SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Vendors (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/vendors/)
-   -   Sail Repair (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/vendors/325556-sail-repair.html)

smitrock63 09-04-2018 04:32 PM

Sail Repair

O'Day 30. 150 Geneoa. My sail has a couple 6 inch tears in it and kind of worn where she's crossed the safety rails back and forth. Where's a good place close to southern illinois to have this repaired?

Thanks,

Minnewaska 09-05-2018 07:45 AM

Re: Sail Repair

More than one tear and other notable chafe? Sounds like a repair could be good money being thrown away. Sure you're not ready for a new sail?

smitrock63 09-05-2018 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051550682)
More than one tear and other notable chafe? Sounds like a repair could be good money being thrown away. Sure you're not ready for a new sail?

I've got a 170 and 180 in addition to 2 jibs, so, I'm not sure if I want to spend the money on a new one; I hear they are expensive. Besides, I'm planning on selling upwards within a year or two.

pdqaltair 09-05-2018 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitrock63 (Post 2051550730)
I've got a 170 and 180 in addition to 2 jibs, so, I'm not sure if I want to spend the money on a new one; I hear they are expensive. Besides, I'm planning on selling upwards within a year or two.

That's not a tear, that is worn stitching. Get a palm and needle, line up the holes, and restitch a least 6 inches on both sides of the failure. #4 twine should be about right. Or a sailmaker can tended to it for a few hundred for everything probably. Just maintenance.

Minnewaska 09-05-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdqaltair (Post 2051550746)
That's not a tear, that is worn stitching. Get a palm and needle, line up the holes, and restitch a least 6 inches on both sides of the failure. #4 twine should be about right. Or a sailmaker can tended to it for a few hundred for everything probably. Just maintenance.

How do we know that? It just says two 6 inch tears with chafing on the foot. If it as you say, I agree, but I would have thought it would described as pulled stitching. I got the impression these tears were internal and the chafing was additional.

jblumhorst 09-05-2018 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitrock63 (Post 2051550560)
O'Day 30. 150 Geneoa. My sail has a couple 6 inch tears in it and kind of worn where she's crossed the safety rails back and forth. Where's a good place close to southern illinois to have this repaired?

Thanks,

Previous posters have pointed out the difference between broken stitching and tears in the dacron sail cloth.

Am awning shop will have machines that can stitch the seams for you. A sailmaker would be better, but it will cost money to ship the sail if there's no sailmaker near you.

If the cloth is torn in several places other than seams, the sail probably isn't worth spending much money to repair. The cloth is alreday badly weakened.

If you want to patch a tear so you can use the sail until such time as you can replace the sail, put on a patch. Get some dacron sailcloth of the same weight from Sailrite. You can sew or glue a patch over the damaged cloth. Make sure you align the "fill" threads parallel to the leach. Use 5200 to glue it. It will make an ugly but serviceable repair.

bristol299bob 09-05-2018 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitrock63 (Post 2051550730)

I've used this for temporary repairs, until I could find the time to bring it to a sailmaker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FWIW, on occasion, I've had it in place for a year or so and it held up fine. It's an easy, inexpensive and decent looking repair.