Easten CT seasonal mooring/slip - Page 3 - SailNet Community
US Northeast New York City to Maine

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 Old 02-09-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.
We love visiting Mystic/Noank both by car and by boat so it will be very exciting to call the area home. Can't wait to change the home port on our transom!

We have two young children and our favorite spot is Napatree/Watch Hill. Being able to day sail there will be a whole new experience.

Before kids and on our old boat, my wife and I sailed to the vineyard on a two-week cruise. I think we might try to make it out there this summer.

Thanks again everyone and see you out there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 Old 02-09-2018
S/V Caper Nonsuch 36

Re: Easten CT seasonal mooring/slip

I used to slip my boat at Maxwell's and also Ft. Rachel before they were bought out. Great places to keep a boat with easy access to some of the best sailing grounds in NE. Currently keep my boat on a mooring at The Thames Yacht Club, a friendly, low key club on the Thames river (Train station close by). I do this as a big cost savings and 1 less bridge and traffic to deal with getting to Mystic, as well as quick access to the sound. Drawback is that it can be rolly at times with all the ferry traffic, but way more positives than negatives.
Enjoy and hope to see you on the water this season.
post #23 of 24 Old 02-10-2018

Re: Easten CT seasonal mooring/slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrod View Post
I used to slip my boat at Maxwell's and also Ft. Rachel before they were bought out. Great places to keep a boat with easy access to some of the best sailing grounds in NE. Currently keep my boat on a mooring at The Thames Yacht Club, a friendly, low key club on the Thames river (Train station close by). I do this as a big cost savings and 1 less bridge and traffic to deal with getting to Mystic, as well as quick access to the sound. Drawback is that it can be rolly at times with all the ferry traffic, but way more positives than negatives.
Enjoy and hope to see you on the water this season.
Agree that making it east to New London for a homeport is an improvement over points west, but the traffic between New London and Mystic is not an issue. The New York to/from Cape Cod crowd ties up Rt 95 northbound on after noon on Friday and afternoon on Sunday southbound, but the congestion generally doesnt extend east past Waterford. The OP probably knows that the direct route from exit 89 to/from Noank avoids the downtown Mystic traffic, too.

post #24 of 24 Old 02-10-2018 Thread Starter

Agreed. In our experience the I-95 problem spots are Branford to Westbrook and again Old Lyme to Waterford. There is however construction right now on the Gold Star Bridge...
I think exit 88 is an even better route!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in