Jose Fernandez tragedy news coverage. - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 Old 09-26-2016

Re: Jose Fernandez tragedy news coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
Incredibly sad story - he was a good guy and well loved in the community here.

It's not uncommon to have boats run into that jetty at night - I've almost done it myself. With the lights of the city in the background the channel markers can get obscured and you can believe you are in clear water if you're not paying close attention.
Andy, knowing what you just said would you run that inlet at 50+ mph -- at NIGHT -- with NO visibility?

These guys were VERY familiar with those waters. They were incredibly irresponsible and thankfully only killed themselves.

Would it be a sad story if it wasn't a baseball player?

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 09-26-2016 Thread Starter
Tartan 27' owner

Ok, so finally the us media outlets are showing the photo of the wreck.

I still think it is interesting that bbc.news was the first to show it.

I am trying not to armchair speculate about all the details of this wreck but a new detail has emerged. The 32' boat was registered to Jose Rodriguez.

Impossible to speculate who was at the helm or just how fast they were going.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 28 Old 09-27-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Andy, knowing what you just said would you run that inlet at 50+ mph -- at NIGHT -- with NO visibility?

These guys were VERY familiar with those waters. They were incredibly irresponsible and thankfully only killed themselves.

Would it be a sad story if it wasn't a baseball player?
Jim - yes I think it would be a sad story regardless of who was involved, but the fact that it involved a well known sports figure just means the incident is getting more attention than if it only involved three average joes. There are a lot of incidents just like this in south Florida every year, and every one of them is a tragedy for the families and friends of the people involved. I do share your resentment for irresponsible boaters, though, whether they are intentionally being jackasses behind the wheel or are just ignorant of basic boater safety.
JimMcGee likes this.

Andy
Cruising
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry

post #14 of 28 Old 09-27-2016

My experience with "recreational power boats" is that they can't stand going slower than their engines will push the boat... and for the most part consider the waters "theirs". We've also notice that they love to drive across your bow... tossing up a large wake.. even altering course to do this. This is no different from the childish reckless behavior on the road of motorcycles who bob and weave, through traffic... even on the a very crowded highway. Hot "rods" do exactly the same thing here in the NYC metro roads. This is the behavior of selfish narcissists. I suppose they think their wake is like a reminder of how powerful their engines are???? In "open water"... no roads, no signs, no speed limits.. Oh what fun!

And a fair amount of these boats are for speed thrills only... though some big sport fishers are offenders too. There is such easy access to boats.. and no licensing laws in the States... anyone can plot down the cash, pay people to "service" their toys and terrorize local waters at will. They have little to no boating skill... and are a danger themselves, but worse to others.

You don't find many of these irresponsible asshats up in Maine... but in over populated cash rich Southern New England they dominate. Not a good thing.

So many idiots and so little time.
post #15 of 28 Old 09-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
My experience with "recreational power boats" is that they can't stand going slower than their engines will push the boat... and for the most part consider the waters "theirs". We've also notice that they love to drive across your bow... tossing up a large wake.. even altering course to do this.
There's been an increase in this behavior on the Barnegat as well...we've even had them wave to us as they do it, obviously thinking it's funny.
baywater likes this.

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #16 of 28 Old 09-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Impossible to speculate who was at the helm or just how fast they were going.
Most of the articles I've seen have said that Fernandez was not driving, but did not say how they were able to determine that. (The one exception I found just said it was "unclear" whether or not Fernandez was driving, but also points out that neither of the other two men who were killed in the wreck had boating licenses).

They've also stated that the initial investigation suggests the boat was traveling at or near its maximum speed, which would put it in the 55-65 mph neighborhood at the time it ran into the jetty.

But I've also seen conflicting reports over who owned the boat itself (some say it was registered to Fernandez, and some say it wasn't), so I guess at this point it's still a bit of "who knows for sure."

Current Boat: TBD
Currently Crewing: 22' Pearson Ensign (Wednesday Night Fall Racing)
Sailing Area: Casco Bay, Maine, USA
post #17 of 28 Old 09-27-2016

I'm a stranger to this jetty, but here's the chart:
Chart 11468

Sand as far as the eye can see to the north, and partly to the south, with the only "rocks" being the entrance jetties, guarded by flashing red nun "12" right near where they ran up onto the north jetty, and quick-flashing green can "11" opposite.

Hard for me to understand, at least from afar. Harbor entrances are where you go from electronic to primarily visual lookout, and slow down from "sea speed".

Last edited by nolatom; 09-27-2016 at 12:49 PM.
post #18 of 28 Old 09-27-2016
Mermaid Hunter

I've been through that inlet more times than I can count. It is well marked and well lit. Of course I'm generally not going 50 mph. *grin* In my experience even the go-fast guys in full daylight don't run that fast.

I wasn't there and all any of us have to go on is reporting (notoriously bad) and one picture.

I have some speculation but I'm not sure that it would be useful before the official findings are released.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #19 of 28 Old 09-27-2016

Fernandez was not in command. In fact, it has been reported that the owner of the boat--who was onboard, was also killed, and undoubtedly was in command--was familiar with the area and took friends (including Fernandez and other Marlins players) out night fishing quite regularly. Stupidly dangerous on his part, but his companions probably didn't really know any better. They trusted him. They probably shouldn't have, but they obviously did. So saying that Fernandez's death was a "Darwin Award" situation is incredibly heartless and unfair.

This was clearly the fault of the boat's operator, and no one else. I find it pretty cold, but I guess I can understand if someone wants to say that he got what he deserved. The deaths of the other two, however, are nothing short of an absolute tragedy.
post #20 of 28 Old 09-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Fernandez was not in command. In fact, it has been reported that the owner of the boat--who was onboard, was also killed, and undoubtedly was in command--was familiar with the area and took friends (including Fernandez and other Marlins players) out night fishing quite regularly. Stupidly dangerous on his part, but his companions probably didn't really know any better. They trusted him. They probably shouldn't have, but they obviously did. So saying that Fernandez's death was a "Darwin Award" situation is incredibly heartless and unfair.
On the subject of "notoriously bad," it has been variously reported that Fernandez was not the owner of the boat, that Fernandez was the owner of the boat (or was at least the name of record on the registration), that Fernandez was not driving, that it is currently unknown whether or not Fernandez was driving, that the boat owner made such outings regularly, that neither of the two non-Fernandez-ers even had boating licenses, etc.

Honestly, though, regardless of what information the reports finally settle on, I'm of the position that no matter what the circumstances, experience levels, ownership situations, or driver scenarios were, going 50+ mph at 3 AM in an area with rocky jetties is never going to be a great idea.

Current Boat: TBD
Currently Crewing: 22' Pearson Ensign (Wednesday Night Fall Racing)
Sailing Area: Casco Bay, Maine, USA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in