Ocean baby rescue underway off Mexico - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 546Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 620 Old 04-06-2014

Re: Ocean baby rescue underway off Mexico

Here's what I have to say to all the people who will be criticizing. Let he whom is without sin cast the first stone. have you ever put a kid in a car without proper seat belt then you are an irresponsible parent. have you ever let a kid under 18 light the fire works then you are an irresponsible parent. and on and on. Everyone has done things that could have ended up in damage being done or someone being hurt. As far as I'm concerned the criticizers are laughable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 620 Old 04-06-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog8It View Post
If one was to follow this analogy, then no one living in remote areas (say half of Alaska) should even have kids. If this happened on land, it would not even make the front page news. Facts and reality check do not appear to be the forte of most news organizations today.
Very few places in the Northern Hemisphere, even most of Alaska, are so remote that emergency medical care is more than 12 (or, at most, 24) hours away; a boat well off-shore being one huge exception. Perhaps you either don't have kids, or if you do you (and they) are lucky enough that you haven't seen just how fast an infant/toddler can develop a life-threatening illness. Believe me, witnessing such is no fun; even with and ER just a short car ride away. I can't imagine waiting days for help to arrive while I watched any small child, particularly my own child, getting closer to death with every passing moment.

If any of you think that such a risk is worth not having to postpone the adventure for a few years, fine. But how can an infant or toddler make an informed decision about such risks?
miatapaul likes this.

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." --- E.B. White
post #23 of 620 Old 04-07-2014
Closet Powerboater

As someone who is a medical provider, and has spent half his medical career so far in Emergency Medicine or Urgent Medicine, I take issue with the premise that a healthy one year old child must be kept near a medical facility at all times because a life threatening illness may develop at any time.

Now if you're in your 7th or 8th decade of life and have already had 2 heart attacks, then yes, by all means, do the tax payer a favor and live across the street from Mass General. Regular, healthy, immunized one year olds? They're not all dropping like flies and being saved by the ambulances (I used to run one of those too) all the time.

Yes, kids go from well to sick quicker than adults, but usually they go right back to well faster than grown ups. My 2 year old had a fever of 103.5 a couple weeks ago and very quickly looked really bad. An hour later, he looked great. A LOT of what we do in urgent care is pat worried parents on the head, observe the kid for an hour or to, and let them go home having done pretty much nothing at all. Croup, for example, can be REALLY scary to watch, but usually the kids get through it without aggressive intervention.

It appears this poor 1 year old tyke got salmonella. That's perhaps more of a hazard out at sea, but it's a hazard that potentially exists in every kitchen and McDonald's as well. From what the news is saying, the kid was "in stable condition" as soon as the frogs got there. It's entirely plausible that the kid maybe would have been fine without medical care. We may never know. Even if the kid was saved by the medical team, it's lightning strike odds that it happened when they were as far as they could possibly be from help. Wouldn't have made news at all if they were in Cabo and wandered down to the local doctor's office and got some Cipro. In fact, the kid was probably only going to be away from potential medical help for a few weeks total during an entire circumnavigation.

Healthy kids just don't need to be kept near a hospital at all times unless there is a known underlying illness.

MedSailor
chall03, Melrna, Slayer and 22 others like this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 04-07-2014 at 12:22 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MedSailor For This Useful Post:
captain jack (04-13-2014), ravinracin (04-07-2014), tdlpps (04-10-2014)

post #24 of 620 Old 04-07-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
As someone who is a medical provider, and has spent half his medical career so far in Emergency Medicine or Urgent Medicine, I take issue with the premise that a healthy one year old child must be kept near a medical facility at all times because a life threatening illness may develop at any time....
A someone who watched an otherwise healthy 4-year-old go from having a run-of-the-mill cold to pneumonia, complete with 106˚ fever, overnight I can tell you that I would never take a little kid off-shore, NEVER.

Quote:
...Now if you're in your 7th or 8th decade of life and have already had 2 heart attacks, then yes, by all means, do the tax payer a favor and live across the street from Mass General. ...
If a septuagenarian wants to attempt re-creating Robin Knox-Johnson's Golden Globe Race I would say, "more power to you!" (particularly if that septuagenarian were Sir Robin himself). Any adult making such a decision is fine with me. But that isn't the case here, is it? Risking a little kid's life by taking them off-shore sailing, simply because you can wait a few years, is kinda like not vaccinating them against measles or mumps. If an adults want to make informed decisions that risks their own lives, fine. But this thread involves making such a decision that risks the life of a little kid. Not the same thing at all.

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." --- E.B. White
post #25 of 620 Old 04-07-2014

I am really sick of hearing others here and on Rebel Heart's blog criticizing the parents right to take their child off shore. Such strong, close-minded, uniformed zealots ranting and attacking these very loving parents is despicable! This is like mob mentality. Most have no idea what cruising, sailing or even sailboats are like and most have no idea of just how many kids are out there with their parents. All this talk about " call CPS, make them pay", is such holier than thou crap that is just sickens me. I know people like you. Let us hope your foul, nasty ranting's come back and bite you. Leave these people alone!
post #26 of 620 Old 04-07-2014
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin'_Tain View Post
A someone who watched an otherwise healthy 4-year-old go from having a run-of-the-mill cold to pneumonia, complete with 106˚ fever, overnight I can tell you that I would never take a little kid off-shore, NEVER.
Taking all the emotive, anecdotal chest beating out of this for a moment...

As someone who has cruised with a baby (coastal), and who intends of going cruising offshore with a small child I have to admit that what happened to Eric and Charlotte is one of our biggest fears.

Puddin' is partly right that yes there is a risk involved in cruising with children in so much as you are taking them out of the reach of medical help.

We believe it is a small, manageable risk, like all risk factors in sailing, it is one we have considered from all angles and we mitigate the risk as best we can and to a point where we consider that it is acceptable risk.

Being a parent is all about balancing risks and making hard decisions. When someone has raised the perfect child, making only right decisions and has perfected the formula of life please let me know.

Meanwhile we will be cruising with our kids, as safely we can.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #27 of 620 Old 04-07-2014

Quote:
Healthy kids just don't need to be kept near a hospital at all times unless there is a known underlying illness.
Hi MedSailor,

I've been following the whole story quite closing and I've noticed something about the timings that makes the hair on my neck stand on ends.

Charlotte has a blog post on March 11 about her and Lyra testing positive for Salmonella, At the end of the post she mentions the following:

"Cora: la princesa (as she calls herself) is currently taking three types of antibiotics, and a cough suppressant, to battle a bacterial upper respiratory infection.

Lyra: my little engineer (as I call her) is currently taking three types of antibiotics and a steroid, to battle bronchitis and a bacterial upper respiratory infection."

With both kids on 3 sets of AB's, Lyra fighting Salmonella/Bronchitis 9 days later they set sail, Without knowing the exact AB's they were on I can only guess but in my experience it would be 7-10days of AB's then follow up.

Clearly Lyra wasn't over whatever she had on land or was compromised by something new, I was wondering what your thoughts are as a medical professional given the closeness of the illness to the start of the passage. I would be uneasy sailing off that soon given bronchitis + high humidity is not a good place to be
post #28 of 620 Old 04-07-2014

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccara View Post

With both kids on 3 sets of AB's, Lyra fighting Salmonella/Bronchitis 9 days later they set sail, Without knowing the exact AB's they were on I can only guess but in my experience it would be 7-10days of AB's then follow up.
I get the feeling that recurrence of salmonella can be caused by immunodeficiency. Perhaps the seasickness brought it back on?

Anyway, if both kids are on 3 antibiotics each a life at sea would have been far healthier!

In my 5 years at sea I have had a slight cold once.

I have never been more healthy in my life.

At a cruiser gathering, BBQ, Or bar you never hear a cough, splutter or see an inhaler sucked.

A doctor relying on cruisers would go broke qucktime!

Instead of telling people not to go sailing with kids I say get the hell out of the filthy city and give your kids the chance to grow up healthy!!!

Take them sailing and you will find you can chuck the antibiotics overboard when their useby date expires.

Mark
tdw, Dog8It, Brent Swain and 4 others like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #29 of 620 Old 04-07-2014
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

Instead of telling people not to go sailing with kids I say get the hell out of the filthy city and give your kids the chance to grow up healthy!!!

Take them sailing and you will find you can chuck the antibiotics overboard when their useby date expires.

Mark
Ummm careful Mark, then every anchorage will be full of boats with screaming little rugrats like ours destroying all your sundowner peacefulness

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

post #30 of 620 Old 04-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin'_Tain View Post
And that is your choice, but you shouldn't bash others for making their choices.

They were close to 1000 miles in to their run of just over 3000 so they were 1/3 of the way there. This would have been the longest part of their journey, but most places they were to visit have medical care. It's not they were going 25,000 miles straight through.
Brent Swain and captain jack like this.

Don & Diana
sv Re Metau an HC33t

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in