Ocean baby rescue underway off Mexico - Page 25 - SailNet Community
 546Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #241 of 620 Old 04-18-2014

Re: Ocean baby rescue underway off Mexico

No reason in general not to have kids of all ages sailing. In THIS case they seemed a bit overwhelmed.
captain jack likes this.

Joe Della Barba
Coquina
C&C 35 MK I

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 620 Old 04-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
....with a submarine that can't quite get to the seabed whilst the Chinese Navy and airforce has had quicker satellite photos, ships in the right places and actually heard pings...

The US Navy is not about to reveal our capabilities to the world. This plane could have been brought down just for that purpose. Mostly Chinese aboard and we are told all passengers have been vetted (this from the country that brings us a $50 Rolex and toothpaste colored with line striping paint). I for 1 do not believe a word of it.
1-transponders turned off
2-knowledge of the ACARS system
3-radar avoidance
4-the proper altitude to snuff the passengers
5-black boxes 450 miles apart dropped from a plane and 1 got dragged along somehow(maybe parachute got hung up)
6-an island west of Malaysia with a runway that continues in a straight line unto a road that I could not find on google maps again on March 14
7-try to find a pilot who thinks this plane went into the sea, I know a few and they know a lot most think it landed.
captain jack likes this.
post #243 of 620 Old 04-18-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulli View Post
The US Navy is not about to reveal our capabilities to the world. This plane could have been brought down just for that purpose. Mostly Chinese aboard and we are told all passengers have been vetted (this from the country that brings us a $50 Rolex and toothpaste colored with line striping paint). I for 1 do not believe a word of it.
1-transponders turned off
2-knowledge of the ACARS system
3-radar avoidance
4-the proper altitude to snuff the passengers
5-black boxes 450 miles apart dropped from a plane and 1 got dragged along somehow(maybe parachute got hung up)
6-an island west of Malaysia with a runway that continues in a straight line unto a road that I could not find on google maps again on March 14
7-try to find a pilot who thinks this plane went into the sea, I know a few and they know a lot most think it landed.
And all the Apollo moon landings were actually faked with video from a sound stage in Burbank, CA!!!!!

Get real.

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." --- E.B. White

post #244 of 620 Old 04-18-2014

For me it is the dog that didn't bark.

Eric has always been quick to post opinions on several forums.

They have been back for some time, the baby is stable. The Kaufman's have not forgotten the internet exists.

If the detractors here were off-base, 30 minutes of time and a quick post here could straighten them all out.

You have the right to plead the fifth, but sometimes it tells the story by itself.

They had not sailed under the conditions one would expect on that passage, and jumped off for 3500 miles of it. This would be akin to never having swam more than 100 feet, and taking off to swim the English Channel. The coast from SD to Mexico, and sailing in the Baja are nothing like the milk run. Not only is their duration (600/3500 mi) different, but the type of sailing, equipment, and stresses on boat and crew are totally different.

Comparing the previously known health issues in this case with ones which occur suddenly like heart attack and appendicitis is apples and oranges. Whether good or bad Medical advice was received, it would be ill advised to leave with anything less than a 100% healthy toddler aboard, given the length of the passage. Any illness will be compounded by seasickness (predictable) and the loss of electrolytes.

Hate to use Miranda twice, but anything you blog can and will be used against you.

Eric had prolific posting habits and opinions on everything, and his silence is deafening.

Had he not been on that side of so many threads, this might be unfair, but....

There are many times when the smartest thing to do on a passage is to heave-to and allow a front to pass, mainly for the comfort of the crew and to save the boat. A couple days hove to on the proper tack could even make progress south while you relaxed, rested, and mended.

I will have to back him up on the fuel issue. Even twice the fuel would not have taken his heavy boat back to Mexico, and counting on an engine to get you to safety in a sailboat is a farce. Having the proper sails and equipment to sail the boat to safety under any conditions is far more reasonable. Many would think it a requirement for such a passage.

I am not calling anyone out, nor demanding he explain, merely pointing out that his silence on the matter is out of place for him. Early on, the supporters on CF kept saying "wait to hear the whole story from him", but it has not materialized. We would all love to hear it from the source. The speculation would come to an immediate halt.

'
post #245 of 620 Old 04-18-2014
Closet Powerboater

You must have missed the part where he DID post to CF the day after he got back. He said he will tell all once the 15 minutes of fame dies down. I'll paste it below.

Frankly I think it's smart to be "mum" for a while until the sheeple watching the boob-toob get distracted by something else shiny. Frankly, the forums will likely tear him up with monday morning quarterbacking (that is our custom right?) so why invite the whole world to do it too?

MedSailor

Link to his post at CF POST #979

Hey guys, we're all fine and back in San Diego.

The media has been all over us and honestly the facts are so distorted at this point I don't even know where to start. In the few hours we've been back in town the media has been all over us, right up to the front door of our doctor's office when we were getting Lyra checked out.

The rescuers (the 129th California Air National Guard and the USS Vandegrift) were amazing; I've never met a better group of professionals.

I totally want to give you guys all the details but I need the media storm to die down. I've been so amazed at the support that the sailing community has offered us. There was a sailboat that came by the USS Vandegrift on our way into San Diego Harbor that had Rebel Heart banners streaming off of it.

I know some people with disagree with whatever actions I took, but for those of you who support me I want you to know that you've warmed my heart. This entire thing has humbled me and I feel an immense sense of gratitude towards everyone involved.

I promise I'll come back with all the details, but we need to get away from the cameras and lose our fifteen minutes of fame first.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
post #246 of 620 Old 04-18-2014

A post with no info. We already knew they were safe and the toddler was OK.

My point exactly.

The two forums in question are his best shot at a support group for back up opinions and expertise. He will find more allies here than anywhere else. A simple explanation here would provide a lot of immediate allies.

Sorry. If I stand by my decisions, I stand by them in the middle of a s*&tstorm. Nothing to gain by waiting other than to hope everyone just forgets about it, and you never have to explain. That is, you only hide when you have something you feel like hiding.

We are sailors here. We have all made mistakes, nearly all of us big ones at one point or another. The ocean will provide any of us with all of the opportunity we need to make big mistakes. Even (or even especially) the very best share them, to help others not make them. That is the very purpose of this forum as I would understand it.

If a young person aboard a sailing vessel can be saved in the future by any such information, wouldn't it be useful? With various reports differing, we can only learn what might be useful from the participants themselves.

I would be the first to back their decision to take their young children cruising. The only thing that has ever been shown to effectively raise the practical intelligence of a child is travel and diversity. It offers challenges and perspectives that are not available in the suburban picket fence neighborhood. I am all for it, danger and all.

It won't be any more right or wrong a month from now than it is today.

'
MedSailor and MarkofSeaLife like this.
post #247 of 620 Old 04-18-2014

This family owes no one on the internet an explanation. The fact that they are willing, but intend to wait out the media storm, further demonstrates their savvy. Good for them.
MedSailor and captain jack like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
UPHILL (04-18-2014)
post #248 of 620 Old 04-18-2014

The last article in the "media storm" was a week ago. When will we know it's over and safe to go outside?

'
post #249 of 620 Old 04-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowtide View Post
I am not calling anyone out, nor demanding he explain, merely pointing out that his silence on the matter is out of place for him. Early on, the supporters on CF kept saying "wait to hear the whole story from him", but it has not materialized. We would all love to hear it from the source. The speculation would come to an immediate halt.

'
Well, I sure as hell wouldn't bet any money on that last bit :-)

Certainly, it would be 'interesting' to hear more details, but I think some might be placing too much faith in the presumed validity, or even veracity, of such an after-action report... For instance, if the legendary Bernard Moitessier were alive and blogging today, most of us would probably be inclined to accept as truthful his first-hand account of a recent event, no?

I recently finished Herb McCormick's excellent book about the Pardeys, AS LONG AS IT'S FUN (highly recommended, btw, a terrific read) One of the juicier anecdotes Herb relates has to do with the loss of JOSHUA on the beach in Cabo during the infamous storm in '82...

Contrary to Moitessier's detailed and dramatic account published in CRUISING WORLD of the events that transpired that night, he was actually not aboard JOSHUA at the time, but rather in a hotel in town, smoking dope with the actor Klaus Kinski...

So, as regards what comes from the horse's mouth being the Truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, well...

Just sayin'... :-)

BERNARD MOITESSIER: What Really Happened to Joshua | Sailfeed

chall03 likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 04-19-2014 at 08:02 AM.
post #250 of 620 Old 05-10-2014

I still have my Media Storm anchors set and my slickers on, but haven't felt a breath of wind from the media storm in a month. Almost like it has passed!

'
zeehag likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in