Gunboat 55 Dismasted, Abandoned off Hatteras... - SailNet Community
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 104 Old 01-30-2015 Thread Starter

Gunboat 55 Dismasted, Abandoned off Hatteras...

The first question obviously, end of January, WTF were they doing out there, with this sort of weather?

Here's the initial report, posted by Gunboat's Peter Johnstone over on SA:

Quote:

Posted Today, 05:34 PM

Please say a prayer for RAINMAKER’s crew.

RAINMAKER was dismasted today 36 hours into her passage out of the Gunboat yard about 200 miles SE of Hattaras. From the very brief and patchy sat phone call, and various brief texts, the following is all we have been told:

*Everyone is accounted for aboard, including the owner, his son, and three professional crew.
*The rig was promptly cut away.
*The boat was not holed.
*At the last update there were no injuries.

Conditions are evidently quite severe. It is not uncommon for the cold NW winds to accelerate over the Gulf Stream to windspeeds well above what may show on grib files. They have a large South swell, and are faced with deteriorating conditions with a building NW breeze in the Gulf Stream. Waves and swells have been observed from onboard to be getting worse over the course of the day.

An onboard decision has been made to be airlifted off of the boat. The US Coast Guard expects to be on site within 30 minutes.

These people are a part of our Gunboat family. Please say a prayer for the safe recovery of the RAINMAKER crew and the safety of the USCG rescue team that has been dispatched. An airlift is not an easy operation in any conditions, never mind these conditions. The Atlantic in February is a merciless place.

Thank you everyone. All five crew from Rainmaker have been safely airlifted off of RAINMAKER moments ago and are in a helicopter on their way back to shore.

Gunboat and RAINMAKER's insurer are actively coordinating her salvage. This will not be easy as conditions are meant to be terrible on Monday.

PLEASE SAY A PRAYER FOR RAINMAKER'S CREW - Multihull Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums
Wow, just WOW...

Do you suppose he spilled his Martini?

Hope he treats the CG Rescue Swimmer and Helo crew to a couple, after their return to Elizabeth City... ;-)

Forbes Life

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 Old 01-30-2015

Re: Gunboat 55 Dismasted, Abandoned off Hatteras...

Always sorry to hear about the loss of a vessel. Glad all are safe. The wind is howling outside my door. Linus is also on the way. No way, I'd want to be off Cape Hattaras

Article said that they had a computer aided reefing system.
post #3 of 104 Old 01-30-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Always sorry to hear about the loss of a vessel. Glad all are safe. The wind is howling outside my door. Linus is also on the way. No way, I'd want to be off Cape Hattaras

Article said that they had a computer aided reefing system.
EVERYTHING on that boat is computer-aided... :-)

There is no electrical panel, for instance - only touch screens... (pics are from the older Gunboat 60)

Load sensors on all the components of the rig, which one would think would alleviate much of the risk of a dismasting... The sheets can be set to release when loads reach a preset limit, and there are 'Sheet Dump' buttons at a number of locations around the boat...

GUNBOAT 60: The Future Is Now | Sailfeed

Still, in the wake of the loss of the Alpha 42 BE GOOD TOO in similar circumstances last winter, you've gotta wonder whether the loss of Hull #1 of the latest state of the art multihull in the North Atlantic in January is gonna become a regular thing?

As you say, it's blowing like hell here on the Jersey coast tonight, can't imagine what it's like down off Hatteras right now... However, this weather was well forecast in advance, more than 36 hours ago, the timing of this one seems like a bit of a head-scratcher, for sure...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 01-30-2015 at 09:45 PM.

post #4 of 104 Old 01-30-2015
RTB
TROUBLE

Jon, what are your thoughts about the dismasting? I wouldn't care to go in that weather, but from what I read, all the Bluewater cruiser's boats would easily handle 30-40 knots, and 12' seas....

Seriously though, I'm happy everyone made it ok.

We made some friends in Brunswick, Georgia, that had friends on a cat that lost the rig during the Caribbean 1500/SDR, or around that time back in 2013. I'm not sure they were actually in either event. The weather was not all that extreme, but the seas were very confused. Waves from every direction. I've been on a 46' cat, and know the motion is very different than a mono. I'd speculate the same applies in this case.

So, maybe speculate on the conditions and the reason for the rig failure.

Ralph
jslindner likes this.

S/V FUGUE
HUNTER 36
KEMAH, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 104 Old 01-30-2015
Banned

That's a damn fine boat:

A dismasting? Hmm...

Maybe the sprit let go? Or a shroud?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-30-2015 at 10:30 PM.
post #6 of 104 Old 01-30-2015

Hate to be their insurance carrier

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 104 Old 01-31-2015
islander bahama 24

Glad to hear all are safe but wtf looked at Sunday and looks much better to get sea room why did they get underway into that soup waiting for 48 hours would have made sense to me must have been on the worst thing possible ( a schedule)

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

post #8 of 104 Old 01-31-2015
Picnic Sailor

Again glad to hear all is safe.

I am having some trouble understanding the decision to abandon with 5 people onboard and the rig cut free, it would seem in a boat of that size and capability quite feasible to run for the the nearest port?

I wasn't onboard so don't want to second guess decisions made, but perhaps we are missing some information here.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

post #9 of 104 Old 01-31-2015

Here is an interesting article in Forbes:

Scudding through New York Harbor amid bobbing sailboats, looming fuel barges and the orange-hulled Staten Island Ferry, Brian Cohen’s $2.5 million Gunboat 55 catamaran is an island of calm. Guests sip a crisp Sancerre at a table in the yacht’s teak-decked salon as Cohen steers the boat downwind toward Manhattan.

"Tell 'em I'm busy. I'm on a sails call."
post #10 of 104 Old 01-31-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
.......I am having some trouble understanding the decision to abandon with 5 people onboard and the rig cut free, it would seem in a boat of that size and capability quite feasible to run for the the nearest port?......
A northerly gale in the Gulf Stream with swell from the south. That's almost the textbook definition of bad. Those waves must have been standing straight up. A rollover in a dismasted catamaran was a real risk and they don't come back over.

Hard to imagine the logic of pressing into it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in