Serious attack on cruisers in Haiti - Injuries - Page 15 - SailNet Community
 153Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 185 Old 01-13-2016

Re: Serious attack on cruisers in Haiti - Injuries

Some of this is Bonfire of the Vanities and some circular reasoning.
If you are actually cruising you will be new to the next area you visit. You will not have local knowledge. Through cruiseheimers or like nets you can ask but even that input may not be current or correct.
No country does not have bad elements including your own. Maybe it's a small %age but that's irrelevant if you are unfortunate enough to interact with that sociopath.
There are hots spots in all countries be it east side of Tortola or St Johns or Nausau or the ABCs or Haiti or western carribean or wherever. Yes there are regions that are unsafe as well. Accept pragmatically carrying firearms is difficult and likely ineffectual. Similarly in general risks are the same as if you were unlucky or unwise in your home town.
Yes do what you can to mitigate your risks but as said sinking from a lighting strike is more likely.

BTW not having a raft especially if you sail outside helicopter range or in areas such as the carribean where SAR is often by volunteers is just foolish.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 01-13-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 185 Old 01-13-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
BTW not having a raft especially if you sail outside helicopter range or in areas such as the carribean where SAR is often by volunteers is just foolish.
Not arguing for or against rafts just that sometimes you are better spending limited time and resources on significantly higher risks. A captain can do a lot to prevent sinking for the cost of a life raft. Just because I have a life raft on a Mcgregor 26 doesn't mean I should sail it to Bermuda.
post #143 of 185 Old 01-13-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterrat View Post
Fear and more fear. 99% of folks want to get along and live in healthy and safe places. It is a very small number of people that want to harm others.
It's not fear mongering, it's simple fact. If it scares you that pirates do indeed exist, even though you are statistically never going to interact with them, that's your choice.

It's also your choice whether or not you want to prepare for that 1% that might happen. Like I said elsewhere, for many of you it's just not worth the hassle preparing for that 1%. And that is also perfectly fine and reasonable.

1984 MacGregor 25

I don't know what I'm doing.

post #144 of 185 Old 01-13-2016

Prepare for the 1% but make sure you are prepared for the other 99% first. Limited time and resources means you must quantify and mitigate significant risks first. That is only prudent and rational. I might get shot standing on the bow working sails but I am more likely to go overboard and drown. Should I choose a bullet proof vest or a harness and PFD? Should I buy the bullet proof vest while neglecting other and more significant risks. That is my point. Part of good seamanship is to be prepared for the 1%. Where does piracy fall on the long list of risk? Should I waste my limited resources of time and money mitigating the greater threat first or instead focus on the least probable?
post #145 of 185 Old 01-13-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
So now we have terrorist groups with more money than gawd and you think that they are going to steal a 5/6 knot 40' sailboat for a terrorist attack, when they can legally buy something a great deal bigger and faster and more able to avoid the authorities, that no one is looking for?
I don't.
And, ehm, they would also have to learn to sail the darn thing. And to dock it at least well enough to not drown, and not to crash into so many things that the whole neighborhood wakes up.

Wouldn't be my first choice as a terrorist.
TakeFive and capta like this.
post #146 of 185 Old 01-13-2016

Article never mentioned sailing vessels and neither have I if misunderstood by anyone here... But to believe the pirates aren't sailors or know how to sail a vessel, how do you think they're out there in the seas to start out with, they aren't afraid of the dangerous ocean so surely because they use a powerboat does not mean anyone of them does not know how to sail... not rocket science as others have mentioned in other threads?
post #147 of 185 Old 01-13-2016
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Article never mentioned sailing vessels and neither have I if misunderstood by anyone here... But to believe the pirates aren't sailors or know how to sail a vessel, how do you think they're out there in the seas to start out with, they aren't afraid of the dangerous ocean so surely because they use a powerboat does not mean anyone of them does not know how to sail... not rocket science as others have mentioned in other threads?
We should encourage them to spend more time on the forums...

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #148 of 185 Old 01-13-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
We should encourage them to spend more time on the forums...
Agree... much less dangerous here... at the worse maybe carpal tunnel syndrome at the keyboards!
post #149 of 185 Old 01-13-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
This was not about your garden variety pirates but about the fear that terrorists take over boats as a means to get to the US undetected
post #150 of 185 Old 01-13-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
This was not about your garden variety pirates but about the fear that terrorists take over boats as a means to get to the US undetected
Don't know about 'garden variety' pirates (need them in my garden working away)... but any pirate boarding your vessel you're not going to know their motives... be it riches of the loot or the vessel for other motives... Pirates are terroristic one way or another... motives well... that's another you won't know till it happens.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in