Casco Bay Lackey Available - SailNet Community
US Northeast New York City to Maine

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-31-2016 Thread Starter

Casco Bay Lackey Available

Howdy to any/all sailors in Casco Bay!

My wife and I have very recently gotten into sailing, but having no boat of our own we are on the lookout for opportunities to get more experience on the water and more exposure to different boats. So if anyone ever wants an unpaid, minimal-experience crew-person or two for a day-sail around Casco Bay, local race, etc., by all means let us know—if we can swing getting out there, we'd love to get the chance.

I'm also curious if folks have any recommendations as far as yacht/sailing clubs, either on the membership front or the "skulk around until somebody asks you to help them with their boat" front. I've only been able to find a couple in the broad area (Portland Yacht Club, Harraseeket Yacht Club, and Centerboard Yacht Club)—it doesn't appear that any of them have "club fleets" for members to use, the way those fancy southern clubs sometimes have, but I'd love to hear from members or former members their thoughts on the clubs, how worthwhile it would be for us to try to pursue involvement there, and how amenable they would be to a random, reasonably-groomed schmoe showing up offering to do the equivalent of unpaid internships for the day.

Cheers,
- Walker

Current Boat: TBD
Currently Crewing: 22' Pearson Ensign (Wednesday Night Fall Racing)
Sailing Area: Casco Bay, Maine, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-31-2016

Re: Casco Bay Lackey Available

The season's getting short. You may want to check out what SailMaine has (Sail Maine | Community Sailing in Portland, Maine |). You can rent, take lessons, etc.

Are you available on weekdays or only weekends?
post #3 of 5 Old 08-31-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1957 View Post
The season's getting short. You may want to check out what SailMaine has (Sail Maine | Community Sailing in Portland, Maine |). You can rent, take lessons, etc.

Are you available on weekdays or only weekends?
Yes, unfortunately we were a bit late in the year getting started on our sailing career. I've taken a look at Sail Maine, and while it seems pretty... homogeneous (J/22s! J/22s everywhere!), it's definitely an option. We're also trying to rent a 26' Pearson from Portland Yacht Services for a day this weekend, but that boat is having a bit of sail work done to it, so we may be out of luck there. We might also look into renting a 22' Pearson Ensign from South Portland Sailing Center (which is where we took our ASA 101 class, and that's the boat the lessons were on).

Had we gotten our interest together earlier in the season, I think we'd both be more flexible on days. These days, though, because of our work (two accountants), we're unfortunately more limited. Weekends are certainly available, and evenings are good candidates. I, at least, could probably squeeze in the occasional weekday, although it'll be difficult the next couple of weeks.

Obviously, if the opportunities aren't there for us this, they aren't there, and that's how it goes. Next season we'll be able to get started a lot earlier, and maybe get our feet into Sail Maine and/or be more timely about other rental options. Heck, if all goes well, maybe we'll even just get a boat of our own! But until then, I'm happy to be "rail meat" (as I've seen folks call it) or menial labor for anyone who needs an extra hand, whether it's sailing or even just doing some quick repair work.

Current Boat: TBD
Currently Crewing: 22' Pearson Ensign (Wednesday Night Fall Racing)
Sailing Area: Casco Bay, Maine, USA

post #4 of 5 Old 08-31-2016
Super Moderator

I agree in that you may want to check out Sail Maine.

I know PYC is pushing a very long waiting list, multiple years. With PYC you would be advised to have a boat before you apply. This is done to minimize the tendency of the club swaying towards a social rather than boating oriented membership.

Harraseekett I also believe has a wait list and also wants boating members as opposed to just social. The boat on an application form at many clubs is usually a key factor.

Can't comment on Centerboard but I think they have a wait too.

All three clubs are volunteer oriented clubs and encourage member involvement etc..

All three clubs have Junior programs and PYC I know has an adult program, with a couple J-24's, but these are coached classes and fill up pretty quickly.

Centerboard, PYC, Harraseekett & GMORA usually have"crew match" parties in the spring. You can also just ask around as boats are always looking for fresh rail meat.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 08-31-2016 at 01:11 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-31-2016

The fall races are coming soon. There are still crew wanted listings in Points East.

https://www.pointseast.com/i-need-crew/

You can try that and maybe get on as crew. I know that some of the boats looking for crew will be in that series.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in