Chesapeake to Maine and back for summer 2017? - SailNet Community
US Northeast New York City to Maine

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-07-2017 Thread Starter

Chesapeake to Maine and back for summer 2017?

Hi fellow sailors,

I'm thinking about plans for 2017 and have been thinking about heading up north to Maine and back. And looking for info from those who might have done something like this before?

I have a 36' Pearson cutter. I will be the primary sailor, but plan to have crew along the way. No open water experience (yet) but years of sailing on the Bay and other places, including overnight runs here and there. Year ago experience sailing from Hong Kong to Japan.

I have owned the boat for 5 years now and a comfortable with knowing her systems

Some of my questions are:
- When to start heading north and when to head back south again?
- How to avoid this becoming an unpleasant cold-weather sailing trip?
- I want to day-trip as much as I can - exploring, basically.
- I will probably want to take a couple of breaks during the summer - docking the boat for a week or so and go off on some side-trips (like maybe back south for some warm beach time!). Where might be places to leave the boat for those kinds of side-trips?

Any advice and help would be great!

And if anyone has an old used copy of Chart 13003 (Cape Sable to Cape Hatteras) that they would be willing to part with (and would be willing to send me - I'll cover costs plus maybe $10...)?

Thanks!

Jballou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-07-2017 Thread Starter

Re: Chesapeake to Maine and back for summer 2017?

Or if anyone knows of any blogs of similar trips taken?
post #3 of 18 Old 01-08-2017

We know a couple who were attempting to make it from Mystic to the St. Lawrence in May, a number of years ago. They were on their way to the Great Lakes and found the weather so cold and wet that they holed up in Marblehead for a couple of weeks before turning around.

You need to understand that the water temperature north of the Cape Cod Canal is noticeable cooler than in southern New England. Even here in southern New England, we don't launch our boat until June.

We did, however, bring our boat from Annapolis to Mystic during the latter part of May, many years ago, at the end of a delivery trip from FL. The weather was OK, but the winds were not cooperative and we motored the whole way, including an overnight passage from Cape May past Montauk.

So, IMHO, you don't want to head up this way before June--preferably late June. You'll enjoy the lower humidity and more reliable winds for a couple of months And return in September, when the sailing is delightful.
The Following User Says Thank You to fallard For This Useful Post:
jballou (01-09-2017)

post #4 of 18 Old 01-08-2017
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballou View Post
Or if anyone knows of any blogs of similar trips taken?
You might find the Log's of Bob and Ann Sherer of (click on) Fleetwind worth reading through. They go back several years and there is a good deal of very useful information on the site.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
The Following User Says Thank You to svHyLyte For This Useful Post:
jballou (01-09-2017)
post #5 of 18 Old 01-09-2017

With a full cockpit enclosure, we are very comfortably sailing in RI waters in May (we launch Apr 1). Nights can be crisp, but tolerable. The water temps, however, are in the 50s. While they warm here to about 70, they stay in the 50s in Maine. That's the attention getter. You must have a liferaft, or you will die of exposure before rescue ever arrives.

On one of our trips to Maine, we were there in late June. It was cold at night, but gorgeous during the day. Our next trip, we went in July.

I can throw out all sorts of random anchorage and town ideas, but a bit more on how much time you have, whether you feel comfortable with an occasional overnight leg, etc, would be helpful. That's a lot of distance, so to coastal hop will take a lot of time. On trips like that, I prefer to knock out the distance at the front end and comfortably hop my way back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
jballou (01-09-2017)
post #6 of 18 Old 01-09-2017

Plan your time to be sailing the coast of Maine to fall within the months of July, August and Mid-September.

You can have a good Maine coastal cruise in a few weeks. Longer is better. A good plan is to sail overnight from Cape Cod (on prevailing summer winds) to Penobscot Bay. In the bay, your options are great for any weather and many routes, east (mostly) and west.

Go downeast with the plan that it will take you twice as long to make up the miles to return west. Don't make the mistake of trying to cover too much of the coast of Maine with your time. Enjoy the sailing and the coast when you're here. You're more likely to be held up by weather on your return trip to Southern New England.

We've often gone from Mid Coast Maine to Cape Cod and the Islands - as far south as Newport - and back home to Maine in two weeks. That's a minimum of time but we've enjoyed it.

The trick with weather here is the spring is slow to start, often cold before July. But the fall is the opposite, lingering well into October. But October is tight for getting back South because tougher weather can be a problem.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
The Following User Says Thank You to TomMaine For This Useful Post:
jballou (01-09-2017)
post #7 of 18 Old 01-09-2017
One of None

Old charts are good for....Wallpaper, pet training...

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #8 of 18 Old 01-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Old charts are good for....Wallpaper, pet training...
......and big picture offshore distance planning. More of an issue, when close to dirt and rocks.
deniseO30 and jballou like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
Plan your time to be sailing the coast of Maine to fall within the months of July, August and Mid-September.

You can have a good Maine coastal cruise in a few weeks. Longer is better. A good plan is to sail overnight from Cape Cod (on prevailing summer winds) to Penobscot Bay. In the bay, your options are great for any weather and many routes, east (mostly) and west.

Go downeast with the plan that it will take you twice as long to make up the miles to return west. Don't make the mistake of trying to cover too much of the coast of Maine with your time. Enjoy the sailing and the coast when you're here. You're more likely to be held up by weather on your return trip to Southern New England.

We've often gone from Mid Coast Maine to Cape Cod and the Islands - as far south as Newport - and back home to Maine in two weeks. That's a minimum of time but we've enjoyed it.

The trick with weather here is the spring is slow to start, often cold before July. But the fall is the opposite, lingering well into October. But October is tight for getting back South because tougher weather can be a problem.
This is right on from my southern New England perspective. Our longest trip to Maine from Mystic was 600 mi (round trip), which took us as far as Damariscove, by Boothbay. If it is still available, you might get a copy of "Maine Coast" by the Tafts.

We've been fortunate that the wind gods were on our side and the southbound legs were not slogs into the predominant SW breeze, but you need to heed Tom's advice and expect to make slower progress When homeward bound--and that would apply virtually all the way to the Chesapeake.

FWIW, we have a canvas cockpit enclosure that we zip in place once at anchor. It is open in the back. It makes a huge difference in keeping the evening dew out of the cockpit and making that space liveable at anchor, as long as you are pointing into the wind. So, if you have a similar arrangement, Just beware of strong tides that could point you downwind.

You need to think about staying warm, in any case. We don't have a cabin heater, but wish we had one Maine waters and for the shoulder seasons in southern New England. Strongly agree with the July - mid September recommendation for this trip-- especially based on air and water temps.
The Following User Says Thank You to fallard For This Useful Post:
jballou (01-09-2017)
post #10 of 18 Old 01-09-2017

Tom's got it right, except that even in early July it can be cold and foggy in Maine. Tom lives there and is hardier than us southerners. IMHO for the best chance at great weather, get to Maine near the end of July, and hang until early September, then run for the hills before it starts snowing! Water temps are the issue if you go too soon. Even if it's 90 inland, wind over water in the 50's and even low 60's makes a big difference.

Also, IMHO for about 3, and if your lucky 6 weeks every year, Maine is the finest place to sail on the planet.

Down in the "deep south" (or probably I should say west) in my neighborhood, we put the sailboat in the water in early May. To be honest, we get a few beautiful sailing days in May, but on the cape the weather really gets consistent about mid June (don't tell the chamber of commerce I leaked this data). On the other end, life is great for sailing here till about Nov 1, as the water temp usually holds up, and the tourist disappear (the chamber would like you to know this; however, and hang around and spend money).

Have a great trip, let us know when in neighborhood.
The Following User Says Thank You to capecodda For This Useful Post:
jballou (01-09-2017)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in