Adrift sv Dagny, West End, Grand Bahama - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 115 Old 01-03-2016

Re: Adrift sv Dagny, West End, Grand Bahama

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
CF is having another one of their heavily moderated love fests. Like they did for the Rebel Heart idiots.

Tragedy Strikes. - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
I know, I was one of the casualties over there. A couple of members were lambasting the guy and I asked them to give it a rest. Then my post's were deleted. C'est la vie.
I had been there for 8 years and maybe posted 100 times and only bought from there sponsors a few time so I am no big loss.
sharkbait likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 115 Old 01-03-2016

Some people forget they made mistakes in the past. "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle." Plato, I think. kev
John McIntosh Sr. likes this.
post #23 of 115 Old 01-03-2016
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Interesting that neither here nor there, anyone has mentioned that a "Bahamian Mooring" aka dropping two anchors in a "V" anticipating that one will break free and the other will be there to help keep the boat anchored, is called a BAHAMIAN MOORING for a reason. Presumably because it is used more often for some odd reason in, uh the BAHAMAS?

I had a firmly anchored boat start to sneak away while I took a really fast dingy trip ashore one day. "Hey, is that boat drifting?" and fortunately it was slower than I was. But I no longer trust ay anchor that I'm strong enough to lift, and I give mooring balls only slightly more faith. I'm glad I just got a scare out of the first time.

post #24 of 115 Old 01-03-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
There have been some objections to the perceived pounding on this guy while he's down on his luck. Please remember that personal attacks are still not welcome on this forum whether the person is a member or not. Civilly discussing his decisions, on the other hand, is a learning opportunity for all of us.
I agree with Donna.

I would like to point out that decision-making deteriorates with fatigue. You can talk about his initial choice to sail alone, and the issues of preparation and weather knowledge. Until you have spent many days on end without much or any sleep you should not talk about the decisions made at the end of that kind of experience.

In my own case I was fortunate. I was out seven days single-handed with a fifteen minute timer. I was very fortunate to have good friends on the other end of an SSB connection and I had enough brain cells left to, eventually, listen to their advice. SV Dagny didn't have that. I was also not seasick. I have had sick crew and reading the couple of sentences about sleeping on a bench in a park my heart went out to him.

Have you never made a mistake? Have you never had your life go pear shaped?

SV Dagny could have made better choices. We can leave it at that. Wouldn't you like people to pitch in and help you when something goes wrong?

We can indeed learn from the mistakes of others. We don't have to beat up the "others" in the process.
RichH, kjango, bigdogandy and 3 others like this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to SVAuspicious For This Useful Post:
John McIntosh Sr. (01-04-2016)
post #25 of 115 Old 01-03-2016

Any word on the boat being spotted?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #26 of 115 Old 01-03-2016
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Interesting that neither here nor there, anyone has mentioned that a "Bahamian Mooring" aka dropping two anchors in a "V" anticipating that one will break free and the other will be there to help keep the boat anchored, is called a BAHAMIAN MOORING for a reason. Presumably because it is used more often for some odd reason in, uh the BAHAMAS?

I had a firmly anchored boat start to sneak away while I took a really fast dingy trip ashore one day. "Hey, is that boat drifting?" and fortunately it was slower than I was. But I no longer trust ay anchor that I'm strong enough to lift, and I give mooring balls only slightly more faith. I'm glad I just got a scare out of the first time.

The Bahamian mooring is not necessarily set in a "V" configuration as that would mean the anchors are set 45 degrees apart. The Bahamian mooring is set 180 degrees apart, one anchor opposing the other to deal with the changing tides and currents which are prevalent in the Bahamas.

sharkbait likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to smj For This Useful Post:
sharkbait (01-03-2016)
post #27 of 115 Old 01-03-2016
smj

Quote:
Hey, I feel bad for this guy, but he screwed up big time and now he's on the interwebs trying to cadge money from strangers.
How much did the kaufmans make? $16,000-$17,000?
http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/ind...owtopic=156426

This guy is not trying to "cadge" money from anyone. He never asked for money, and when offered he only took as a loan. Hopefully his boat will be found and returned to him.

post #28 of 115 Old 01-03-2016

Dock

Quote:
It was a reference to people scrounging cash on CF to bail them out of situations that their incompetence got them into
At no point has Gil ever seemed to come across that he was relying on the people of CF to bail him out of anything. He merely posted the unfortunate situation he found himself in, other people have offered such, and as OceanGirl mentioned, he has stated that if he accepted any help financially, it would be a loan, which to me doesn't sound like begging for help in any way, shape or form.

Horizons Found
1976 Newport 28

post #29 of 115 Old 01-03-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Any word on the boat being spotted?

No new sightings. I've created a flyer so we can start emailing the marinas up the coast. If you'd like a copy to put up at your Marina ( obviously if you are in the possible drift area) I'd be glad to email it to you. Here is a copy with out the pics. But the email I send you will have the pictures of drift route and of boat.

Flyer:

Please be advised that the 26 ft sailing vessel Dagny has dragged anchor and suspected to be drifting north in the Gulf Stream. She is showing no lights and is a hazard to navigation.

Contact info
If sighted, please contact the Coast Guard, and if possible email the persons below:

SSCA recovery coordinator, Glen [email protected]
Owner - Gil [email protected]

Vessel Info
26ft sailboat, Morris Francis, mid 1970s
Flush deck
Light grey color deck, white hull with dark blue/black stripes
Double ender
Boom Gallows
Sails stowed on deck
Windvane, stern hung rudder
All ports and hatches closed and locked
May still have her quarantine yellow flag up.
Sal Paradise likes this.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

Last edited by oceangirl; 01-04-2016 at 04:20 PM.
post #30 of 115 Old 01-04-2016

Ocean Girl, I am making up flyers for Carolina Beach, NC area.
There was another photo of Dagny I think you posted on CF.
(stern).
Do you still have it and would you email to me?
I cannot PM you as I have not posted enough.
Thanks.

John Mcintosh

Last edited by John McIntosh Sr.; 01-04-2016 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in