Easten CT seasonal mooring/slip - SailNet Community
US Northeast New York City to Maine

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 01-30-2018 Thread Starter

Easten CT seasonal mooring/slip

We are considering relocating to the New London/Mystic/Stonington area for this season. I've called just about every marina in the area and found a few that have space.
I'm waiting for a few call backs and at least one place that still has contracts out.

What I'm looking for opinions on is the seemingly exposed positions of:
A mooring at Spicer's in Noank
A slip at Burr's in New London

Any first hand experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-30-2018

Re: Easten CT seasonal mooring/slip

Why not a mooring in Stonnington?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #3 of 24 Old 01-30-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Why not a mooring in Stonnington?
Dodson's is one of the places I've been waiting to hear back from.
It will be a strong contender if a mooring is available.

post #4 of 24 Old 01-30-2018

Noank shipyard, maxwells, both right at the mouth of the mystic river can be a little bumpy when the weather picks up, noank is a great little town , quiet with the exception of the cars going to Abbottís lobsters, not much in the way of tourists , any of the marinas between the railroad bridge and the drawbridge in mystic would be a great pick for protection from weather. Never experienced spicers mooring field but the staff has always been helpful when I swung in for something, and they have the seahorse restaurant... Depends on what you want / need for amenities , some having hot water in the shower is a reason to celebrate , while others have a heated pool and gas grills for your use .. whatís your desires , whatís the draft of your boat ?
post #5 of 24 Old 01-30-2018 Thread Starter

We are pretty familiar with the area. Just haven't been there in foul weather.
We visit at least once a year by water and nearly once a month by car. We have a membership at the seaport and two young kids.

If Noank Shipyard gets bumpy, Spicer's moorings must be even a little more so.
Noank shipyard has no moorings available and their slip rate is a little steep for us.
Noank Village Boatyard was a similar story.
Maxwell's I'm waiting to hear back from. (I'll be making follow-up calls tomorrow).
Mason's Island Marina I'm waiting on.
Further up river is either full or too expensive.

Our main goal is a safe and comfortable mooring or slip and clean restrooms and showers. Others things are negotiable.

We have been keeping the boat in Branford at Dutch Wharf, but are looking to put our favorite places in reach for weekends (watch hill and block island) and explore further east (cuttyhunk and the vineyard) on our summer cruise.

New London is obviously a more affordable option, but not quite as scenic, I worry a little about it being a little bumpy, and certainly no dinghy rides up the mystic river...
post #6 of 24 Old 01-30-2018

Iíve been at maxwells for six seasons , Iíve only had a few nights where it was overly crappy on the mooring ( in full disclosure if I see itís gonna be a lousy weekend Iíll stay home and test my napping skills on the couch) . They do a great job maintaining the moorings , They put up a new building a few years ago and so the showers/bathrooms are really nice now . He caters to the race crowd so Wednesday nights the parking lot looks like a intersection in rush hour Rome,
But thereís a great cast of characters that are there , friendly, non pretentious down to earth people. No launch service but put some wheels on the dinghy and pull her up the ramp and store on land . They have lockers for rent too which is a really nice feature. Hope to see you there !
The Following User Says Thank You to dinosdad For This Useful Post:
S/V Sugar Magnolia (01-31-2018)
post #7 of 24 Old 01-30-2018

I'm sure it's not cheap, but I have always been impressed with Brewers Pilots Point Marine in Westbrook.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #8 of 24 Old 01-30-2018 Thread Starter

Dinosdad,
Thanks for the comments on Maxwell's.
What is your tropical storm plan? Our slip in Branford was up the river and feels incredibly safe. Our remaining concern about moving east has been what would we do if there was a tropical storm warning or worse? We intend to continue to winter on the Housatonic River close to our home, but that will be more than a days sailing away. Henry told me that the moorings are a little exposed in easterly winds and that they typically recommend owners vacate at tropical storm warnings.
At the moment we're thinking our plan would have to be to run for our winter home and consider the season done if we get a serious threat.
post #9 of 24 Old 01-30-2018

Iíve only moved the boat for storm sandy, and I had maxwells pull the boat( the storm wasnít even a concern the weekend before , and by midweek it was coming , Wes and his crew pulled all the boats by Saturday afternoon , and as bad as the storm was , only one boat suffered damage , a trimaran that the wind lifted off the stands . ) so with a imminent storm coming I would head up the ct river to where I hauled for the winter ( Portland ) if time was a factor I wouldnít hesitate to have it pulled right at maxwells,
post #10 of 24 Old 01-31-2018

It's been too long (30-35 years) for me to make a recommendation. My family had a boat at Seaport Marine, all the way up the river near town. It was a working boatyard at the time, but we knew a bunch of people there. No idea what it's like now.

The point of me offering the experience is how far the ride was to get to/from open water. I was young and probably impatient, but it sure felt like a long, long way. However, it was essentially dead flat calm, which I've grown to think should be a requirement, if you're paying for a slip. I expect some chop on a mooring, but the boat is usually facing into it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in