Where to leave the boat in NE - Page 2 - SailNet Community
US Northeast New York City to Maine

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 62 Old 01-29-2016

Re: Where to leave the boat in NE

Recommend the OP have a dinghy for cruising in New England. There are a lot of great places where a dinghy is a must if you are planning to anchor out at times. Should the OP arrange for a mooring in the Mystic area, a dinghy would be of real benefit. Elsewhere, such as the Napatree anchorage or the anchorage in the Salt Pond at Block Island, anywhere at Cuttyhunk, a dinghy is absolutely necessary. These are only examples: the list is long. Yes, you may have launch service available in places like Newport and Block Island, but you might spend a lot of time waiting for a ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 62 Old 01-29-2016 Thread Starter
SV Skalliwag #141

The reason I asked if there was transportation to/from mooring is so I could leave my dink secured on deck when I leave the boat for weeks at a time. Please no more narratives on why I should have a dink. Just looking for a reasonable place to leave boat and dink secure in between trips north to go cruising.
post #13 of 62 Old 01-29-2016

Barrington is very close to providence. They have discounted rate for transients on weekly basis to best of my knowledge. You would be in a slip with juice and it's very secure. No theft no weather issues. Cove haven brewers. Could drive or take Amtrak. They allow long term parking at Marina. Given its at top of bay and between two hills it's safe even in large winds. With last summers storms ( gusts to well over 60s) we had no issues so you can feel secure that your boat will be undamaged. They bring stuff in drafting >10' so at 6 no issue even at dead low.
Hope to see you. PM if we aren't out cruising we can shoot the breeze
brokesailor likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #14 of 62 Old 01-30-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
The reason I asked if there was transportation to/from mooring is so I could leave my dink secured on deck when I leave the boat for weeks at a time. Please no more narratives on why I should have a dink. Just looking for a reasonable place to leave boat and dink secure in between trips north to go cruising.
Not a mind reader: one could infer you weren't bringing a dinghy. In any case, why not store the dink on land? It should be as safe there as at a mooring if you lock dinghy and motor to a dinghy rack.
brokesailor likes this.
post #15 of 62 Old 01-31-2016

You cold get a mooring in Newport. Cheaper than a slip. Also East Greenwich is close to the airport and train.
post #16 of 62 Old 01-31-2016

A slip at Boston Harbor Shipyard & Marina isn't as cheap as a mooring, but it does offer great access to the Boston Harbor Islands. I kept my boat there for a while.

It's reachable via the MBTA Blue line (Maverick Station). You can literally get on an Amtrack and be there with only two easy transfers. They also offer a free shuttle from Logan Airport.

The marina has really good access to good sailing grounds. You don't have to waste limited sailing time fighting your way out of the inner harbor as you would at some of the other local marinas.

They offer a provisioning service that would have food and such delivered to your boat right before you are ready to leave. They also have a mobile pump-out boat so you don't have to stop at the fuel dock to pump out.

You can keep your boat in the water over the winter or have it hauled out. There's a new-year's regatta for the sailors who don't haul out.

1975 Tartan 30 Competition Rig
post #17 of 62 Old 01-31-2016

I was about to comment that there is a waiting list for seasonal moorings in Newport and again realized, I don't think we really understand the question. I think brokesailor is only looking for transient space for two weeks, to leave their boat and go home to MD. But, what about when they return. Are they looking for a base, or are they moving on?

Renting a one way car via Enterprise, who will often deliver it to the marina, is an option nearly everywhere. If they are looking for a nearby airport, then I think Narragansett Bay is a great option. You can get Uber to the Providence airport from just about anywhere, but especially so, the further north and west you go (East Greenwich, Warwick, Barrington, Bristol). Southwest runs many shuttle flights per day to Baltimore.

It may be helpful to have a better understanding of the plan. Are you coming back to cruise for an extended period? Have you determined where you would like to cruise, or are you just heading back?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #18 of 62 Old 01-31-2016

With his draft Bristol and Barrington are easiest. Bristol has no fuel and is a PITA to drive to but has much better restaurants as well as the museum. Although have a slip in Barrington when alone have left the car in Bristol. Taken bus to Barrington. Gone cruising then left boat on museum mooring until next time I have someone with me. Holding in Bristol is excellent. Particularly to left side ( going in) of channel directly off ferry pier. Newport is a zoo and even with sailing center no chandlery without a car. Also expensive and noisy. Still good anchorage but watch for cables off ft. Adams./a.lewis.
Friend on sistership kept his boat in Warwick. Hated it and moved to Barrington.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 01-31-2016 at 11:12 AM.
post #19 of 62 Old 01-31-2016

[quote=outbound;3307625]With his draft Bristol and Barrington are easiest.

You got my attention, so I had to look it up. Std draft is 5'10", shoal is 4'11". I don't think that will be limiting anywhere around the Bay.

Quote:
Bristol has no fuel and is a PITA to drive to but has much better restaurants as well as the museum.
I agree. Love to overnight there, but I wouldn't want to drive. However, it's reasonably convenient spot for access to the PVD airport. East Greenwich and Warwick are much closer. Brewers has two facilities in EG, but I would explore moorings too.

Quote:
Newport is a zoo and even with sailing center no chandlery without a car. Also expensive and noisy.
All true. However, if one is cruising New England, Newport shouldn't be missed. Uber has made everything easily and affordably accessible. Unfortunately, I think RI is hassling Uber.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #20 of 62 Old 01-31-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
With his draft Bristol and Barrington are easiest. ...Holding in Bristol is excellent. Particularly to left side ( going in) of channel directly off ferry pier. Newport is a zoo and even with sailing center no chandlery without a car. Also expensive and noisy. Still good anchorage but watch for cables off ft. Adams./a.lewis.
Surely, you aren't suggesting the OP anchor his boat for a couple of weeks unattended. Other than the risk, there are likely to be rules regarding unattended anchored boats.

In the transient anchorages in our harbor, you can't leave an anchored boat unattended for more than 24 hours and your stay is limited to 7 days.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in