Yacht Insurance - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-16-2019 Thread Starter

Yacht Insurance

Hi guys, I've had a good experience with an insurance company recently (shock horror!). After a lot of struggle, I found the best way to buy yacht insurance is to not speak to anyone in the process. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXInsurance.com were splendid. Has anyone else had a good experience with them, any stories to tell?

Link to commercial account removed: Inadequate number post count to permit posting a link to commercial site. Jeff_H SailNet Moderator

Last edited by Jeff_H; 05-16-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-16-2019

Re: Yacht Insurance

Iím highly suspicious of buying insurance online. The average consumer has no ability to understand the actual coverages being offered. They usually see the hull value, liability and deductibles and thatís it.

I just asked my agent a question about how a marina liability situation would work, given a waiver of subrogation in the lease. My policy allows for the waiver, but itís a knotty one that I wonít delve into here. Suffice it to say that my policy would not pay certain claims, if this isnít done right. Heís been doing this for years and had to research it. Not likely most clients would think to ask, let alone understand what they bought.

Not saying these folks are bad, only that self service requires self awareness. There is a little lizard in the US (that website looks European) that sells lower premiums on TV, but says nothing about the subtle differences in events that are actually covered, or not covered, by the reported policy limit.

Indeed most consumers by on price alone. They just donít know they bought less coverage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-16-2019

Dock
Re: Yacht Insurance

Ha! Good points!

I have the good fortune on not really needing to depend on the insurance. That is to say total loss of the boat would be tragic and emotionally painful, I never considered it an investment that I could dare hope to break even on. The marina requires insurance, so I have it, and it's nice to have someone to point the state at if they have to clean up a wreck.

Also, my slip is at an Air Force base, where rental the agreement is written in crayon. I doubt they could find their copy if they tried.

Obviously, my outlook on the topic will change when I step up to my "sail away" boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in