Santa Barbara, Ventura or Oxnard Marinas? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 06-27-2019

Re: Santa Barbara, Ventura or Oxnard Marinas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalerus View Post
CHANNEL ISLANDS HARBOR
Is the best harbor in the world.
I am sure the people of Monaco or some other snooty Euro yacht location would have something to say about your opinion.

When I could not afford SB prices it was CI Harbor where I joined a sailing club. 22 foot boats were free during the week. It was an hour + drive but worth it, I sailed my butt off for I think $40/month. As I remember it, it was kind of dead as far as facilities and amenities but was perfect for me back then, I am sure things have changed. If I was to have a boat on the coast that I wanted to spend a few months a year on Ventura or Oxnard would be on my short list. You get the Socal weather without the Socal prices and not all the Socal hype.

If I wanted more of a Monaco vibe with Monaco prices SB would be the place. If I was to live year around onboard SB would be high on my list. As I told my buddy that lives there, between Flood and Fire Season it is a really pretty place to be.
Zoya and Whalerus like this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to jephotog For This Useful Post:
Zoya (06-27-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 06-27-2019 Thread Starter
Whitewater to Seawater

And another question.... looking at the great climate, low humidity and cool nights, I supposed AIr Con is not really needed on boats in that area?
post #13 of 17 Old 06-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
And another question.... looking at the great climate, low humidity and cool nights, I supposed AIr Con is not really needed on boats in that area?
On a rare occasion, it might get warm during the day like into the 80s or even 90s on the coast. It will make up for this inconvenience by also getting into the 80s in January when your friends back home are shoveling their car out of the recent blizzard.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 17 Old 06-28-2019

Don't bother. Yes we have 10 or 11 months of beautiful sailing weather but Don't come it's just you wouldn't like it. it's true the islands are a short three for our day Sail Away but they are uninhabited there is no day life there is no nightlife it's just quiet time you would hate it. Okay it's less expensive than Santa Barbara but still Marina Del Rey that's where you want to go that's where the action's at. When you anchor out all you hear are the whales breaching the seals barking and you end up having fresh fish for dinner like I said it's terrible please go south you'll like it much more I promise.
Brad 🙂
Zoya likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bradhamlet For This Useful Post:
Zoya (06-30-2019)
post #15 of 17 Old 06-30-2019

A/C is not necessary. If you have shade and a fan with good ventilation, that's all you need. Anacapa is only 15 miles away? I'm going to start looking at slips in CI!
Edit- I just looked at the commute to San Fernando Valley and..... Nope.

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR

Last edited by rbrasi; 06-30-2019 at 11:00 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rbrasi For This Useful Post:
Zoya (06-30-2019)
post #16 of 17 Old 06-30-2019 Thread Starter
Whitewater to Seawater

Santa Barbara, Ventura or Oxnard Marinas?

So no one said anything about Ventura... Is Oxnard definitely the better choice between the two? Now, looking at prevailing winds which seem to be west, south-west. Setting off from Oxnard/Ventura is probably beating all the way there and dead run on the way back which with low winds and sea swells must somewhat get boring. Sailing to the islands from Santa Barbara would likely put you on a more pleasing beach reach point both ways.. Am I mistaken?
jephotog likes this.

Last edited by Zoya; 06-30-2019 at 10:04 PM.
post #17 of 17 Old 06-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalerus View Post
Best of all it's the closest harbor to the islands, they can be seen from the beach. The wind there is calm until late morning so usually get a late start, if you want to sail all the way and drop the hook before dark.
Anacapa Island is only fifteen miles away.
Without checking logistics and relying on ancient information in my faulty memory. Ventura/Oxnard is likely a windward beat to Santa Cruz. It is a reach from Santa Barbara. Anacapa has no good anchorages for overnight.

If your goal is to cruise to the Northern Channel Islands often and easily, Santa Barbara is the best location. If you want cheaper easier to obtain slips in a more laid back town, Ventura County Harbors are your go-to choices.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
The Following User Says Thank You to jephotog For This Useful Post:
Zoya (07-02-2019)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in