boat and you are making way... keeping the chain "taut" ie taking out the catanary slack keeps the boat moving toward the anchor. You do this by observing and using the foot switch at the bow.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in