Sail Repair - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bristol299bob

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-04-2018 Thread Starter

Sail Repair

O'Day 30. 150 Geneoa. My sail has a couple 6 inch tears in it and kind of worn where she's crossed the safety rails back and forth. Where's a good place close to southern illinois to have this repaired?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-05-2018

Re: Sail Repair

More than one tear and other notable chafe? Sounds like a repair could be good money being thrown away. Sure you're not ready for a new sail?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-05-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
More than one tear and other notable chafe? Sounds like a repair could be good money being thrown away. Sure you're not ready for a new sail?
I've got a 170 and 180 in addition to 2 jibs, so, I'm not sure if I want to spend the money on a new one; I hear they are expensive. Besides, I'm planning on selling upwards within a year or two.
Attached Thumbnails
sail.jpg  

post #4 of 7 Old 09-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitrock63 View Post
I've got a 170 and 180 in addition to 2 jibs, so, I'm not sure if I want to spend the money on a new one; I hear they are expensive. Besides, I'm planning on selling upwards within a year or two.

That's not a tear, that is worn stitching. Get a palm and needle, line up the holes, and restitch a least 6 inches on both sides of the failure. #4 twine should be about right. Or a sailmaker can tended to it for a few hundred for everything probably. Just maintenance.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #5 of 7 Old 09-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
That's not a tear, that is worn stitching. Get a palm and needle, line up the holes, and restitch a least 6 inches on both sides of the failure. #4 twine should be about right. Or a sailmaker can tended to it for a few hundred for everything probably. Just maintenance.
How do we know that? It just says two 6 inch tears with chafing on the foot. If it as you say, I agree, but I would have thought it would described as pulled stitching. I got the impression these tears were internal and the chafing was additional.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-05-2018
Sailnet Vendor

Dock

Quote:
O'Day 30. 150 Geneoa. My sail has a couple 6 inch tears in it and kind of worn where she's crossed the safety rails back and forth. Where's a good place close to southern illinois to have this repaired?

Thanks,
Previous posters have pointed out the difference between broken stitching and tears in the dacron sail cloth.

Am awning shop will have machines that can stitch the seams for you. A sailmaker would be better, but it will cost money to ship the sail if there's no sailmaker near you.

If the cloth is torn in several places other than seams, the sail probably isn't worth spending much money to repair. The cloth is alreday badly weakened.

If you want to patch a tear so you can use the sail until such time as you can replace the sail, put on a patch. Get some dacron sailcloth of the same weight from Sailrite. You can sew or glue a patch over the damaged cloth. Make sure you align the "fill" threads parallel to the leach. Use 5200 to glue it. It will make an ugly but serviceable repair.

Judy B
San Francisco Bay and Delta
F24 Trimaran
post #7 of 7 Old 09-05-2018

Quote:
I've used this for temporary repairs, until I could find the time to bring it to a sailmaker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FWIW, on occasion, I've had it in place for a year or so and it held up fine. It's an easy, inexpensive and decent looking repair.
smitrock63 likes this.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bristol299bob For This Useful Post:
flyingriki (09-06-2018), smitrock63 (10-16-2018)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in