Singlehanding a UP 36 - SailNet Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 08-02-2019 Thread Starter

Singlehanding a UP 36

I'm curious to hear about anyone's experience singlehanding a Union 36 or similar (Tayana 37?).

I singlehand my Catalina 27 and sail in and out of the slip like it's a dinghy. Piece of cake.
But the Union....well.... that seems a bit tricky to me.

Have you found it easy enough to manage when entering an unfamiliar marina? What about anchoring solo?

Thanks much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-02-2019

Re: Singlehanding a UP 36

My last boat was a Fantasia 35, similar dimensions. My keel was a little less full but the boat weighed a couple thousand pounds more. I single handed the boat routinely. Took her in and out of tight slips no problem. I used a really long midship spring for docking. So basically, put her along side then toss the line around something to spring her in.

Didn't anchor her much, because my preference is for marina slips, but when I did, seemed straight forward enough with a power windlas.

You can check out youtube for handling and docking tips.
Cap'n O likes this.

Last edited by Arcb; 08-02-2019 at 03:58 PM.
post #3 of 28 Old 08-02-2019
Master Mariner

Anchoring doesn't really change with the size of the boat, just the size of the tackle. All the principles are the same. If you are anchoring a lot, as we do, more than 300 days a year, you would probably want all chain and a good quality electric windlass.
Folks will try to steer you toward a manual one siting reliability as the main reason. Funny though, the manual back-up on most good windlasses is just the same as the manual one: a long handle!
The real difference is that an electric windlass should pull your gear in at around 60 feet a minute, and nobody is going to get a manual one to do that. That means that between the time your anchor has broken free and is housed, your boat, which you are single-handing, will be at the mercy of the elements (not under command) a shorter time. Seems a cheap insurance policy to me.
As far as the size of a boat goes, the bigger it is the slower it reacts to your intentions. That means you actually have a little more time to make your maneuvers when docking.
SanderO likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 28 Old 08-02-2019
One of None

Single-handing is more about the logic and set up of the boat than the boat itself.

If 80 or 90% of your anchoring is just 4 mild weather you don't need a super big anchor either,. Use the big one when you're doing overnight in questionable conditions,
Practice practice practice!

My boat used to be on a river mooring and I used to match the current against the fwd momentum of the boat, walk forward and pick up my mooring stick, it was a very casual routine after 10 years!

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #5 of 28 Old 08-02-2019

I bought my Contest 36s new in 1985 with the intention of being able to single hand in all circumstances.

To accomplish this I added a robust below decks AP - Alpha 3000 which has a course dial (no button pushing for 1 or 10 degrees) which is like a tiny helm. The control head is mounted in the forward end of the port coaming where I can reach it while sitting in the protection of the dodger. I good weather I can sit on the coaming and steer by reaching down. Who needs to look at the steering wheel? I rare drive from the helm... only through crowded anchorages/mooring fields... fairway/channels and to and from the gas dock. I avoid slips for many reasons... but I hand steer in and out when I enter a slip... for in water winter storage. AP is and a reliable robust one is mission critical for single handing.

Self tailing winches...

Electric windlass with all chain, foredeck foot swtiches raise and lower, and a control in the cockpit... next to the AP in my case.

Roller furling head sail

All control lines led aft to the cockpit:
reefing
halyards (now I use a milwaukee drill w/ winch bit to raise the main)
topping lift
vang
out haul, down haul

except

spinnaker halyard
pole lift
pole guy

all winches and lines and engine controls, gauges and instruments including AP in easy reach / view from forward end of the cockpit. Forget about dual helms and helm mounted instruments. Behind/at the helm the only thing you can do is steer, and start the engine/throttle... and that's not enough to operate the boat.
deniseO30 likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 08-02-2019 at 07:37 PM.
post #6 of 28 Old 08-02-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post

If 80 or 90% of your anchoring is just 4 mild weather you don't need a super big anchor either, Use the big one when you're doing overnight in questionable conditions,
Practice practice practice!
I'm sorry, but I disagree with this.
I believe that there is a formula for the proper size anchor tackle for a boat. An extra big anchor isn't the answer to not learning how to anchor properly. A properly sized anchor for the chain and boat one is using should hold you in anything less than a tropical storm, day or night. And big squalls can pop up just about anytime, not just when conditions were questionable when you dropped your anchor.
The anchor manufacturers' sites all have a chart which should steer you toward the perfect anchor size for your boat. From that choose a suitable chain and snub line and you should sleep soundly at night or find your boat where you left it if you go for a swim after lunch.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 28 Old 08-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I'm sorry, but I disagree with this.
I believe that there is a formula for the proper size anchor tackle for a boat.
I have used the anchor which came with the boat... 36# CQR for 34 years very successfully. I upgraded the nylon rode to all chain and windlass.
capta likes this.

Last edited by SanderO; 08-02-2019 at 07:44 PM.
post #8 of 28 Old 08-02-2019
One of None

Ummmm, I just used less words CAPTA [emoji854]

BUT, everybody should have at least two anchors I think can all agree on that? And the OP wasn't just about anchoring.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #9 of 28 Old 08-02-2019

If you have a windlass i cant see the benefit from not using youre #1 anchor.
post #10 of 28 Old 08-02-2019

I have several anchors... use the CQR 99.99999% of the time

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in