US Northeast New York City to Maine

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 62 Old 02-02-2016
HANUMAN

Re: Where to leave the boat in NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
Crockers is certainly much better protected from wind, wave, and wakes than the open marinas to the south, but, to Rob's insinuation, you are in a gritty neighborhood. Certainly not snooty!
I have experienced their piss poor customer service, not give a flying ef attitude, unable to even remotely keep to a schedule, lose rigging parts, not hold themselves accountable, and the downright uncanny skill of looking down their nose at you while they lie to your face.

Crockers is one of the few boatyards in New England that has a key card system just to get into the parking lot. They must be biased against the crack addicts and young ladies paying their rehab tuition by providing happy endings for pocket change or a chunk of meth. The safest places on Bank St. are the gay bars (I'm not kidding, at least they have a bit of class and bouncers to keep out the crazies) or the back of a police cruiser.

Great protection from wind and wake, nice docks, with a not so life threatening walk to the train station during business hours. I would not try it at night...OK, I would try it at night, plenty of dive bars for me to duck into, but I would NEVER do it with my girlfriend in tow or recommend that walk to anyone else.
Sal Paradise likes this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT

Last edited by RobGallagher; 02-02-2016 at 01:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 62 Old 02-02-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Port Washington moorings or Dotsons moorings in Stonington. Both close to the train and both have launches. Port Washington also has a great IGA store at the docks and also free moorings for three days

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #43 of 62 Old 02-02-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I have a friend that keeps her 40-ish foot boat on a mooring in Cuttyhunk for the season. She usually visits, and sails every weekend, but it is not unusual for her to leave the vessel untouched for over a month. She has never mentioned a security problem, or concern, to me.
Good to hear.

Is that on a private mooring, or right in the middle of the daily transient field, which is where one would have to be for only two weeks.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #44 of 62 Old 02-02-2016 Thread Starter
SV Skalliwag #141

Chef: port Washington is too far west. Would you leave your boat on a mooring at Stonington for 2 weeks unattended? Looks unprotected.
post #45 of 62 Old 02-02-2016

Stonington is a great little harbor and the whale named launch operators a delight.fuel dock easy on easy off. Restaurants A bit pricey given costs in this upscale town for everything. Surprisingly weird but delightful Mexican one in this archetypical N.E. town. Best are moorings on left side ( coming in) as far out as possible. Draft no issue. The Amtrak runs right over a small bridge at the head of this bay and is noisy. Still, if going south inside L.I. Sound it's one of our stops for the night. Mystic is not. Find it a general pita.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #46 of 62 Old 02-02-2016 Thread Starter
SV Skalliwag #141

I am surprised about all the Crocker bashing! I am kind of warming up to the place.
post #47 of 62 Old 02-02-2016
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
I am surprised about all the Crocker bashing! I am kind of warming up to the place.
Did you price them? They are not inexpensive and the walk to the train Station is no closer than up the Mystic River. Crocker's also has a swing bridge that must open for access.

The Thames River easy to navigate, but there are at least six ferries, the occasional tanker/cargo, lots of recreational boaters, a USCG station, the USCG Academy, and then there is the US Submarine base. Keep your VHF on and follow US Navy or USCG instruction carefully, they do not mess about and will board pointing big shiny things at you if you do not pay attention.

If you want a reasonably priced slip, short walk to a train station, in very scenic area, call Gwenmore Marine in Mystic, CT.

If you want a super cheap mooring within a short car ride to the train station call Maxwells Boatyard.

If you need any local help in the Mystic/Stonington area, send me a PM.

I'll probably take down the Crocker's rant, it was several years ago, but, I hold a grudge when it comes to businesses that do me dirty. For all I know they are under different owners.
Sal Paradise likes this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #48 of 62 Old 02-02-2016

Another positioning thought. If you base on the eastern end of LIS and plan to cruise further East, you must transit open water. Block Island Sound and the entrance to Narragansett Bay can be uncomfortable at times. Certainly crossing the race between Fishers Island and Long Island just be timed right, although ducking inside Fishers Island Sound is always an option. If you base inside the Bay, you have the option to return and visit some of the towns in the Bay itself, until passage weather is more to your liking. Just worth thinking about. Not sure how flexible your schedule will be.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #49 of 62 Old 02-02-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
Did you price them? They are not inexpensive and the walk to the train Station is no closer than up the Mystic River. Crocker's also has a swing bridge that must open for access.

If you want a reasonably priced slip, short walk to a train station, in very scenic area, call Gwenmore Marine in Mystic, CT.

If you want a super cheap mooring within a short car ride to the train station call Maxwells Boatyard.

If you need any local help in the Mystic/Stonington area, send me a PM.

I'll probably take down the Crocker's rant, it was several years ago, but, I hold a grudge when it comes to businesses that do me dirty. For all I know they are under different owners.
You might check the reviews on Active Captain for Crockers. Only a couple for Gwenmor. There aren't enough reviews for a substantive evaluation, but the Crocker reviews might give you pause.

There aren't too many places that haven't had a bad review or two and you can suspect some of the better reviews might have been "planted", but what else can you go by?

I had a bad experience at Gwenmor Marina 20 years ago, but I know folks who keep their boats there and are happy. Were Rob's and my experiences anomalies or something to move past? If these marinas are still in business after many decades under reasonably stable ownership, they should be viable options.
post #50 of 62 Old 02-02-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Another positioning thought. If you base on the eastern end of LIS and plan to cruise further East, you must transit open water. Block Island Sound and the entrance to Narragansett Bay can be uncomfortable at times. Certainly crossing the race between Fishers Island and Long Island just be timed right, although ducking inside Fishers Island Sound is always an option. If you base inside the Bay, you have the option to return and visit some of the towns in the Bay itself, until passage weather is more to your liking. Just worth thinking about. Not sure how flexible your schedule will be.
Agree that sailing east of Fishers Island toward Block Island, Cuttyhunk, Martha's Vineyard will feel like ocean sailing without the blue water, although you are never more than 20nm from safe harbor. But, if the OP has sailed up from the Chesapeake, this area is a piece of cake, as long as you mind the tidal currents and weather forecasts.

BTW, long range forecasts in SE New England coastal waters--compared to the Chesapeake--are to be taken with a grain of salt, so Minne's point about planning for off days is good advice.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in